ROG Member Array

R5E10 Memory Help

I need some help from people more experienced than I am with the R5E/R5E10 motherboards. I had a 6950x on it and was running my memory at the rated speed of 3200MHz. Since my 6950X fried on it I can't seem to run the memory at 3200MHz 1.35v without the machine shutting down without a BSOD and restarting. This was working perfectly fine until the 6950x fried on it. I'm using a 5930k for now because I'm scared to put back the replacement 6950x until I figure this out. Is it possible that when something friend on the motherboard it fried my CPU? Is there anything else I can try other than locking the RAM voltage to 1.35v? One thing for sure which is understandable is it happens a lot quicker (10 minutes maybe?) when I set the ram to run at 1T.

I hope my motherboard is not screwed up because the thought of ripping it out with all my liquid cooling pipes is making my brain hemorrhage.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Onimax PC Specs
    Onimax PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 6950X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill RipJaws V DIMM Kit 128GB, DDR4-3000, CL14-14-14-34 (F4-3000C14Q2-128GVKD)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal)
    Monitor2* ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 Pro 512GiB
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 1TiB
    CPU CoolerEKWB Custom loop
    CaseCaseLabs Magnum SMA8
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G900
    Headset SteelSeries H Wireless
    OS Windows 10 x64

The memory controller on the X99 platform is integrated into the CPU.
    So it might very well be that you replacement CPU's memory controller is just not capable of running the memory at the same speeds as your other CPU.
    Also Broadwell-E is far better at handling higher ram-speeds than Haswell-E (from my experience hw-E generally has _problems_ running ram at >3000mhz out of the box).

On the other hand, if you are absolutely positive that your 6950X is/was defunct, of course there could still be a slight chance for the motherboard to also have taken some damage.

But personally I think your memory instabilities originate due to your replacement CPU being a Haswell-E based CPU as stated above.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Onimax View Post
    The memory controller on the X99 platform is integrated into the CPU.
    So it might very well be that you replacement CPU's memory controller is just not capable of running the memory at the same speeds as your other CPU.
    Also Broadwell-E is far better at handling higher ram-speeds than Haswell-E (from my experience hw-E generally has _problems_ running ram at >3000mhz out of the box).

On the other hand, if you are absolutely positive that your 6950X is/was defunct, of course there could still be a slight chance for the motherboard to also have taken some damage.

But personally I think your memory instabilities originate due to your replacement CPU being a Haswell-E based CPU as stated above.
    Thank you very much for your reply. I did some more testing and I am able to run the memory with no issues at all at 2800MHz. Also If I install only 4 out of the 8 sticks for 16GB instead of 32 it is very stable. It must be as you said the IMC on this 5930K CPU is just not cable of handling the 3200MHz C15. I was hoping there was some voltage I can adjust to try to make it work.

I tried locking the voltage at 1.35V on the memory with the stock timings for the CMD16GX4M4B3200C15 modules and still restarted no BSOD. I tried it with a 4.3GHz CPU OC also

From your experience I feel more confident that the motherboard didn't eat my first 6950x and will not eat this 2nd one. I'm going to install it probably today and watch the memory work.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

RMA your 6950X. Also your 5930K's IMC might not be up to the task for DDR4 3200.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

Like the above posts all CPU's may not run 3200mhz, and with 8 modules it is even more likely especially at 1T. It definitely will take some tweaking of voltages

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Especially if you are trying to run two kits https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...atoes-overview

The 6950X IMC must have been more forgiving...many CPU IMCs aren't....

ROG Member Array

Thanks for all the replies guys it looks like 8 modules was too much for the 5930k but it was perfectly fine with 4 modules and I tested both sets. I installed the 6950x and it's running like a top. No more IMC overload even with all 8 modules. I was just worried that my mobo was slightly defective and might fry my 2nd 6950x.