cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is my cpu temps at idle way too high?

Dkp1988
Level 7
I live in San Antonio, Tx and im just wondering if this is too high for my 5820k haswell 6 core cpu

Motherboard 31 °C (88 °F)
CPU 35 °C (95 °F)
CPU Package 45 °C (113 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 36 °C (97 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 36 °C (97 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #3 35 °C (95 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #4 35 °C (95 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #5 34 °C (93 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #6 35 °C (95 °F)
PCH 37 °C (99 °F)
VRM 41 °C (106 °F)
GPU Diode 33 °C (91 °F)
WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 34 °C (93 °F)
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB 38 °C (100 °F)

these are the temps after my pc boots up into windows, not doing anything at all? I want to know cause i overclocked it earlier to 4.4ghz and i ran aida64 and saw temps of 83 to 84 degrees
14 REPLIES 14

Nate152
Hi Dkp1988

Your cpu temps look good, anything up to 90c is fine for stress testing but for everyday use/gaming no more than 70c.

Dkp1988
Level 7
what should my temps be if i overclock it to 4.5ghz and play h1z1 and stream to twitch at 720p 60 fps....?

because when I overclocked it yesterday to 4.4ghz i think i idle temps were like 40s 44 and 45s...

my friend thinks i didnt apply the thermal paste which I have icy diamond 24 carot but I know i did do you think i should re apply?

Nate152
Temps should be no more than 70c if you want your cpu to last. High temps can degrade and/or shorten the life of your cpu but with what you're showing it all looks good.

You can switch to adaptive mode to allow your cpu to drop speed and voltage when at idle, this in turn will lower idle temps.

I don't have the Rampage V Extreme but you should be able to set the cpu core voltage/vcore to adaptive mode then enter in your voltage, make sure the windows power plan is set to balanced then check to see the cpu frequency and voltage is dropping when at idle.

Dkp1988
Level 7
Should i re apply the paste to see if i can get a change in temps? and where can I do what your talking about is this in the bios?

Nate152
I don't know if you'll get any better temps with the noctua nh-d14 and a 6 core cpu but you can certainly try reapplying the thermal compound.

I like to use a dab about the size of a small pea in the center of the cpu then spread it evenly over the entire cpu with a credit card, it is important it is a thin even layer.

Be sure to remove the old compound with a soft cloth and a few drops of isopropyl alcohol to the cloth, Kleenex and toilet tissue are fine to use, paper towels are too abrasive.

Qwinn
Level 11
Those temps are probably ok but a little more info would help for us to be sure:

1) Are you running manual, offset or adaptive voltage?
2) What voltages are not set to auto, and their values.
3) What is your ambient temperature?
4) When you say your temps are 83 to 84 in Aida, do you mean core temps? Which options did you have checked when you ran it? If I run with the defaults, adding GPU testing to it can crank the temps over 10c.

Dkp1988
Level 7
1. everything was auto for the temps above those temps are temps with everything running @ stock speeds 3.3 ghz
my ambient temp in my room is like 79 to 82 degrees,

but when i overclocked my cpu to 4.4ghz the only thing i changed in the bios was the core multipler and and core volt to 1.3 and when I ran aida system stabilty test only the 3 top boxes where checked... but then later on after i ran it for a hour i stopped it and ran it with all the boxes checked and I was still reaching 83 to 84 degrees

I say core temps cause when I ran aida64 your able to look at the temps through aida when you click on sensor and it shows all the temps

it shows them like this (note these are temps that are not overclocked or anything im just using these as a example)
CPU #1 / Core #1 35 °C (95 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 36 °C (97 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #3 34 °C (93 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #4 36 °C (97 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #5 34 °C (93 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #6 34 °C (93 °F)

Qwinn
Level 11
Ok, for ambient temps that high and air cooling and no overclock, the idle temps you listed in your OP are roughly what I'd expect. I get about those temps if my ambient is the same as yours with a 1.3v 4.4Ghz overclock, but I am on liquid CPU cooling, so that makes sense.

For a more direct comparison, you could post what your idle temps are with a 1.3v 4.4 Ghz overclock, since that's pretty much what I'm running. With my AIO cooling at 79-82F ambients, I'll generally idle around 32-37c core temps.

Running Aida with ALL the boxes checked will make damn near any PC heat up in a big way, considerably hotter than OCCT large data set, for example. Frankly, if you could run it with all boxes checked and only hit low 80c maximum core temps, you're doing pretty good.

At any rate, to answer your subject line question - with ambients that high, no, I don't think mid 30's core temps are "way too high" at all. Possibly a tiny bit high running at stock, but not by much considering it's air cooling.

EDIT: "but when i overclocked my cpu to 4.4ghz the only thing i changed in the bios was the core multipler and and core volt to 1.3" - you didn't specify whether your "core volt to 1.3" was manual, adaptive or offset. Is "Fully Manual" enabled or disabled? Does your voltage ever drop much below 1.3v when at idle when you watch it In Aida? Note that you do have to be on balanced power plan in Windows (or high performance plan with the minimum processor state dropped to 5-10%) for the voltage to drop.