cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Edition 10 - Two GPUs + M.2 + U.2 => 40 lanes?

Crash55
Level 8
So I want to use this motherboard with 2 GPUs and a U.2 drive. Someone on this forum said they are doing that and seeing x16 on the GPUs. Someone else said using the U.2 turns on the M.2 as well. This should only account for 40 lanes but I asked Asus Tech Support to make sure. This is the reply I received:

Thank you for writing back to ASUS Technical Support.

I checked and found that Two GPU's, M.2 and U.2 would account for 40 lanes is false.

The two GPU's and M.2 would account 36 lanes. (16x2 + 4= 32+4=36)

U.2 takes more bandiwdth and will be more than 40 lanes because of the Rampage V Edition 10 motherboard design.

We appreaciate your patience and understanding.

For any further queries, please feel free to reply to this E-Mail. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you for choosing ASUS.

Regards,
Arnold. K

Customer Service Center.
ASUSTek Computer Inc.
Component Product Support: 1-812-282-2787

Any idea where the extra lanes are coming from? Raja posted a board schematic in a different thread but I don't see this behavior on it.
11 REPLIES 11

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You can use SLI x16x16 and use a U2 drive no problem.

That answer is not answering that question....they have misunderstood and are talking about SLI with a U2 and an additional M2 drive it seems...

Using M2 or U2 shares bandwidth with bottom PCIEx8_4 slot...i.e. you can't use that slot with either M2 or U2 use

FuryA
Level 8
X99 Platform supports M.2/U.2 but the lanes bandwidth only work one interface
but it depends on 28/40 lanes CPUs you use

Crash55
Level 8
6850K CPU so 40 lanes.

Yeah I was thinking they were misunderstanding. Not sure why getting a straight answer was so hard though.

Brighttail
Level 11
I am using two GPUs in Slot 1 and 3. I have an M.2 drive in the M.2 slot. I also have another M.2 on a pci-e card.

If I put that card in slot 2 I get the following: x16, x4, x8
If I put that card in slot 4 I get the following: x8, x16, x4

It kinda sux cause the older Rampage V Extreme would give me x16, x4, x16 or x16, x16, x4 with no issues. I have never used a u.2 slot.
Without the PCI-e M.2 I get x16, x16 and the m.2 runs at x4. If I don't include the M.2 slot and just use the PCI-e I get the x16, x4, x8 or x8, x16, x4.

It is really unfortunate that the design of this motherboard is different from the original. That being said, I probably won't notice the difference between x8 and x16 on the GPU.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Hi,

Can someone from Asus please answer this clearly against the two options listed below.

If the PCIe lane assumptions are wrong, then please correct them below.

Assume in all cases that we have an Asus Rampage V Edition 10 with a 40-lane CPU (eg: i7-6850k).

If we use 2 x GPUs (in slots 1 and 3) and an M.2 SSD only, please confirm that these will run with the following lane usage?
GPU1 in PCIe_1 @ x16
GPU2 in PCIe_3 @ x16
M.2 SSD @ x4
This is a total of 36 lanes.

If we use 2 x GPUs (in slots 1 and 3) and an M.2 SSD and a U.2 device, please confirm that these will run with the following lane usage?
GPU1 in PCIe_1 @ x16
GPU2 in PCIe_3 @ x16
M.2 SSD @ x4
U.2 Device @ x4
This is a total of 40 lanes.

I need this answered since I am considering buying a second GPU to run SLI, as well as a U.2 device. If it makes a difference, I do not want to waste my money on the U.2 device for example.

Thanks.

Regards,
Nick
==================
N1k05 | Nikos
==================

Eleiyas
Level 10
The other ASUS employee you spoke to said that using all devices at once would be more than 40 lanes because U.2 uses more bandwidth.

Apart from repeating what they said, I can't give you much more insight. You'd have to talk to someone who specializes in that department.

Yes, but all the answers above are unclear.

Can someone please answer:

If we use 2 x GPUs (in slots 1 and 3) and an M.2 SSD only, please confirm that these will run with the following lane usage?
GPU1 in PCIe_1 @ x16
GPU2 in PCIe_3 @ x16
M.2 SSD @ x4
This is a total of 36 lanes. Will these work at these lane configs?

If we use 2 x GPUs (in slots 1 and 3) and an M.2 SSD and a U.2 device, please confirm that these will run with the following lane usage?
GPU1 in PCIe_1 @ x16
GPU2 in PCIe_3 @ x16
M.2 SSD @ x4
U.2 Device @ x4
This is a total of 40 lanes. Will these work at these lane configs?

Maybe Asus can publish a table similar to the one in the manual that explains how the PCIe slots change based on what is plugged in?
==================
N1k05 | Nikos
==================

N1k05 you're right, the information is confusing, and I agree there is good information published but it's a little ambiguous because some information is left out or just not addressed.

Your first configuration below does work with a 40-lane CPU. I'm set up that way without issue right now. Works as documented.

Your second configuration below is a good question. However I am of the opinion that it "should" work. The published manual says that U.2 and M.2 share bandwidth with the PCIex8_4 slot, so if you use 8 lanes for a card and 8 lanes to serve both the U.2 and M.2 you would think you are okay as long as your GPU supports 40 lanes (yours obviously does). This is "sort of" confirmed on the Asus overview page of the RVE10 MoBo, where they make a 1-line statement: "Enjoy 4-way SLI plus M.2 and U.2 at the same time". The graphic there shows each of the PCIex16 slots using 8 lanes per card, totaling 32 for GPU's, and presumably the last 8 lanes going to slot 4 for the shared bandwidth of the M.2 and U.2. Your configuration question just changes the lane assignments on the first three x16 slots, which presumably should work. But like you said, they never address that.

So I tend to agree with you on this: we think(?) it should work, but there is no definitive statement anywhere that confirms it. I've looked through the entire manual for any other clues, and there are none.

Make sure you have your BIOS options set correctly if you need to change the Gen options for cards. 😉
Davemon50

Davemon50, thanks for at least clarifying one of my cases.

The other remains unknown...
==================
N1k05 | Nikos
==================