cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do you keep your little fan board in your computer?

Brighttail
Level 11
Hey all,

So I got this little fan controller with the Rampage V Edition 10. I do like it and I have attached several fans to it. My only concern is where do I place it in my computer?

It has two holes in it and I used washers to attach it to the back of my case but I noticed that even with the washers there were places where the solder points could touch the case.

I don't want to short anything out, but I am kinda stuck where to place this thing.

Right now I have it sitting in a HD tray, but I will have to move it once my HDD gets back from WD.

So what do you all think? Safe to attach it to the case? Should I worry about it touching the case? I have a phanteks enthoo primo case and there is an area where phanteks placed its own fan controller but that was much smaller than this one.

I'd appreciate the help

Thanks,

BT
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop
2 REPLIES 2

Ntwlf
Level 12
Hi Brighttail,
You've got a keen eye and good attention to detail, kudos to you.

You definitely don't want the back of the circuit board to come in contact with anything conductive, even painted metal.
There are many solutions to your situation. A piece of cardboard, rubber or plastic cut to the same size as the circuit board to use as an insulator/spacer instead of washers. Wide foam weatherstripping (hardware store) can be used as well, even velcro tape will work (3M brand is best). If you don't like the color of the insulator/spacer material you can paint it, but I advise against any metallic paints (potentially conductive). Another alternative is to cut short pieces of rubber or vinyl tubing to serve as spacers instead of washers. Have their length long enough to hold the circuit board off of the surface in which it's mounted to, this may/does require longer screws.

A tip for prepping the back of the circuit board if the solder points are sharp and or stand out a good bit. Sand (around 180 grit) the solder points down a little bit with sandpaper on a flat surface such as a table. Most quality component manufacturers will have already done this, but some don't. This helps if you use adhesive backed material to stick to the back of the circuit board if you try that method.

As far as placement? I'm unable to help you definitively as every pc combination generally requires different solutions, the best I could recommend is placing it in a location not to be disturbed by moving/accessing other components but still be accessible should you need to change fan cables.

Ntwlf wrote:
Hi Brighttail,
You've got a keen eye and good attention to detail, kudos to you.

You definitely don't want the back of the circuit board to come in contact with anything conductive, even painted metal.
There are many solutions to your situation. A piece of cardboard, rubber or plastic cut to the same size as the circuit board to use as an insulator/spacer instead of washers. Wide foam weatherstripping (hardware store) can be used as well, even velcro tape will work (3M brand is best). If you don't like the color of the insulator/spacer material you can paint it, but I advise against any metallic paints (potentially conductive). Another alternative is to cut short pieces of rubber or vinyl tubing to serve as spacers instead of washers. Have their length long enough to hold the circuit board off of the surface in which it's mounted to, this may/does require longer screws.

A tip for prepping the back of the circuit board if the solder points are sharp and or stand out a good bit. Sand (around 180 grit) the solder points down a little bit with sandpaper on a flat surface such as a table. Most quality component manufacturers will have already done this, but some don't. This helps if you use adhesive backed material to stick to the back of the circuit board if you try that method.

As far as placement? I'm unable to help you definitively as every pc combination generally requires different solutions, the best I could recommend is placing it in a location not to be disturbed by moving/accessing other components but still be accessible should you need to change fan cables.

The Phanteks case that I have came with a fan hub. On that hub it had a non-conductive piece of clear plastic that was stuck on the back with adhesive. So I took this off and put it on the back of the fan controller and screwed it in to the same slot as the other.

It works. Doesn't look great but it is the back of the computer, on the other side of the motherboard so meh.

Thanks tho. If it doesn't work I'll use electrical tape.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop