Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 1031
  1. #21
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    40

    I've read this whole thread, and I'm kind of unsure how to OC this GTX 1080 strix, like what is afterburner??

    I managed to install Unigine Valley. After seeing Jargonholpick's post. This is what I got. The gpu temp stays at 61Celsius degrees.

    http://imgur.com/a/w7rMZ

    I'm happy with the temps. I think this will do me.

  2. #22
    ROG Enthusiast Array JargonHolpick PC Specs
    JargonHolpick PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Z170 Pro Gaming
    Processori7 7700K
    Memory (part number)CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
    Graphics Card #1ROG STRIX-GTX1080Ti-11G-OC
    MonitorBenq XL2730Z
    Storage #1Samsung Evo 500GB
    Storage #2Samsung Evo 250GB
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken x62
    CaseNZXT S340elite B/R
    Power SupplyCorsair RM650x
    Keyboard Logitech G810
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset HyperX
    Mouse Pad Steelseries (something large and black)
    Headset/Speakers JBL
    OS Windows 10Pro 64

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    31

    @Protos:

    You oc'ed the 1080 strix? Can you share your settings?
    If possible both, The OC tool and Heaven benchmark.
    Afterburner is a Tool provided by MSI (screenshot)https://www.dropbox.com/s/uisk670m8t484g9/ab.JPG?dl=0. It is comparable with ASUS GPU Tweak or EVGA's Precision.
    I personal prefer Afterburner because of the constant monitoring on screen. But I guess you can't go wrong with any of those applications.

    By the way, the difference is pretty huge in score but I must say that the 1070 performs pretty well compared to the extra hardware under the 1080's hood.
    Last edited by JargonHolpick; 08-03-2016 at 10:15 PM.

  3. #23
    Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix Z690-F Gaming WiFi
    Processori7-12700KF
    Memory (part number)Kingston Fury Beast 16GB (2x8GB) 6000MT/s (KF560C40B)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 3090 Ti LC OC
    Sound CardSupremeFX
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB
    CPU CoolerEK Quantum Velocity2
    CaseThermaltake Tower 900
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600 T2
    Keyboard ROG Falchion NX / Strix Flare II
    Mouse ROG Chakram X/Chakram Core/Spatha X
    Headset ROG Delta S Animate
    Mouse Pad Steelseries Prism XL + ROG Scabbard II
    OS Windows 11 Home
    Accessory #1 2x Swiftech Maelstrom X300 D5 V2
    Accessory #2 2x Hardware Labs SR2 560 MP radiators
    Accessory #3 Lamptron FC-5 V3 fan controller
    Nate152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    377
    Posts
    17,391

    Hi protos

    All you're doing is overclocking the core clock and the memory clock with the sliders, if you crash back off the core clock, if you get artifacting back off the memory clock.

    If all is good try and push a little higher in small increments and keep testing with unigine valley.

    Please post us a screen shot of your GPU Tweak settings, that is a very nice score.

  4. #24
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    40

    Quote Originally Posted by JargonHolpick View Post
    @Protos:

    You oc'ed the 1080 strix? Can you share your settings?
    If possible both, The OC tool and Heaven benchmark.
    Afterburner is a Tool provided by MSI (screenshot)https://www.dropbox.com/s/uisk670m8t484g9/ab.JPG?dl=0. It is comparable with ASUS GPU Tweak or EVGA's Precision.
    I personal prefer Afterburner because of the constant monitoring on screen. But I guess you can't go wrong with any of those applications.

    By the way, the difference is pretty huge in score but I must say that the 1070 performs pretty well compared to the extra hardware under the 1080's hood.
    Wow I just downloaded the MSI Afterburner software with the Riva tuner Statistics Software and it is awesome! Asus needs to make this kind of software. Thank you for the recommendation sir!
    When I get time to learn how to use the Afterburner, I will try to do an OC on my Asus GTX 1080 strix stock. I'll post my settings then.

    By the way where can I make a suggestion to Asus to make a similar software to MSI Afterburner and Riva tuner Statistics?
    Last edited by protos; 08-04-2016 at 07:03 AM.

  5. #25
    Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix Z690-F Gaming WiFi
    Processori7-12700KF
    Memory (part number)Kingston Fury Beast 16GB (2x8GB) 6000MT/s (KF560C40B)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 3090 Ti LC OC
    Sound CardSupremeFX
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB
    CPU CoolerEK Quantum Velocity2
    CaseThermaltake Tower 900
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600 T2
    Keyboard ROG Falchion NX / Strix Flare II
    Mouse ROG Chakram X/Chakram Core/Spatha X
    Headset ROG Delta S Animate
    Mouse Pad Steelseries Prism XL + ROG Scabbard II
    OS Windows 11 Home
    Accessory #1 2x Swiftech Maelstrom X300 D5 V2
    Accessory #2 2x Hardware Labs SR2 560 MP radiators
    Accessory #3 Lamptron FC-5 V3 fan controller
    Nate152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    377
    Posts
    17,391

    Since you chose Afterburner click "On Screen Display" in white at the bottom of my post. It doesn't say how to overclock your gpu only how to use the on screen display.

    You can say what features you'd like with GPU Tweak here.

    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...U-Tweak/page16

    With Afterburner you won't be able to control the gpu fan headers if you decide to use them.

  6. #26
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    40

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate152 View Post
    Since you chose Afterburner click "On Screen Display" in white at the bottom of my post. It doesn't say how to overclock your gpu only how to use the on screen display.

    You can say what features you'd like with GPU Tweak here.

    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...U-Tweak/page16

    With Afterburner you won't be able to control the gpu fan headers if you decide to use them.
    Thank you

  7. #27
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    1070 Strix OC underperforming?

    Hi,

    When I turn on the OC profile in GPU Tweak II with my 1070 Strix OC edition and run Heaven/Unigen, my boost clock jumps to ~2050 MHz for about 5 seconds before dropping to 2000 MHz for another 5 and finally dropping to 1987 MHz for the rest of the test.
    Temperatures climb to about 72-73C and stay stable there. I've read that some users can easily get 2000+ MHz out of the box with the OC Mode, at lower temperatures.
    Did I simply lose the silicon lottery in this case and receive an extremely underwhelming unit?

  8. #28
    Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix Z690-F Gaming WiFi
    Processori7-12700KF
    Memory (part number)Kingston Fury Beast 16GB (2x8GB) 6000MT/s (KF560C40B)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 3090 Ti LC OC
    Sound CardSupremeFX
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB
    CPU CoolerEK Quantum Velocity2
    CaseThermaltake Tower 900
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600 T2
    Keyboard ROG Falchion NX / Strix Flare II
    Mouse ROG Chakram X/Chakram Core/Spatha X
    Headset ROG Delta S Animate
    Mouse Pad Steelseries Prism XL + ROG Scabbard II
    OS Windows 11 Home
    Accessory #1 2x Swiftech Maelstrom X300 D5 V2
    Accessory #2 2x Hardware Labs SR2 560 MP radiators
    Accessory #3 Lamptron FC-5 V3 fan controller
    Nate152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    377
    Posts
    17,391

    Hi Lamarnix

    Welcome to the ROG forum !

    In OC mode it only adds +10MHz to the power target and +25MHz to the core clock and doesn't overclock the memory which is where pascal really shines. Try overclocking it manually with my settings and see if it stays around 2000MHz-2038MHz, you may even get alot more like Jargon Holpick did. Unfortunately the core clock doesn't stay at a constant speed as with previous gpu's but the memory does.

    Your temps look good for the fan being on auto, 82c is the throttle point. Airflow in your case and room temp will play a big role with your gpu temp, I have the fan curve set to when the temp hits 60c the fans are running full speed and temp stays around 61c.

  9. #29
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate152 View Post
    Hi Lamarnix

    Welcome to the ROG forum !

    In OC mode it only adds +10MHz to the power target and +25MHz to the core clock and doesn't overclock the memory which is where pascal really shines. Try overclocking it manually with my settings and see if it stays around 2000MHz-2038MHz, you may even get alot more like Jargon Holpick did. Unfortunately the core clock doesn't stay at a constant speed as with previous gpu's but the memory does.

    Your temps look good for the fan being on auto, 82c is the throttle point. Airflow in your case and room temp will play a big role with your gpu temp, I have the fan curve set to when the temp hits 60c the fans are running full speed and temp stays around 61c.
    Thanks for your reply Nate,

    I will attempt to overclock the card as you've posted in OP. I see that you use GPU Tweak II to overclock - would you recommend that software over any software (i.e. Afterburner) ?
    Also, when you mention that the clock doesn't stay constant, I've seen people's boost go up to about 2030 MHz and stay constant there, whereas mine goes up to about the same for something on the order of 3 seconds before instantly dropping to 1987 MHz and staying constant there - all while staying at exactly 72C with the default fan curve. My question is: is this throttling behaviour by the boost clock due to temps or is this instability in the core (i.e. silicon lottery)?

  10. #30
    Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix Z690-F Gaming WiFi
    Processori7-12700KF
    Memory (part number)Kingston Fury Beast 16GB (2x8GB) 6000MT/s (KF560C40B)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 3090 Ti LC OC
    Sound CardSupremeFX
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB
    CPU CoolerEK Quantum Velocity2
    CaseThermaltake Tower 900
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600 T2
    Keyboard ROG Falchion NX / Strix Flare II
    Mouse ROG Chakram X/Chakram Core/Spatha X
    Headset ROG Delta S Animate
    Mouse Pad Steelseries Prism XL + ROG Scabbard II
    OS Windows 11 Home
    Accessory #1 2x Swiftech Maelstrom X300 D5 V2
    Accessory #2 2x Hardware Labs SR2 560 MP radiators
    Accessory #3 Lamptron FC-5 V3 fan controller
    Nate152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    377
    Posts
    17,391

    You can use any overclocking tool you like but if you decide to use the gpu fan headers, you can only control the fans with gpu tweak.

    I'll run the unigine valley test in OC mode and see where the clock speed mostly stays then I'll update this post.

    In OC mode mine mainly stays at 1987MHz too, try increasing the boost/core clock a notch or two it should run at 2000MHz+.

    Make sure v-sync is disabled.

Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •