ROG Member Array

G752 New Hard Drive Install / Restore Method?

User manual and this web site is incomplete. Tells you how to physically install/upgrade a hard drive but not how to install/restore it like new again. This Windows 10 seems sketchy at doing this. I've made an image but get error trying to make a recovery drive.
    Is there not a sure way to just install Windows then install all the exact drivers from the Asus download site like when you build a new PC from scratch?
    I've found a folder called eSupport on the C drive that is ran by the Asus install program BUT the drivers Check box is greyed out even though all the drivers are in the folders under the eSupport folder. I don't get this and the manual doesn't mention this (or I haven't found it).
    Last edited by NitroStar; 07-07-2016 at 03:35 PM.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-installation)
    Asus Support Downloads

I use Macrium Reflect to create images of my OS SSD, Insure when creating Images that you image the entire disk, don't just pick out partitions select the entire disk/SSD create an image on a external USB drive, create the restore media Bootable USB, you can restore any time In just a few minutes

I can't help you with the eSupport folder.
    Last edited by Clintlgm; 07-08-2016 at 02:38 AM.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

If you left the original drive intact with all of its partitions you can put it back to factory state easy as pie. User manual is basic, they all are. Maybe buy windows for dummies?
    As for this website this is sponsored by ASUS but is 100% user driven. ASUS doesnt write manuals or how to threads on this website.

start>settings>update>update and security>recovery>reset this PC. Takes it right back to out of the box condition.

The rest after that is on you. Operation manuals assume a certain level of PC user proficiency and do not go into detail as the options are virtually unlimited.

I dont use windows back up and recovery outside of what I just mentioned.

My way of doing things that not everyone agrees with because it means moth balling the original drive.

First things first. Set up new PC and update drivers and software.
    Install new drive and clone OEM drive to it in its entirety meaning all partitions. If you are installing a Samsung 950 pro or the likes Samsung data migration works. Acronis True Image works as does Macrium reflect.

Once the new drive is ready to go I take the OEM drive out, put it in a box where it will spend its entire existence unless I need it for the oh crap factor when all other levels of recovery have failed.

With new drive in place and all software installed I open my wallet just a little and bought Acronis true image that I use for back ups to a NAS on a weekly basis. The first back up takes up quite a bit of space but after that its one of the only true incremental back up software solutions on the market that backs up only what has changed instead of the entire disk again.

I also keep windows 10 pro install on a USB drive strictly for repair and recovery that I have actually used just once when the windows boot options had to be repaired. You can also use it for other recovery options. Its all dependent on what has happened as to what my plan of recovery is. Last resort, break out the OEM drive, put it back in and repeat process at the top.
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 07-11-2016 at 04:19 AM.