cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EK Supremacy EVO and 6700K Mounting Help

ATG
Level 7
Finally found the time to assemble my new pc this weekend but I have a question/concern before I continue.

Motherboard is Maximus VIII Formula with an i7 6700k cpu. I'm installing an EK Supremacy Evo waterblock. I've read how the 6700K has a thinner substrate compared to previous generation CPUs.
http://www.modders-inc.com/psa-cooler-mounts-can-damage-skylake-cpus/

I've also read some threads in this forum where users have had boot/crash problems with coolers that are fastened too tight which have been remedied by backing off on the pressure of the CPU cooler mount.

The instructions for the EK waterblock states to tighten the screws "until you reach the end".

Will this be a problem? Should I disregard the instructions and back off a bit when tightening the waterblock? If anyone else with the same CPU and waterblock would share their experience I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hi ATG

You want to tighten the waterblock until it is just snug, overtightening it can push the cpu socket pins out of whack or warp the motherboard and that's where trouble begins.

I'm using the maximus viii formula with the 6700k and swiftech apogee GTZ waterblock.

Ambi__
Level 7
ATG wrote:
Finally found the time to assemble my new pc this weekend but I have a question/concern before I continue.

Motherboard is Maximus VIII Formula with an i7 6700k cpu. I'm installing an EK Supremacy Evo waterblock. I've read how the 6700K has a thinner substrate compared to previous generation CPUs.
http://www.modders-inc.com/psa-cooler-mounts-can-damage-skylake-cpus/

I've also read some threads in this forum where users have had boot/crash problems with coolers that are fastened too tight which have been remedied by backing off on the pressure of the CPU cooler mount.

The instructions for the EK waterblock states to tighten the screws "until you reach the end".

Will this be a problem? Should I disregard the instructions and back off a bit when tightening the waterblock? If anyone else with the same CPU and waterblock would share their experience I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

I don't have an i7 skylake but I do have an i5 skylake and a Supremecy MX. I had no problems mounting mine. I did swap my MX mounting hardware for the EVO's mounting hardware which essentially makes it identical in fit. Don't worry about over-tightening. Just go slow and steady, tightening with minimal torque in a star pattern until the screws no longer turn.

ATG
Level 7
Thanks for the replies.

I took your advice Nate, applying just enough pressure for a snug fit. EK support also suggested the same thing...they basically said to only tighten until I feel adequate resistance rather than going all the way.

Cheers.

ATG wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I took your advice Nate, applying just enough pressure for a snug fit. EK support also suggested the same thing...they basically said to only tighten until I feel adequate resistance rather than going all the way.

Cheers.

That's just fine, I also use the Evo on a 6700k and mounting was quite easy. I recommend liquid metal (I use Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut), that saves another 2-3 degrees

N0va
Level 7
With EKs CPU coolers and their mounting system I do not think you can do much wrong. If you tighten the screws by hand as far as you can do without hurting your fingers it will be fine. With the very fine milled caps and the short threads at the end I do not think you can actually damage your CPU or board.