cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating all Drivers and BIOS

Not_Enough_Rage
Level 11
Hello everyone;

It`s been a week now since I started my PC for the first time and installed the Windows 10 software. The PC is running pretty good with the factory BIOS, chipset drivers, and all the drivers that were installed by the manufacturer installation discs. There is only one device that is not working properly, and that is the Intel Management Interface Engine. It will not start and has a code 10.
But, at the moment I have a question about all the drivers and the BIOS version that is currently on my system.. Should I update them all, or leave them alone. I would like to update all drivers, as the latest drivers will fix some known issues and improve some things. But, I am nervous about updating them. I am worried that something may happen and I`ll get all frustrated and not know how to fix it.
So, I would like to ask for help on how to install current drivers for all the devices I have and the BIOS. I need step by step instructions because I`m not that computer savvy. I catch on quick, but I still have a lot to learn.
Thanks.
137 REPLIES 137

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Not_Enough_Rage 🙂

Yes all drivers should be up to date and you may have to update your BIOS.
Detailed instructions for a Bios update will be given if required.
The Intel Management Interface Engine is an important driver to update and should be got directly from the Intel site.
Check all your drivers in Device Manager, when and if you get into Windows.

Qcode 10 is "PEI core is started" which means Pre EFI initialization. This phase of post is looking for memory then passes on to the DXE environment.
I cannot find your DIMMs listed on the ASUS QVL list (although it may not be up to date), so they may or may not work well with the CPU IMC.
Bios Tweaks can rectify this, if you know what you are doing and it can be frustrating to get them to work.
Try with just one DIMM in first slot initially in single channel mode and see if that works and make sure the module is inserted and pushed down correctly.
You can add the other modules later.
See how you go and please report back.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

This code 10 is in the Device Manager under the general tab of the Intel Management Engine Interface Properties window. It says;

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE

PCI bus 0, device 22, function 0

It is not on the Qcodes. Would this be the same error?
Anyway, I uninstalled the Intel MEI driver from the Device Manager and at the Control Panel, then downloaded the new updated MEI driver from Intel. When I tried to install the new driver, it just re-installed the old driver back to the Device Manager, but no MEI shows in the Control Panel.

The memory I have is listed in G.Skill`s QVL for the M8E MB`s. Does this mean that G.Skill has tested this combination? Currently both memory sticks are showing both sticks in the BIOS at factory timings.

MeanMachine wrote:
Hi Not_Enough_Rage 🙂

Yes all drivers should be up to date and you may have to update your BIOS.
Detailed instructions for a Bios update will be given if required.
The Intel Management Interface Engine is an important driver to update and should be got directly from the Intel site.
Check all your drivers in Device Manager, when and if you get into Windows.

Qcode 10 is "PEI core is started" which means Pre EFI initialization. This phase of post is looking for memory then passes on to the DXE environment.
I cannot find your DIMMs listed on the ASUS QVL list (although it may not be up to date), so they may or may not work well with the CPU IMC.
Bios Tweaks can rectify this, if you know what you are doing and it can be frustrating to get them to work.
Try with just one DIMM in first slot initially in single channel mode and see if that works and make sure the module is inserted and pushed down correctly.
You can add the other modules later.
See how you go and please report back.

I have read a little of these. question since i did install the intel management interface engine, from the Asus website. there is a difference on both and why is the issue from the asus. I did full install with windows 10 pro 64bits. but i want to be sure...
Learn, Play Enjoy!

MeanMachine
Level 13
Did you install the driver with Admin privilege as MS security may prevent the installation. you must have the correct driver for your MB.
Run the Intel Management Engine Verification Utility.

Your DIMMs would default to standard JDEC spd timings and if you have an XMP profile you can manually change the settings in Bios.
You can check the SPD info for Primary Timings and voltage in the Tools section of Bios.

As I said you may need a Bios update, What version are you on.?

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Did you install the driver with Admin privilege as MS security may prevent the installation. you must have the correct driver for your MB.
Run the Intel Management Engine Verification Utility.

Your DIMMs would default to standard JDEC spd timings and if you have an XMP profile you can manually change the settings in Bios.
You can check the SPD info for Primary Timings and voltage in the Tools section of Bios.

As I said you may need a Bios update, What version are you on.?

I`m almost certain the driver was installed with Admin privileges, but how do I check?
Maybe I did have the wrong driver, can you tell me which one is the right one?
I don`t know where to find the Engine Verification Utility.
I`m going to leave the DIMM modules at default timings until I get all these drivers updated.
My BIOS version is at 1402.

I told ya I`m not that computer savvy when it comes to tech terms. :confused: I need baby steps for now. 😮

MeanMachine
Level 13
If you are the Admin and only user on your system, whenever you activate a .EXE file, you right click and select to run as Administrator.

The Intel Management Interface Engine is available from ASUS support for your MB and should be installed prior to updating the Bios.
Go here to support listed under "Chipset" : http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/

You can also go here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=intel+management+engine

And for verification utility go here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19009/Intel-Management-Engine-Verification-Utility

Your latest Bios is 1701 for improved system stability.

Go here for guide on Flashing your Bios. Some variation for your MB model will apply.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

Baby steps for best Bios update using the ROG IO rear panel.
You will need an empty USB stick, formatted to Fat32.
Download the Bios file from ASUS support to the USB and check the file has .CAP extension.
Power down your system so there is only power to the MB.
Insert the USB stick into the correct USB port for flashback then press the ROG connect button for a few seconds till the led starts to blink.
When it stops you are done. If confused refer to your MB manual.

Note: If the light flashes for five seconds and turns stable, USB BIOS Flashback is not operating properly. This may be caused by improper installation of the portable storage device, an error in the file name, or incompatibility in file formats.
If this is the case, restart the system until the light clears, and check the file name and format.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

I wish I could post a screen shot of my drives here. I`ll be able to explain what happened when I tried to download the the Intel ME driver. I did a post about this in the General topics thread. One poster said I may not have enough posts to enable the picture posting, and to contact a Moderator.

When I downloaded the driver, it went to the CD-Rom drive!!!. I don`t know how to explain any further, but I think this has to do with when I first installed Windows and did the drive set up.

MeanMachine
Level 13
A downloaded file will not be automatically saved to cd-rom. A file is downloaded to where you specify on your HDD or SSD.
If in zip format you have to unzip the file then burn it to disk.
You will need to check your priority settings in Bios. Do you know how.?

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

I did`nt choose for it to go there, and I don`t think it is supposed to even open to the optical drive. When I open up Disk Management, there are 3 CD ROM drives. I only have one optical drive. Also I need to assign a drive letter to the rest of the drives. I think, like you said it may be something I have to change in BIOS. But, I still wish I could post a screen shot of what my drive set up looks like. I don`t think they are set up correctly.

No sir, I don`t know what to change in the BIOS. I would also like to know how to get in BIOS with out re-booting.