cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Edition 10 - Supreme FX Front Panel

Crash55
Level 8
What does the front panel do for you? It looks like it provides volume control, an headphone / mic jacks. While taking up 2 USB ports and a power connector?

It is extremely rare I use headphones so I think having two more USB ports would be more beneficial. Just figured I would check first though.
21 REPLIES 21

jrmcdou
Level 10
You answered your own question. Mine is still in the box.
Rampage VI Extreme bios 1503
Core i9 7980XE @ 4.4ghz all cores
64 gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
2x RTX 2080 Ti FE NvLink/SLI
2x Samsung 970 Pro 1tb NVME
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair 1000D case
1x Dell U3818DW 38" Curved Ultrawide and 2x Dell S2716DG 27" 1ms GSYNC 2560x1440 144 hz
Win 10 Pro x64

jrmcdou wrote:
You answered your own question. Mine is still in the box.

Asus must replace for all of us this part of RVE10 maybe with the Asus OC Panel !! (RVE package included this) because the Supreme FX-Front Panel has big problems with the mic to all communication apps...I connect my headphones to back panel and all problems stopped.
(I ll wait Asus to correct this issue with some new driver or bios update).
Μobo:ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI-CPU:Intel Core i9-14900K-Cooler:EKW-EK-KIT RGB 360-RAM:G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5-6400 CL32 64GB(4 x 16 GB)-GPU:ASUS GeForce® ASUS ROG STRIX GAMING RTX-3080Ti-#43; EKW-EK-KIT 480 RGB -PSU:Corsair HX1200i:HDD:Samsung M2 980 PRO with heatsink 2TB+Samsung 990 PRO 2 TB RAID-0 +Asus RAIDR Express 240GB- Case:Thermaltake View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Editionx

Crash55
Level 8
OK. I just wanted to make sure I had the details right. Seems weird they would waste two USB ports on this.

Chino
Level 15
If you're not a fan of headphones, you can leave out the SupremeFX Hi-Fi USB DAC/AMP. But hardcore audiophiles would be more than happy with the DAC. 🙂

Crash55
Level 8
I figured hardcore audiophiles would prefer a proper speaker setup. I prefer my Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 over headphones.

Crash55 wrote:
I figured hardcore audiophiles would prefer a proper speaker setup. I prefer my Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 over headphones.

Hardcore audiophiles arent using Klipsch promedia speakers either. Not even close to audiophile grade. While their high end beats out a good bit of their market segment their market segment is not an audiophile audience. They are lacking hugely in the midrange and the subs have no tonality, just move air at a high volume. They also lacked separation and depth. Tried the klipsch set up just for giggles and thats all I did was giggle....all the way back to best buy to return them. To get a decent sounding pair of speakers and a sub at the budget level you are looking at $1000 minimum on just speakers( this is only two studio monitors and a sub, no wires or shielded cables, NADA) , only goes up from there. This isn't including a decent DAC to feed them that again budget friendly is baseline of $200 and upwards of $10K.

Headphones are great so long as you procure a decent set of cans. Most of what you see is junk and I wouldn't bother either. Probably the cheapest headphones that sound OK will run you $150 like the audio technica ath-m50s. Again that's minimum. I use mid level cans and they have a very nice sound quality and are extremely comfortable.
My Sennheiser HD 700s can be had for just over $400 and are a good quality product but there are even nicer sets that will eat up over $1000 like the Sennheiser HD 800s that go for about $1600. Both are reference headphones meaning they reproduce the sound as it was recorded without boosting highs mids or lows.
Couple a pair of these with a decent DAC and headphone amp and you will rescind the statement of preferring best buy PC speakers over headphones.

I don't use the 5.25 drive bay headphone amp either. Still get fed from a less than stellar source. Crap in=crap out. I connected it on first configuration (didnt mount it) plugged in a set of reference headphones and played a nice full range track and immediately disconnected it and put it back in the box.
There are a few ways to get better sound, none of them involve using on board analog outputs or headphone amp.
Either a decent sound card or use USB or Toslink out to an external DAC. Most of the decent ones will do 24 bit 192kbps audio, they normally include a headphone amp as well or you can buy different components.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

erixx11
Level 11
You don't enjoy music, games or movies at nightly hours? (in case you have neighbors, LOL) I also love my 3way wooden speakers but... there's a time for everything!

Crash55
Level 8
I have the house to myself at present. The PC is in the basement and I would go deaf if I played it loud enough to annoy the neighbors

Vlada011
Level 10
I think people who use dedicate sound cards should keep SupremeFX Hi-Fi in box and onboard sound disabled in BIOS.
Even if they use headphones better to use sound card. I never use headphones.
That's improvement for people who use always onboard sound and want to use headphones and microphone with SupremeFX, she offer OK sound.
But again for some serious work you need at least 100-150$ sound card and some normal microphone and headphones.
I think that X99 boards where people anyway need graphic card dedicate and can't use Internal and onboard sound should buy and better sound card.
With small little boards people with smaller budget could use Internal GPU and onboard sound. It's nice because ASUS install SupremeFX and on cheaper
motherboards as Z170 Gaming series. Using onboard sound with 500$ worth CPU and 700$ worth GPU is bad.