cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Tweak Minimum Fan Speed?

WetMacula
Level 7
Just installed a STRIX 1070 and connected a few 140-mm case fans to its headers. The minimum fan speed in GPU tweak is 50% and I find it too loud for a HTPC. Are there any hacks to lower the minimum fan speed for the 4-pin fan headers? Already checked the (2) INI files. Wonder why they imposed this limit. If there is no workaround please consider lowering the minimum in the next revision.
12 REPLIES 12

toronto699
Level 13
PM Nate he may be able to help u with that
https://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?107341-Nate152
or someone in the Asus Graphics card thread my have a the answer
https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?118-Nvidia-Graphics-Cards

Looks like I got bigger problems. Just like Fan Xpert, GPU Tweak appears to be plagued with bugs and unreliable. Seems like ASUS needs to divert budget from marketing and focus on software. They seem to be catering to kids with meaningless bullet items like "Auto-Extreme Technology with Super Alloy Power II" and putting Christmas lights on the hardware.

On the other hand dual HDMI ports, PWM fan headers, and 0-speed fans below an adjustable temperature are all inovative and useful, especially for HTPC builds using MadVR. One HDMI can connect to an AVR and the other can connect to a TV. I usually buy Sabertooth boards because they have multiple temp sensors that can be assigned to specific fan headers. This should be a feature on all ASUS boards! At the very least, an assignable GPU temp sensor. Unfortunately Fan Xpert software is always buggy and frustrating. I suspect they spend 60% of the manhours trying to skin the stupid thing rather than adding more options and making it reliable. Inevitably, I end up uninstalling it and using ccleaner to remove all the other crap it leaves behind, then adjust all fans in the BIOS. Even as I type in this forum, I'm wondering why the words aren't wrapping.

As for GPU Tweak II, I went to the ASUS support site, installed the 7/15/16 GPU Tweak on a fully updated Windows 10 x64 Enterprise at 175% dpi. I tell it to minimize the monitor and main program on boot, then when it boots, the live updater still pops up (with no information) so I have to minimize it manually. Click on GPU Tweak in the taskbar, then most it appears offscreen. Now it has to centered manually and there isn't enough space to fit both the monitor and the program on the same screen at 175% dpi. It defaults to the home screen with no option to always load the "professional mode". I save a custom profile. With the previous version, that profile would not save. I tried taking ownership of the entire C drive and running as administrator. Appears to be fixed in the 7/15 version but If I save a custom profile then click that profile name, it resets the f__ing profile! Frustrating. Like Fan Xpert, this thing can't be trusted to run a cooling system. Wish I could program the GPU FAN and PWM header fan curves into the BIOS. Why is the LED control not baked into GPU Tweak? ASUS, if you are reading this please hire a competent programmer. Fan Xpert and GPU Tweak have so much potential.

WetMacula wrote:
Looks like I got bigger problems. Just like Fan Xpert, GPU Tweak appears to be plagued with bugs and unreliable. Seems like ASUS needs to divert budget from marketing and focus on software. They seem to be catering to kids with meaningless bullet items like "Auto-Extreme Technology with Super Alloy Power II" and putting Christmas lights on the hardware.

On the other hand dual HDMI ports, PWM fan headers, and 0-speed fans below an adjustable temperature are all inovative and useful, especially for HTPC builds using MadVR. One HDMI can connect to an AVR and the other can connect to a TV. I usually buy Sabertooth boards because they have multiple temp sensors that can be assigned to specific fan headers. This should be a feature on all ASUS boards! At the very least, an assignable GPU temp sensor. Unfortunately Fan Xpert software is always buggy and frustrating. I suspect they spend 60% of the manhours trying to skin the stupid thing rather than adding more options and making it reliable. Inevitably, I end up uninstalling it and using ccleaner to remove all the other crap it leaves behind, then adjust all fans in the BIOS. Even as I type in this forum, I'm wondering why the words aren't wrapping.

As for GPU Tweak II, I went to the ASUS support site, installed the 7/15/16 GPU Tweak on a fully updated Windows 10 x64 Enterprise at 175% dpi. I tell it to minimize the monitor and main program on boot, then when it boots, the live updater still pops up (with no information) so I have to minimize it manually. Click on GPU Tweak in the taskbar, then most it appears offscreen. Now it has to centered manually and there isn't enough space to fit both the monitor and the program on the same screen at 175% dpi. It defaults to the home screen with no option to always load the "professional mode". I save a custom profile. With the previous version, that profile would not save. I tried taking ownership of the entire C drive and running as administrator. Appears to be fixed in the 7/15 version but If I save a custom profile then click that profile name, it resets the f__ing profile! Frustrating. Like Fan Xpert, this thing can't be trusted to run a cooling system. Wish I could program the GPU FAN and PWM header fan curves into the BIOS. Why is the LED control not baked into GPU Tweak? ASUS, if you are reading this please hire a competent programmer. Fan Xpert and GPU Tweak have so much potential.

GPU tweak is programmed by noobs that dont know how fix their own code. I'd like to suggest trying SpeedFan, that allows me to run everything thru a fan hub while use the CPU fan plug to run the PWM controls. IF I do any OC'ing, I do it thru AMD's CCC (280x card). I'm sure Nvidia has its own overdrive options, plus there is MSI Afterburner that seems work for everyone.

Dont get me wrong, GPU Tweak has the best intentions, it has features people want, but its just has a **** reputation for being **** program. 😛
SpeedFan controls fans and temps, once you learn how to configure it properly. :cool:

Nate152
Hi guys !

I haven't asked any Asus officials but I imagine they put a 50% fan speed limit on the headers to keep good airflow in your case for the motherboard, hdd's/ssd'ds/M.2 ssd's etc..., better a little noise than people complaining of high temps or even worse component failure.

If the fans are too loud at 50% you could always use the motherboard fan headers.

I'd use motherboard headers if I could control fans off GPU temp. Only time the case heats up is when the GPU is loaded. I sent the following message to Bahz.

I have a 1070 STRIX running on Windows 10 x64 Enterprise at 175% DPI. Bought this card because it has (2) HDMI 2.0 ports and (2) PWM fan headers. Both of these features are useful for HTPC builds, unfortunately the latest version of GPU Tweak II has multiple issues. I also use GPU Tweak II at the same time as Afterburner Beta 4. I don’t change any settings in Afterburner other than monitoring so I can use RivaTuner OSD.
In Tweak, after saving a custom profile, if I click on a different stock profile or the saved custom profile, it resets the settings in the custom profile.

Since yesterday, the GPU and external fans are no longer behaving in accordance with my custom curves. Auto and manual appear to be working. I don’t know what caused this.

Reduce the minimum fan speed to 0 for the external PWM controlled fans. It is limited to 50%. I ended up buying slower fans because 50% was too loud for a HTPC. Don’t see a reason for the 50% limit. The user should have the ability to choose what speeds are appropriate.

If I set the tweak and the monitor to start minimized with Windows, the live updater still appears (with no information). It has to be minimized. Then I have to click on the taskbar icon. The program opens mostly off-screen and the 3 gauges are not centered in the program until I manually move the program window.

Under settings, the selection buttons for how updates are received are not working. All 3 of mine are selected at the same time.

Add the ability to start in professional mode.

Please forward this to the appropriate people at ASUS.

WetMacula wrote:
I'd use motherboard headers if I could control fans off GPU temp. Only time the case heats up is when the GPU is loaded. I sent the following message to Bahz.

I have a 1070 STRIX running on Windows 10 x64 Enterprise at 175% DPI. Bought this card because it has (2) HDMI 2.0 ports and (2) PWM fan headers. Both of these features are useful for HTPC builds, unfortunately the latest version of GPU Tweak II has multiple issues. I also use GPU Tweak II at the same time as Afterburner Beta 4. I don’t change any settings in Afterburner other than monitoring so I can use RivaTuner OSD.
In Tweak, after saving a custom profile, if I click on a different stock profile or the saved custom profile, it resets the settings in the custom profile.

Since yesterday, the GPU and external fans are no longer behaving in accordance with my custom curves. Auto and manual appear to be working. I don’t know what caused this.

Reduce the minimum fan speed to 0 for the external PWM controlled fans. It is limited to 50%. I ended up buying slower fans because 50% was too loud for a HTPC. Don’t see a reason for the 50% limit. The user should have the ability to choose what speeds are appropriate.

If I set the tweak and the monitor to start minimized with Windows, the live updater still appears (with no information). It has to be minimized. Then I have to click on the taskbar icon. The program opens mostly off-screen and the 3 gauges are not centered in the program until I manually move the program window.

Under settings, the selection buttons for how updates are received are not working. All 3 of mine are selected at the same time.

Add the ability to start in professional mode.

Please forward this to the appropriate people at ASUS.

I suggest you try SpeedFan, properly configured, it can do what you want. It doesnt have the sugar coating GPUT has, but thats not as important as having a working program without all the bugs. If GPUT stomps out the bugs, us ASUS owners would have something to be proud of.
SpeedFan controls fans and temps, once you learn how to configure it properly. :cool:

With Ver1.3.3.2 there are no changes to minimum rpm and they've increased the temperature limit to 60 C. I've lost all hope. :mad: Uninstalling this POS for good and will control the fans with something else. Shame those (2) PWM headers on the 1070 STRIX will go to waste. ASUS needs to fire the current developers and find someone who can get the job done.

Bahz
Level 12
I have already followed up with our software team on this issue, I'll provide updates once I hear back.

Chino
Level 15
At the moment, the lowest it can go is 50%. Personally I don't see that as a big problem but it do depend on the quality of your fans. I have a pair of Noctuas connected to the GPU and I don't even know they are there. And these aren't even the normal models. They are the industrial ones. 🙂