cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot Using M.2 SSD on 970 Pro Graming?

jimo2002
Level 7
Hello All..

I'm looking for a bit of information.. I've got a ASUS 970 Pro Gaming Aura motherboard.

I'm thinking of purchasing the Samsung SM951 128 GB Solid State Drive M.2 drive to put my OS on to speed up performance. I've checked on ASUS's website and it's compatible.

However, I've read on various forums and websites that some people have been able to use the M.2 socket to boot and some haven't.

My question is, basically, can I boot using a M.2 drive on my motherboard? Is it an easy process?

Thanks 😄

James
14 REPLIES 14

Chino
Level 15

meankeys
Level 13
Yes you can boot to M.2 and yes there are a few steps you need to do to get it to work.
Not sure what OS you want to use but the steps would be the same. I used this method on both Win 7- 64 and Win 10- 64
I had no troubles

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-installing-windows-7-on-an-nvme-ssd-from-a-usb-3-0-thu...

That's brilliant! Thanks for your help.

Just one final question, I've been looking at the Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 256 GB Solid State Drive

Is this drive compatible with the 970 pro Gaming mobo as I can't find it in the device compatibility list?

Thanks

J

meankeys
Level 13
Yes any dive with a M key type.

From your manual: 2242 = 22x42mm - 22mmx60mm - 22mmx80mm
mm

Hello and I am late to the party but I can not get my Toshiba 256 GB M.2 to boot on Windows 10 at all. I can see it in Windows but not in the Bios at all. I have the Asua 970 pro gaming I can format the drive and like I said see in Windows just fine and thats it. I still can not get it to boot. I would really love the help if some one can help me PLEASE !!!! thank you so very much. I did the step by step I found online but I still can't get it to work.

Thanks,

Andrew

hi all,
i have the same problem..
asus 970 pro aura with a samsung m.2 drive.
The ssd works fine in windows but it's not recognized in bios, so i can't use it for booting.
If i try to install windows 10, i see the ssd during installation.. so i can install the os on it.. but when i restart my pc i can't boot from ssd.

Yes I can install the OS But I can't get it to boot at all, I don't know what to do at this point.

I am having the same thing happen as avenue 2400.