cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG STRIX X99 - Memory request

ghostfox
Level 7
Hi to all,
i'm going to buy a new X99 ROG STRIX motherboard, but i have one question about RAM:

I have 2 X KIT of 4x8GB (32GB Kit) Corsair Dominator Platinum for total amount of 64GB ( model number: CMD32GX4M4A2400C14 )

on the memory compatibility list of that MOBO, i see that (attach):

what is the correct reading about that?
i see triple DOT = 8 DIMM supported
BUT
i see model is ONLY 32GB kit (4x8) on the model number.

is that OK for 64GB or is MAXIMUM supported 32GB in 8 Dimm module? :confused:

thanks in advance for every explanation...
Ghostfox
28 REPLIES 28

FuryA
Level 8
no worries Memory QVL just a reference
it doesn't mean not for supported even the module is not listed on the table
X99 and Haswell-e/Broadwell-e can suuort maximum 64GB 😄

FuryA wrote:
no worries Memory QVL just a reference
it doesn't mean not for supported even the module is not listed on the table
X99 and Haswell-e/Broadwell-e can suuort maximum 64GB 😄

Thanks for reply, i've been check and this table make me confusion about 4x8GB with triple dot (8dimm) support at the right end table column.
anyway X99 H-E or B-E can support 128GB maximum, not only 64GB... :rolleyes:

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'd check this link out before you decide what memory to use http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-ov...

I'd recommend a single kit of whatever size you want.

The ability to run frequency and size depends on the CPU IMC (memory controler on the chip) more than the motherboard. Higher GB kits probably best to limit your expectations for frequency. Higher frequency best to run less GB.

Ripjaws V runs well on X99 from what I have seen...or Ripjaws 4

jrmcdou
Level 10
I would stick to G. Skill or Corsair for the Asus boards. Asus uses G. Skill memory when designing and testing their boards. You can use up to 128 gb kits. Like mentioned whatever size you use make sure it is a single kit. Never mix memory.
Rampage VI Extreme bios 1503
Core i9 7980XE @ 4.4ghz all cores
64 gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
2x RTX 2080 Ti FE NvLink/SLI
2x Samsung 970 Pro 1tb NVME
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair 1000D case
1x Dell U3818DW 38" Curved Ultrawide and 2x Dell S2716DG 27" 1ms GSYNC 2560x1440 144 hz
Win 10 Pro x64

jrmcdou wrote:
I would stick to G. Skill or Corsair for the Asus boards. Asus uses G. Skill memory when designing and testing their boards. You can use up to 128 gb kits. Like mentioned whatever size you use make sure it is a single kit. Never mix memory.

OK i've been tested that mobo, it's arrived Friday, and working normally with 2kit 32GB (64GB total) but i found only one smallest wrong detail:
i have 2X corsair dominator CMD32GX4M4A2400C14, is declared 2400mhz and 2666mhz with profile 2.0 XMP.

when i set the bios overclock (5820k to 4.3ghz vcore 1.240), i see motherboard check ram and show 2133mhz .. anyway with 2133 mhz the system is pretty
rock solid (3/4 hours on the witcher 3 and 2 hours on prima/aida64 burning test)

if i set 2400mhz , same vcore, same settings on bios, the system going instable, witcher exit to windows, games crash etc...

any advice? is probably that "problem" maded by double kit of memory?
the voltage of memory is 1.2 and bios show me only voltage 1.80 .. is possible i can't reach 2400mhz for undervoltage?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
When you say "set 2400" you mean you used the XMP profile?

The profile will be based on the voltage for one kit...running two you will have to fine tune voltage....I can imagine that 1.2V is not enough for both kits...for VDIMM set 1.3 or 1.35v and see if that helps...

The 1.8v I don't understand

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
When you say "set 2400" you mean you used the XMP profile?

The profile will be based on the voltage for one kit...running two you will have to fine tune voltage....I can imagine that 1.2V is not enough for both kits...for VDIMM set 1.3 or 1.35v and see if that helps...

The 1.8v I don't understand

Hi Arne, thank you for reply.
i don't set XMP profile.. is standard OC on bios, without XMP and only OC'ed CPU..
your advice is to set 2400mhz with 1.3/1.35 on A-B / C-D Memory channel?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK...yeah. If you are setting up manually you'll have to input voltage...try 1.3...1.35....but you'll also have to input primary timings for RAM.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
OK...yeah. If you are setting up manually you'll have to input voltage...try 1.3...1.35....but you'll also have to input primary timings for RAM.

I think timings is already insered like standard correct timings of the kit. .. i've to check!
my kit is CMD32GX4M4A2400C14 , is correct the 15-15-15-36 on the corsair Website..
i have to modify that timings value with different timings or imput manually the standard timings before overvolt?