cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noctua NH-D15S

Medico
Level 7
Hi to all,

I am building new rig with this motherboard Maximus VIII extreme. I want to continue using air cooler. I tried Noctua NH-D15 but blocked the PCI-E first slot. I was informed that Noctua NH-D15S will work and will not blocked PCI-E first slot. Is that your understanding too? Moreover, to overclock, is it necessary 2 fans or one would be enough?
Thanks,
Medico
12 REPLIES 12

Kenrou
Level 8
http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s

It wont block 1st PCI-E. It only comes with one fan but it really depends how much you want to overclock, and what setup you have, a little more info would help everyone that replies and tries to help you here.
CPU: i7-6700k @4.7ghz
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
GPU: Strix 980ti OC

RAM: 2x 8GB Ripjaws V 3200mhz C14
Motherboard: Maximus VIII Hero

SSD: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
HDD: 1x WD Black 4TB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold
CASE: Fractal Define R5 Black

Vlada011
Level 10
So big cooler on Extreme board.
You don't like visible whole motherboard from outside, with some AIO that's possible.
This is only suggestion, some people like Tower coolers. I like smaller Noctua series for 9cm fans.

Thank you for your reply. I am waiting for new board because the one I have did not want to post in the very beginning. I was getting code 53 in spite memories were compatible. Later on I was able to go to OS but with only one memory. It was random problems and even changed memories but still the code 53. I can report that my new rig which I upgraded from my last built P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP that was working good for 7 years, has the following specifications for now: PSU - CORSAIR HXi Series HX850i, CPU- Intel Core i7-6700K, storage- SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB, CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB), GPU- EVGA GeForce GTX 970.

Kenrou
Level 8
You should be able to get 4.4ghz/4.5ghz no problems with just one fan (or higher if you get lucky with the CPU) 58043

Chino
Level 15
Medico wrote:
Hi to all,

I am building new rig with this motherboard Maximus VIII extreme. I want to continue using air cooler. I tried Noctua NH-D15 but blocked the PCI-E first slot. I was informed that Noctua NH-D15S will work and will not blocked PCI-E first slot. Is that your understanding too? Moreover, to overclock, is it necessary 2 fans or one would be enough?
Thanks,
Medico

I would add another fan.

Thank you all for your replies. The motherboard that I have now with only one stick memory (I am concerned if I made changes the code 53 will come back) and the current air cooler, Noctua NH-D15 which I disable one fan, I overclocked it to 4.6 and passed 15 minutes of Benchmark of RealBench 2.43, thanks to God. However, maximum temperatures reached were Core 0-82, Core 1-81, Core 2-78, Core 3- 80. I increased PSU fan to 50% fixed. Most of times were in 70’s temperatures, voltage set to 1.35V. I left it manual for now, no adaptive yet as I am expecting a different motherboard with n o issues with the memory slots, no code 53 off the bat and the Noctua NH-D15S that will not blocked the first PCE slot. Noctua confirmed that is not problems, fully compatible with M8E. What do you think? I wonder if I need it to put less thermal paste so maximum temperatures will not reach 80, or it is ok the maximum but along that does not stay in low 80’s all the times? BIOS version is 1402.

Kenrou
Level 8
With your cooler (1xfan) high temps are normal, i have the original D15 with 2xfans and im getting ~85c at 1.4v (fans on silent profile in BIOS). Don't understand what you mean by "less thermal paste", did you put too much ?

hiong
Level 8
NH-D15 will interfere with a GPU in the first PCIe slot on the M8E, I have tried that exact same combination. Especially a GPU with a backplate. The D15 will definitely bee too close for comfort to the back of the GPU, I didn't want the metal part of the D15 to be in contact with any part of the back of the GPU. No issues at all with the D15S.

I wonder the reason for the 80’s temperatures if putting less will cool better. I thought that I put adequate amount but was larger than a grain of rice. When I remove it if reach to the CPU edge, it could be too much. Thank you all for the replies.