cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 pcie ssd to add to my G20CB?

chilinmichael
Level 10
What's everyone's thoughts on the following to add to my G20CB?

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-950-PRO-Internal-MZ-V5P512BW/dp/B01639694M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=146...
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.
8 REPLIES 8

six4bravo
Level 10
Should work fine, it's a good drive but expensive for what it is. I don't think you'll notice any real world benefit over a sata SSD, but it depends on what your rig is used for. Just make sure to get a pci e m.2 and not a sata m.2 if going that route. I'm perfectly happy with my 850 Evo 1tb SSD though, got it for $319.

chilinmichael
Level 10
I've got the stock 256GB as my primary and put my Samsung 1TB 850Evo in place of the physical 1TB HDD. My next plan is to put the M.2 PCIE in I mentioned above, then use Macrium Reflect (great free program) to image the primary drive over to that and assign that as the OS drive. It'll give me more space on my new "C" drive, then I will repurpose the 256GB to be the local copy of my OneDrive. Right now the 1TB is used for games and OneDrive.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

What's the method for installing this (vs. a SATA SSD) in a G20?

Removing the cd drive, any sata SSD u have plugged in that area, stock fans, cooling block etc, the m.2 slot is under the cd tray and 80mm length and u will need to find a screw for it, not sure on the size but very small. All needs removed to remove the cd tray and SSD holder. You'll need new thermal paste for reinstalling the heatsink.

six4bravo wrote:
Removing the cd drive, any sata SSD u have plugged in that area, stock fans, cooling block etc, the m.2 slot is under the cd tray and 80mm length and u will need to find a screw for it, not sure on the size but very small. All needs removed to remove the cd tray and SSD holder. You'll need new thermal paste for reinstalling the heatsink.

Good time to use Arctic Silver 5 🙂

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
yeah I would always replace the thermal paste just to keep them temps down, sound like good thermal paste dude 🙂

Quanty
Level 9
chilinmichael wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-950-PRO-Internal-MZ-V5P512BW/dp/B01639694M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=146...

The idea is good, though the m.2 seems to be limited to 256 Gigs. I've tried 512 Gigs with little success, can report later this month on the 256 Gib test.

Regards

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
chilinmichael wrote:

there was a thread a while back on this forums about some guy who fitted one of these, but he reakon the ssd would over heat to much and was causing alot of issues, I went with a normal ssd where the 1tb hdd was and the pc was super fast

Whoopee