cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 1080 Strix runs hot and loud

niczo
Level 7
I got two 1080's in SLI, the Strix Non-OC versions that come with standard factory clocks.

One of the cards runs cool at around 63-67C but can't reach 2Ghz no matter what, which is too bad but expected I guess.

The other one however basically runs as hot as I will let it, it overclocks past 2Ghz but in order to keep it below 83C I have to run the fans at 90% which is too noisy for my taste. It doesn't seem like a problem with heat transfer to the heatsink, since the air blowing out from that card feels significantly hotter.
In SLI benchmarks and games I get between 1.6-1.7Ghz with both cards slowing down because one hits 83C.

Did I just get a lemon or is there a legitimate complaint here? The OC edition cards haven't shipped in any numbers in my region yet so I chose to go with the 10$ cheaper ones, getting a 10% performance hit because of that choice seems a bit harsh to me.
24 REPLIES 24

Menthol
Level 14
These cards are so hard to get at this time that you may not find any users with a similar setup to comment on this issue, first I would say congrats that you got one card much less two
You may need better airflow in your case to extract the heat as this type of cards expels the heat into your case rather than out like a FE edition, that is just to hot , remove your case side panel or add additional case fans or return one card if you can
You could also replace the TIM on the cards but if they have the little sticker on the heatsink screw you may void the warranty

Chino
Level 15

niczo
Level 7
I have run both cards in single and SLI configurations, and one simply runs much hotter than the other. I also noticed an hour ago that the other, less noisy and cooler card has a broken Displayport connector. Such exceptional quality control by Asus, I'm thoroughly impressed...

niczo wrote:
I have run both cards in single and SLI configurations, and one simply runs much hotter than the other.

In a SLI configuration, the primary GPU (usually the top one) will always fun hotter than the others. That's normal behaviour.

Chino wrote:
In a SLI configuration, the primary GPU (usually the top one) will always fun hotter than the others. That's normal behaviour.

I thought that would be it too but his follow up comment seems to contradict it.

niczo wrote:
The hotter card was the first one I bought, and on its own it still ran very hot. Same when I swapped the card and used it as secondary.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist
Have you tried swapping the cards and using the secondary as the primary? This behavior and specifically the heat load may just be related to unbalanced utilization. It's pretty normal for SLI.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Have you tried swapping the cards and using the secondary as the primary? This behavior and specifically the heat load may just be related to unbalanced utilization. It's pretty normal for SLI.

The hotter card was the first one I bought, and on its own it still ran very hot. Same when I swapped the card and used it as secondary.

FuryA
Level 8
How long have cards bought
Another way is to contact the dealer who sells?
Try to swap new

hiong
Level 8
try running your computer with the side panel off and a desk fan pointing right into your case, do the temps improve significantly?