cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDR4-3000 does not run under correct frequence, Maximus VIII Hero

PhoenixHawk
Level 7
Hi,

I have the Maximus VIII Hero with latest BIOS (1701) and 32 GB of GeIL Superluce DDR4-3000 (2 2x8GB Kits. so all 4 slots used).
Timings are 15-17-17-35, for further info about the ram: The model number for the kit is GLR416GB3000C15ADC and the specs can be found here: http://www.geil.com.tw/products/showSpec/id/512

However, it seems I have a problem with it:

When configured on AUTO the BIOS shows only 2100 as frequency for the ram and when I select XMP profile for DDR4-3000 the system won't boot up.
Its telling me overclocking failed and I need to enter the BIOS again.

I'm not an expert in tweaking and overclocking, however I want to have the system run at a little bit of more performance than component-stock-speeds would allow.
However my step would be to get it running at stock speeds, do some benchmarks, then start tweaking and compare benchmarks.

So how would I configure the BIOS to correctly run the memory at the correct frequency of 3000 MHz for the first part?
5 REPLIES 5

Menthol
Level 14
2133 is stock speed, even though it is rated at 3000 mhz that is overclocked, start by reading the overclocking guide here on these forums and try entering the XMP settings manually, the voltage, frequency and first set of timings, 15-17-35, 1.35 volts, you may have to increase VCSA and VCIO voltages to get it there

Thanks, Menthol.

So just that I understand this correctly: I have to overclock my RAM already to run with the specified speed?
And then there maybe is still a bit more margin to overclock further?

I will go on and read through the overclocking guide, but up to now I'm already overwhelmed by things like tRP, tRAS and stuff, and the guide is not really explaining what all this means. So it probably will take some time until I figure out what I am going to do and where to find all that in the settings.

Menthol wrote:
2133 is stock speed, even though it is rated at 3000 mhz that is overclocked, start by reading the overclocking guide here on these forums and try entering the XMP settings manually, the voltage, frequency and first set of timings, 15-17-35, 1.35 volts, you may have to increase VCSA and VCIO voltages to get it there

Okay, that didn't work out as expected.

I can run the RAM with 2900 MHz with 1.35V and AUTO VCCIO and System Agent currents.

However I could not get the system to boot up with 3000 MHz.
Even if I increase DRAM Voltage up to 1.38 and also increase VCCIO to 1.2 and SA to 1.25 the system won't start. Board stops booting with Error code 55 and after a hard power cycle it says overclocking failed and goes back to 2133 MHz.

So, what would be the next options / steps to use the RAM at the designated speed and timings?

PhoenixHawk wrote:
Okay, that didn't work out as expected.

I can run the RAM with 2900 MHz with 1.35V and AUTO VCCIO and System Agent currents.

However I could not get the system to boot up with 3000 MHz.
Even if I increase DRAM Voltage up to 1.38 and also increase VCCIO to 1.2 and SA to 1.25 the system won't start. Board stops booting with Error code 55 and after a hard power cycle it says overclocking failed and goes back to 2133 MHz.

So, what would be the next options / steps to use the RAM at the designated speed and timings?

I used to have issues like that. What helped is xmp profile. most of the time XMP was on point. Keyword most of the time. Things to check which i think yout touched on voltage of the dram. Just make sure you key in manual the voltage of the memory. Then you want to leave cpu on default settings. May want to increase default voltage of the cpu to the recomeneded volts of your CPU from Intel.
No overclock. See if the board boots and if she does then run a memtest and stress out the system running prime 95. this will ruile out any defects in the hardware. If all this runs then you have blessings to go on and overcl0ock your cpu.
So to make it easier set the bios back to default or optimize default settings. Then go to the memory and select xmp profile. Then go to voltage and manually key int he voltage for your memory and save it. Then boot. Run the Stress test to rule out any issues.

Hope that helps.

Chino
Level 15