cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5E10 Memory Help

Artah
Level 7
I need some help from people more experienced than I am with the R5E/R5E10 motherboards. I had a 6950x on it and was running my memory at the rated speed of 3200MHz. Since my 6950X fried on it I can't seem to run the memory at 3200MHz 1.35v without the machine shutting down without a BSOD and restarting. This was working perfectly fine until the 6950x fried on it. I'm using a 5930k for now because I'm scared to put back the replacement 6950x until I figure this out. Is it possible that when something friend on the motherboard it fried my CPU? Is there anything else I can try other than locking the RAM voltage to 1.35v? One thing for sure which is understandable is it happens a lot quicker (10 minutes maybe?) when I set the ram to run at 1T.

I hope my motherboard is not screwed up because the thought of ripping it out with all my liquid cooling pipes is making my brain hemorrhage.
6 REPLIES 6

Onimax
Level 8
The memory controller on the X99 platform is integrated into the CPU.
So it might very well be that you replacement CPU's memory controller is just not capable of running the memory at the same speeds as your other CPU.
Also Broadwell-E is far better at handling higher ram-speeds than Haswell-E (from my experience hw-E generally has _problems_ running ram at >3000mhz out of the box).

On the other hand, if you are absolutely positive that your 6950X is/was defunct, of course there could still be a slight chance for the motherboard to also have taken some damage.

But personally I think your memory instabilities originate due to your replacement CPU being a Haswell-E based CPU as stated above.

Onimax wrote:
The memory controller on the X99 platform is integrated into the CPU.
So it might very well be that you replacement CPU's memory controller is just not capable of running the memory at the same speeds as your other CPU.
Also Broadwell-E is far better at handling higher ram-speeds than Haswell-E (from my experience hw-E generally has _problems_ running ram at >3000mhz out of the box).

On the other hand, if you are absolutely positive that your 6950X is/was defunct, of course there could still be a slight chance for the motherboard to also have taken some damage.

But personally I think your memory instabilities originate due to your replacement CPU being a Haswell-E based CPU as stated above.
Thank you very much for your reply. I did some more testing and I am able to run the memory with no issues at all at 2800MHz. Also If I install only 4 out of the 8 sticks for 16GB instead of 32 it is very stable. It must be as you said the IMC on this 5930K CPU is just not cable of handling the 3200MHz C15. I was hoping there was some voltage I can adjust to try to make it work.

I tried locking the voltage at 1.35V on the memory with the stock timings for the CMD16GX4M4B3200C15 modules and still restarted no BSOD. I tried it with a 4.3GHz CPU OC also

From your experience I feel more confident that the motherboard didn't eat my first 6950x and will not eat this 2nd one. I'm going to install it probably today and watch the memory work.

Chino
Level 15

Menthol
Level 14
Like the above posts all CPU's may not run 3200mhz, and with 8 modules it is even more likely especially at 1T. It definitely will take some tweaking of voltages

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Thanks for all the replies guys it looks like 8 modules was too much for the 5930k but it was perfectly fine with 4 modules and I tested both sets. I installed the 6950x and it's running like a top. No more IMC overload even with all 8 modules. I was just worried that my mobo was slightly defective and might fry my 2nd 6950x.