cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6950x and Rampage V Extreme Slow Boot with Samsung 950 Pro. Need help

Cneves
Level 7
Hi,
Some days ago i made a new clean installation W 8.1 Pro usb efi in a brand new Rampage V Extreme Mobo. To do that, i used a friend´s 5820k cpu to flash the mobo and get it compatible with de 6950x (last bios firmware). The boot disk is a Samsung 950 Pro NMVE and it´s supposed to make a very fast boot.
The Fastboot option was enabled after load the base configuration (not reset- i want to avoid this) and the boot takes 60 sec...
An important information: i don´t upgraded the W8.1 should I upgrade first?

I´d like to know if somebody had this problem fixed or know the solution
Thanks!!

The hardware is:
Rampage V Extreme 3.1
Core i7 6950x
Samsung 950 pro 512 gb
Corsair h115i
Corsair AX1500i
Gskill TridentZ 3000mhz 32Gb
10 REPLIES 10

Chino wrote:
How long is your boot time at system defaults?

Chino:
The system boot time in default is 70 sec

Arne Saknussemm :

In fact this is a complex platform. I work with professional photography and must have a lot of hd (internal an external) and it´s very strong and stable system.

No specific Qcode appears.

No freezing boot

And now the problem seems the boot configuration:

I made a previous installation w8.1 (dvd) in PCI SSD Intel 750 series (without firmware update) and the system put the boot files in Samsung 950 pro.

So, I made a clean installation with a bootable pen in UEFI mode in 950 pro (Intel 750 was disconnected) after load the system defaults with all other hd and usb devices disconnected

It´s Done!!

The system takes 20 sec since power button is pressed until desktop appears.

I saw a video on youtube that shows a system boot in 6 sec but i don´t know how it´s possible ´cause the mobo makes several tests before restart beep appears

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
That is slow...I have fastboot turned off and boot time is 30 seconds. This platform is not as quick as others on boot times even if all is working well....more complex platform.

Having a 950Pro wiull not make much difference to boot time by the way.

Does the boot process stick on any Qcode in particular for a while?

When boot is handing over to windows does the "freeze" occur there?

When you installed OS was the 950Pro the only drive connected or did you have others connected...sometimes Windows puts boot files on other drives...

FuryA
Level 8
Suggest to install Win 10 and do the setting of UEFI Mode
That would be help boot more fast
Win8 can upgrade to Win 10 for free 🙂

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Nice one! Glad it's sorted...that is much better! 🙂

6 seconds seems more like waking from some sleep state....definitely not cold boot...

I agree.
In fact I could not imagine that the problem was the boot files in the wrong disk. Thanks for your help 🙂
Now I have to learn how to overclock my ram (it´s in idle mode now) 😉

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Aha! so the fun really begins 😄

Can be very easy or can throw up some problems...depends on CPU memory controller mostly...the silicon lottery...
Fingers crossed.....let us know how it is going...

Zarathustraa
Level 7
The 3000+ drivers are known for having slower boot times.