cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY, Intel HM87 Express, Windows 10 upgrade BSoD

mpgioia
Level 7
I get an iastor.sys BSoD when attempting to upgrade my G751JY to Windows 10 from 8.1.
Currently running latest provided ASUS Intel SATA/AHCI RST driver of 13.1.0.1058 driver from Intel.
Anyone else had any issues similar with their G751JY's ?
What is the download landing page on downloadcenter.intel.com for the HM87 Express Mobile chipset (their website is dismally horrible for performance/timeouts/etc).... struggling to use it.
4 REPLIES 4

rog_au
Level 7
mpgioia wrote:
I get an iastor.sys BSoD when attempting to upgrade my G751JY to Windows 10 from 8.1.
Currently running latest provided ASUS Intel SATA/AHCI RST driver of 13.1.0.1058 driver from Intel.
Anyone else had any issues similar with their G751JY's ?
What is the download landing page on downloadcenter.intel.com for the HM87 Express Mobile chipset (their website is dismally horrible for performance/timeouts/etc).... struggling to use it.

Hi! Sorry to hear you are having issues upgrading. Are you trying to upgrade from Windows 8.1 directly or a clean new install of Windows 10? Please try a clean new install of Windows 10 as this is always the best option to go. Once done you can download the latest drivers from the ASUS website for Windows 10. Hope this helps. All the best - ASUS ANZ Marketing

NeoBeum
Level 9
Use the Intel drivers from the ASUS Support page, then, make sure Windows 10 doesn't try and take control of the system when you first start up.
Don't connect to the internet, but firewall anything to do with Microsoft.

Go to:
My Computer (Right Click - Properties) >> Hardware >> Device Installation Settings
Make sure 'No' is selected.

Set your internet connection to a metered connection.
Then, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab

Hide anything that comes up as "Intel ....."

I have screenshots of MS auto-installing incorrect drivers, which causes an incorrect voltage setting for the chipset. I rained down some abuse on the techs through remote when I showed them what was happening.

If you want to double check everything is running OK -
Go to Run / "Windows Key + R" >> "eventvwr.msc"

In the summary - if there are any critical or errors, that pop up/get logged, you should be able to see it.

I installed 1607 just for you, and disabled all my Microflailsoft Updates, and let it do it's own thing...

I installed it and let it screw up the laptop so I when I do my next fresh install, I know what to block straight away

and just for last measure... the hidden crap the "Update" section in "Settings" DOESN'T show you

EDIT: I found the thread with similar problems earlier on in the year... this is an example of some of the crap Windows 10 automatically finds and tries to install... so you need to say NO with wushowhid.diagcab
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84521-Problems-with-windows-10-on-my-ROG-g751jy/page4

In my revenge, suffice to say, I had a lot of fun trolling Microsoft Senior Support when they remote connect to both of my devices to find I've installed Windows 10 Pro on both, with the exact same key.

They deserve all they get when I spend 3 hours asking for an ISO to install Windows 8.1, and that I don't need to install it on the current machine that I am using because... it already is running 8.1, but another machine needs to have it installed.

and this is when I started to record on my phone so I could upload to youtube one day

** just take note of the 1 hour delay, FYI i started the chat at 9pm

They blew up my G73 last year ... a year ago, which forced me to buy the G751 earlier than what I wanted because I knew a new model was due
I'm still seething because I lost a major assignment for school.

NeoBeum
Level 9
Oh, also forgot... here's another $#!T+Y thing you might come across when Windows does version updates:

Left CMD Window is 14393, Windows 1607(Post Update). Right CMD Window is 10586, Windows 1511 (Pre Update).
You might notice that the boot disk is no longer DISK0... I don't really care much... but if it's my boot disk, I'd like the OS to recognize it as the first disk, as I orginally had set it up as.

Problems that may arise from this is: Windows totally @#$%^& up your BCD... which means... you can't boot in to safe mode... which means... you need recovery media.

Thanks Microsoft. Thanks for everything. I love being lazy and having y'all do everything for me. Saves me lots of time.