cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Ranger CPU C-States not dropping Vcore that's manually set

Ambi__
Level 7
As the title pretty much says, I can't get C-States to lower my Vcore when the CPU frequency drops in Windows. VID drops properly so maybe I could politely ask it to swap places with Vcore?! Joking aside, I have manual voltage enabled to under-volt my CPU by 0.100 mV for lower temps and I'm using HWinfo to monitor. Nothing on my system is overclocked and I don't want to use adaptive or offset for a few reasons.

Has anyone here gotten C-States to drop Vcore on a Maximus VIII board with Vcore set to manual? Please post your settings if you have because I'm just spinning my wheels at this point!

Bios settings I've enabled/disabled-
Asus Multicore enhancement off
Sync all cores
EPU = Enabled
SVID = Enabled
C-States = Enabled
CPU Vcore= Manual 1.100v
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hi Ambi\'

Do you have speedstep enabled and the windows power plan set to balanced? If you do and it's not throttling down you'll have to use offset or adaptive mode.

erixx11
Level 11
I have found Balanced power plan sometimes with 100% power for processor idle state. (maybe it's caused by windows beta builds, not sure).
You better check it.

I should have mentioned that if I didn't mention any bios settings then they're at the default value. So speedstep is indeed enabled and the windows power plan is setup properly. I should have mentioned that too, my apologies.

Thx Chino for confirming that this board just won't drop Vcore when it's set manually. Shame really since my old Z77-UD3H Gigabyte board did. Thank you Nate152 and erixx11 for trying to help. I guess I'll have to make 2 OC profiles to cover daily use and gaming.

Chino
Level 15
Manual vcore applies a static value. If you want a dynamic vcore, you need to be using Offset or Adaptive. It's really not that hard to use adaptive. You just have to change like 2 options. lol

Chino wrote:
Manual vcore applies a static value. If you want a dynamic vcore, you need to be using Offset or Adaptive. It's really not that hard to use adaptive. You just have to change like 2 options. lol

I would use them if the values set would actually stay at or below the values set within a .005v margin of error. Adaptive and offset overvolt the CPU upon full load. I didn't do countless hours of stress testing to get my CPU down to a stable 1.080v 38C on full load just to have adaptive or offest mode add an extra .07-.08v and 3-5C. Not really ideal for me until engineers can figure out how to make adaptive and offset mode stick to the values that us users input within that 0.005v margin of error. AVX extensions also shoot the voltage up even higher so yeah, no thanks :mad:

I think it's great these new options have become available within the last couple of years. They just need to get better.