Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

still on old bios 0401 from last year, and........

I am still on old bios 0401 from last year on my ranger viii, and been trying the last 8 months to update and always get the same error "selected file is not a proper bios" tried all the usual things like change usb sticks, different names and different ways, so my question is, i know there was a important update that put right the wrong fclk 800 settings, so seeing as i cant update my bios, is there anyway i can manually/overclock a setting to get it to the correct 1000 setting ?, im overclocked at a simple 45 x 100 all on auto, thx, oh, my pc has been stable from the start.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Daytrader View Post
    I am still on old bios 0401 from last year on my ranger viii, and been trying the last 8 months to update and always get the same error "selected file is not a proper bios" tried all the usual things like change usb sticks, different names and different ways, so my question is, i know there was a important update that put right the wrong fclk 800 settings, so seeing as i cant update my bios, is there anyway i can manually/overclock a setting to get it to the correct 1000 setting ?, im overclocked at a simple 45 x 100 all on auto, thx, oh, my pc has been stable from the start.

Did you use flashback?

1 Download the latest bios file on asus site.
    2 Extract bios file into USB drive FAT32 formaat
    Change File name to M8E.CAP And save it

Shut down you PC and wait 10 sec when its 100% off

3 : put USB to Back on your PC where it say (USB BIOS FLASHBACK PORT)

4: Press Bios icon on your back for about 5 sec when your see flashing for some time.. than Wait when it is over with flashing

5:Start your PC and go to your bios and press

Let me know how it turn out

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse ROG Chakram Core
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    Mouse Pad Steelseries QCK Prism XL
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

That's good but for the maximus viii ranger you want to rename the bios file to M8R.CAP

This is for the bios flashback method.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...BIOS-Flashback

On the Extreme tweaker tab go to "Tweakers Paradise", at the top you can change the FCLK to 400, 800, 1000.

BCLK x FCLK = System Agent clock.

Quote Originally Posted by darkempire View Post
    Did you use flashback?

1 Download the latest bios file on asus site.
    2 Extract bios file into USB drive FAT32 formaat
    Change File name to M8E.CAP And save it

Shut down you PC and wait 10 sec when its 100% off

3 : put USB to Back on your PC where it say (USB BIOS FLASHBACK PORT)

4: Press Bios icon on your back for about 5 sec when your see flashing for some time.. than Wait when it is over with flashing

5:Start your PC and go to your bios and press

Let me know how it turn out
    Thx for reply, yes i have tried all that and more loads of times, also my ranger bios is named as M8R.CAP,

Quote Originally Posted by Nate152 View Post
    That's good but for the maximus viii ranger you want to rename the bios file to M8R.CAP

This is for the bios flashback method.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...BIOS-Flashback

On the Extreme tweaker tab go to "Tweakers Paradise", at the top you can change the FCLK to 400, 800, 1000.

BCLK x FCLK = System Agent clock.
    Thx for reply, i have been trying everything for the last 8 months, made loads of posts etc, and nothing works, and i really want to have FCLK FIXED, the reason i posted is, because i dont have any setting in bios to change FCLK, thats why i am posting, that was only added to the recent new bios's to fix the skylake problem, and i cant update my bios , so i was wondering if there is away i can get to 1000 FCLK any other way ? also, i guess the new bios's update the intel ME stuff as well ?
    Last edited by Daytrader; 07-10-2016 at 10:26 PM.

So if my FCLK with old bios is stuck at just 800, and my BCLK on auto im just getting a SAC of 800 ? when it should be 1000 with fixed bios ? so could i not just change my BLCK to like 125 and that would give me my SAC of 1000 ? like a fixed bios of FCLK of 1ghz.
    Last edited by Daytrader; 07-10-2016 at 11:42 PM.

Nate152 PC Specs
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Mouse ROG Chakram Core

The system agent clock should be kept around 1000 but I've had mine as high as 1600 with no issues. I'm using the original bios that came with my maximus viii formula and I can change the FCLK from 400, 800, 1000.

For instance if I set the BCLK to 200 and the FCLK to 800 it puts the system agent clock to 1600MHz. If you raise the BCLK to 200 you will have to lower the multipliers for the cpu core ratio and cpu cache ratio and lower the memory to its rated frequency. You can see these three in yellow at the top of the extreme tweaker tab.

There should be an option to change the FCLK to 1000 in the "Tweakers Paradise" section at the top.

Here is an example with the BCLK at 200 and the FCLK at 800 it puts the system agent clock to 1600MHz.

The BCLK is the Bus Clock, the Ring Clock is the cpu cache and just below those is the System Agent Clock. Look in the upper left hand side circled in red.

I'm using HWinfo, click the picture a few times to make it bigger.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HWinfo.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	58105

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Quote Originally Posted by Daytrader View Post
    Try to use USB pendrives that are small in size. Also make sure it's FAT32 formatted and the BIOS file is the only file on the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate152 View Post
    The system agent clock should be kept around 1000 but I've had mine as high as 1600 with no issues. I'm using the original bios that came with my maximus viii formula and I can change the FCLK from 400, 800, 1000.

For instance if I set the BCLK to 200 and the FCLK to 800 it puts the system agent clock to 1600MHz. If you raise the BCLK to 200 you will have to lower the multipliers for the cpu core ratio and cpu cache ratio and lower the memory to its rated frequency. You can see these three in yellow at the top of the extreme tweaker tab.

There should be an option to change the FCLK to 1000 in the "Tweakers Paradise" section at the top.

Here is an example with the BCLK at 200 and the FCLK at 800 it puts the system agent clock to 1600MHz.

The BCLK is the Bus Clock, the Ring Clock is the cpu cache and just below those is the System Agent Clock. Look in the upper left hand side circled in red.

I'm using HWinfo, click the picture a few times to make it bigger.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HWinfo.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	58105
    Thx for reply and all the info, Nate, when all the skylake 170 motherboards were released back in august/september last year, there was a problem where the FLCK was only at 800, Intel admitted it, so all motherboard manufactures had to release new bios to fix the problem, you must have got your mb after this was fixed, read about it all here http://www.anandtech.com/show/9607/s...-optimizations , can i just change bclk to 125 and keep my memory at my 3000mhz and keep cache at default 4100, and keep my 4500 overclock, do i just put bclk on manual, and keep everything else on auto ? or does auto change everything to the blck 125 ? cheers

Nate152 PC Specs
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Mouse ROG Chakram Core

Oh sorry, I was not aware of this and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Have you tried a bios update following the guide I posted?

What cpu do you have?

If you have the 6700k set the BCLK to 200, then lower the cpu core ratio to 21 and the cpu cache ratio min/max to 21 and change the Dram frequency to its rated specs.

At the top of the extreme tweaker tab in yellow you will see the the:

cpu core ratio frequency - 4200MHz
    memory frequency - Set this to the rated frequency of your ram kit
    cpu cache frequency - 4200MHz

The system agent clock will now be at 1600MHz rather than 800MHz and is fine.

You can play with the BCLK and the cpu core ratio, cpu cache ratio and memory frequency until you reach your desired speed/overclocks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast