cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JX - Long RMA Wait Times

wango911
Level 7
Basically, I have this bad dilemma with ASUS and their poor RMA system since the beginning of May. So, here's a bit of background leading to today.

Back in early May, my laptop was experiencing BSOD's under Windows 10 (version 1511). It would happen at random times, and Windows would not display the BSOD at all (might be a Windows bug for that), only freeze and sometimes make horrible noise.

At first I assumed it was a video driver issue, so I went ahead and uninstalled my Nvidia driver using Display Driver Uninstaller. Reinstalled the driver again, and the issue still remained. I decided to reinstall Windows, same issue. Then I decided to downgrade to Windows 7, same issue. I realized it was a hardware related issue. I didn't really diagnose the issue, so I decided to use my lovely 1 year warranty to have my laptop looked at and repaired.

Here's where the RMA nightmare really begins.

I submit the first RMA to ASUS, when the ticket was created, I packed up the laptop, and sent it on its way. Took about a week for the laptop to be repaired and sent back, which was nice. When it came back around May 23rd, I reviewed the piece of paper that had the repair details on it. Motherboard was replaced and some cosmetic component that I didn't really care about.

Excited I was I got myself a repaired laptop, I got back to work and started using it. Upon 2 hours of use, BSOD. And after a few restarts from blue screening, realized the issue got worse.

I was pissed. I immediately called ASUS again to open another RMA ticket. I requested if I can receive a replacement laptop since they basically already replaced the motherboard, and it would be pointless to keep repairing it. Of course, the tech support agent made no guarantee, so I took that chance. This is where the fun REALLY begins.

I'm usually really good checking up on things to see how they are going, but while the laptop was in the repair facility in Silicon Valley, the RMA status on the look up website never was updated, NOT ONCE. So, I had no choice and spend at least 15-30 minutes of my time to call to check the status, each time I felt like it. Of course, whenever I connect to any tech support agent, they read the same thing I read. Totally helpful.

2 1/2 weeks later, I was getting impatient since I had no idea what was going on with my laptop. I called ASUS again demanding I get a written update on what's going on with my laptop. About 72 hours later, I get an email with a written update. Basically, they were in the process of replacing my laptop. OK, cool. However, they did not give any ETA in when they will receive it, nor when I will receive it.

Fast forward 1 week, now mid-June, I called back with a status, since they never updated my RMA ticket. Same scripted language, "You will be receiving your replacement". I demanded to talk to a tier-2 agent. Once I connect to the tier-2 guy, he sounded like he hated life. I demanded my RMA to escalated and expedited, in which he did... I hope.

I decided to stop calling support since every time I do, I will get nothing out of it. Now it's July 6th (as of this writing), and still have no laptop, and dying to play Overwatch, but I'm on a i5 Macbook Pro typing this out.

Any suggestions that I should do? I have read online of other ASUS RMA nightmare stories, but never thought it would happen to me.
19 REPLIES 19

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes PM cl-albert or Bahz, either may be able to help out with this RMA
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes PM cl-albert or Bahz, either may be able to help out with this RMA

Should I link to either to this thread? Because, I just joined the forums 2 days ago, after waiting for the cool down to lift, and I don't wanna seem like some random person messaging someone else without notice.

kidfromhell
Level 9
wango911 wrote:
Basically, I have this bad dilemma with ASUS and their poor RMA system since the beginning of May. So, here's a bit of background leading to today.

Back in early May, my laptop was experiencing BSOD's under Windows 10 (version 1511). It would happen at random times, and Windows would not display the BSOD at all (might be a Windows bug for that), only freeze and sometimes make horrible noise.

At first I assumed it was a video driver issue, so I went ahead and uninstalled my Nvidia driver using Display Driver Uninstaller. Reinstalled the driver again, and the issue still remained. I decided to reinstall Windows, same issue. Then I decided to downgrade to Windows 7, same issue. I realized it was a hardware related issue. I didn't really diagnose the issue, so I decided to use my lovely 1 year warranty to have my laptop looked at and repaired.

Here's where the RMA nightmare really begins.

I submit the first RMA to ASUS, when the ticket was created, I packed up the laptop, and sent it on its way. Took about a week for the laptop to be repaired and sent back, which was nice. When it came back around May 23rd, I reviewed the piece of paper that had the repair details on it. Motherboard was replaced and some cosmetic component that I didn't really care about.

Excited I was I got myself a repaired laptop, I got back to work and started using it. Upon 2 hours of use, BSOD. And after a few restarts from blue screening, realized the issue got worse.

I was pissed. I immediately called ASUS again to open another RMA ticket. I requested if I can receive a replacement laptop since they basically already replaced the motherboard, and it would be pointless to keep repairing it. Of course, the tech support agent made no guarantee, so I took that chance. This is where the fun REALLY begins.

I'm usually really good checking up on things to see how they are going, but while the laptop was in the repair facility in Silicon Valley, the RMA status on the look up website never was updated, NOT ONCE. So, I had no choice and spend at least 15-30 minutes of my time to call to check the status, each time I felt like it. Of course, whenever I connect to any tech support agent, they read the same thing I read. Totally helpful.

2 1/2 weeks later, I was getting impatient since I had no idea what was going on with my laptop. I called ASUS again demanding I get a written update on what's going on with my laptop. About 72 hours later, I get an email with a written update. Basically, they were in the process of replacing my laptop. OK, cool. However, they did not give any ETA in when they will receive it, nor when I will receive it.

Fast forward 1 week, now mid-June, I called back with a status, since they never updated my RMA ticket. Same scripted language, "You will be receiving your replacement". I demanded to talk to a tier-2 agent. Once I connect to the tier-2 guy, he sounded like he hated life. I demanded my RMA to escalated and expedited, in which he did... I hope.

I decided to stop calling support since every time I do, I will get nothing out of it. Now it's July 6th (as of this writing), and still have no laptop, and dying to play Overwatch, but I'm on a i5 Macbook Pro typing this out.

Any suggestions that I should do? I have read online of other ASUS RMA nightmare stories, but never thought it would happen to me.

I'm sorry that you had to go through this. Can I ask you something about the BSOD? Did you try to find out what was causing the crashes? Or can you let me know what were you working on when it crashed and restarted? And did you install the same programs again after your motherboard got replaced?

kidfromhell wrote:
I'm sorry that you had to go through this. Can I ask you something about the BSOD? Did you try to find out what was causing the crashes? Or can you let me know what were you working on when it crashed and restarted? And did you install the same programs again after your motherboard got replaced?

The BSOD bugchecks were always different, but mainly referenced to memory. The programs I ran were: Steam, Chrome, Discord, of course drivers, Windows 10, sometimes Mumble. It would crash when I would perform file transfers. Since it's under warranty, I didn't really feel like running some troubleshooting steps, mainly laziness. I downgraded to Windows 7 but still got BSODs.

wango911 wrote:
The BSOD bugchecks were always different, but mainly referenced to memory. The programs I ran were: Steam, Chrome, Discord, of course drivers, Windows 10, sometimes Mumble. It would crash when I would perform file transfers. Since it's under warranty, I didn't really feel like running some troubleshooting steps, mainly laziness. I downgraded to Windows 7 but still got BSODs.

Did you have any kind of antivirus/anti-malware programs installed? Or any kind of security suite, for example.

kidfromhell wrote:
Did you have any kind of antivirus/anti-malware programs installed? Or any kind of security suite, for example.

I run only Malwarebytes, paid version.

Quick update, since I'm having a back and forth with a customer service agent via email.

I learned that the long wait time is due to the fact the don't even have the replacement in stock to send me. My guess is because my laptop model is considered obsolete. I'm afraid they're gonna keep trying to get that model laptop as my replacement, therefore extending my wait.

wango911 wrote:
I run only Malwarebytes, paid version.

Awesome. This, this, this piece of software is exactly what I wanted to know. This brings to my second question - Does the crash occur when you're using Chrome most of the time or does it crash in general?

I'm asking you this because, I had this issue in my G750JX, sent it for repair to Squaretrade, it came back as it is, BSODs happened again, reported it to Squaretrade, the paid me the FULL price I paid for the laptop and I got a G751 in the end.

And.... the crash happened in my G751 as well. That's when I figured that something was wrong on the software side and not on hardware. I did some troubleshooting and found that Malwarebytes seemed to be the culprit. Had to change some settings on it and the notebook runs perfect, in fact this is a known bug with Malwarebytes. Poor Squaretrade.

But first, let us make sure if MB is causing it.

kidfromhell wrote:
Awesome. This, this, this piece of software is exactly what I wanted to know. This brings to my second question - Does the crash occur when you're using Chrome most of the time or does it crash in general?

I'm asking you this because, I had this issue in my G750JX, sent it for repair to Squaretrade, it came back as it is, BSODs happened again, reported it to Squaretrade, the paid me the FULL price I paid for the laptop and I got a G751 in the end.

And.... the crash happened in my G751 as well. That's when I figured that something was wrong on the software side and not on hardware. I did some troubleshooting and found that Malwarebytes seemed to be the culprit. Had to change some settings on it and the notebook runs perfect, in fact this is a known bug with Malwarebytes. Poor Squaretrade.

But first, let us make sure if MB is causing it.

It's gonna be a while since I'm waiting for my replacement to be sent to me, however, there's no eta on when that will be sent. Last I heard from them, which was only 3-4 days ago, the laptop replacement they wanted to get me, was not in stock. And this is the second time I was told this in a one month span.

As for the BSODs, it was general usage when it would occur, at first it was only when chrome was open, but then it was whenever it felt like it.