cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G752vl.. Do I need to set it up for games?

Eric_98
Level 7
Hello! I have a question about my new computer, as seen in the title, I got an ASUS G752vl as a gift and well... I never really have been a computer gamer, all my life I have only really been able to play on consoles. But! I'm just curious, do I need to do anything before I play games? Such as set something up or what not? I am a complete newbie with computers, and don't know much.

As of now, I do have steam, and have tried a few other games as a test.

But, I hope to play games such as subnautica, parkitect, the forest, and definitely Dishonored as well as the new Dishonored 2 when it comes out.

Is there anything I should know about setting this up to play games? Or can I just download and play? Thanks for reading and sorry for being so new to all this.
5 REPLIES 5

kidfromhell
Level 9
Congratulations on your new notebook and welcome to the ROG forums. Since you're a newbie, I'd keep this simple.
1. First of all, no configuration required. All you have to make sure is that the notebook is connected to an AC adapter when gaming (to increase the longevity of the battery and not to kill it fast). Also put the notebook under 'High Performance' mode (from battery options) when gaming. It doesn't matter much, but you don't want an underclocked CPU while gaming, do you?
2. Try to update the graphics driver to the latest version. Also, try to 'Clean Install' every-time you update. There are a couple of ways to do a clean install, but the easiest one would be checking a box in the NVIDIA driver update dialog box after you start the update.
3. Tinkering with graphics options - this sorely depends on what game you're playing. Go to Video/Graphics options under every game and change the values which suits the recommended config for a game. For example, games like Minecraft (un-modded), Dishonored and other indie titles you've mentioned, I guess you can hit an easy 60FPS under Ultra settings. So I'm pretty hopeful that every slider can be pushed to the maximum. As for Dishonored 2, you've to wait until it releases to find the perfect combo of quality-performance.
4. To check how well the graphics options work, use FRAPS to measure FPS inside games.

That's all I can think of without making things complicated. I'm sure that fellow ROG users would be here in no time to help you out with any additional questions/suggestions you might have.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Vlada011
Level 10
I think more and more about ROG laptop... G752VY I think with GTX980 and i7 and 16GB is available for 1600 euro. Off course in same time with desktop.
I'm not sure but Samsung 950PRO 512GB could be installed later probably and 1TB Samsung 850 EVO.
And new Ranger Backpack is great, that's for me necessary for protection of high end laptops, same as small mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse.

Great backpack...ROG Ranger...

JustinThyme
Level 13
You can do a little tweaking by making sure there are no resource hogs running while you are playing but don't get too upset when you don't get the performance you see others post about. Keep in mind you have an entry level machine, that while some features are better at entry level than others have been in the past it still lacks the GPU punch the the higher end models have.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
You can do a little tweaking by making sure there are no resource hogs running while you are playing but don't get too upset when you don't get the performance you see others post about. Keep in mind you have an entry level machine, that while some features are better at entry level than others have been in the past it still lacks the GPU punch the the higher end models have.

Oh, yeah. Justin is right. I absolutely forgot about the model and I was thinking that it was a G752VY. Yes, there'll be a performance dip on future games depending up on the settings you play. I apologize for the error. The setup remains the same!

Cheers!