cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a source for G20aj SATA cables?

deemon328
Level 8
Hey everyone, I just purchased a used G20aj-US0009s and was adding an ssd. Unfortunately, the SATA cable wasn't there. Further complicating the issue, the SATA header orientation in this location is not the same as the primary HDD orientation. If I try to use the HDD SATA cable, the right angle housing will interfere with the power connection pins. I could use the DVD cable, but then the DVD drive would be non-functional which isn't ok either.

Hopefully, that all made sense. Here are some photos for reference.

SATA cable for SSD drive header SATA_3 and DVD drive header SATA_2, right angle to straight:

In the next photo, reference only the connector on the right side. SATA cable for primary HDD SATA_1, right angle to right angle:

Both connectors on the ASUS cable for SATA_1 have the same orientation(which is the connector on the right side in the photo above), which I can't find a match for on digikey.

So, there's what we are dealing with. Now, how do we proceed when we are missing cables? Hopefully, you never lose the SATA_1 cable, since it appears to be proprietary, but circumventing it could be done with a right angle to straight cable and an upgrade to an SSD and drive mounting bracket in that location.

The SATA_2 and SATA_3 connectors are a bit easier, as long as you pay attention to the orientation of the cable housing. I was fortunate enough to have a right angle to straight cable in an ancient computer that I repurposed to the DVD drive and used the DVD drive cable for the SSD. The problem is that the cable was a foot long and had to be shoved underneath the dvd/ssd caddy.

All of the cables I've seen have been a minimum of a foot long. Does anyone know if 6" versions of these cables are available anywhere?
5 REPLIES 5

USA, that one is straight to straight though. BTW, thanks for all the videos you have made for the G20; I watched several of them to work on mine.

I was pretty disappointed initially at what I received (a used unit on ebay). It had the worst and most excessive thermal paste job I'd ever seen, and the video card crashed out as soon as any game was started. Thanks in part to your videos, I put in an SSD, more memory, new video card (a 980, wow how nice) and I properly repasted the CPU. Now I'm broke and happy, lol!

Was there ever a solution to this? I bought a used one too and the power was there but not the sata... i don't understand why people are removing these.. and if they are to make money off them... where are they lol.

xfxchilde wrote:
Was there ever a solution to this? I bought a used one too and the power was there but not the sata... i don't understand why people are removing these.. and if they are to make money off them... where are they lol.

It's absolutely no big deal, there are plenty of vendors with a single right-angle and then straight end SATA cable with will work fine in the G20AJ.

I got mine here - worked perfect. It's a 6Gbps cable too. Very affordable ...

http://www.satacable.com/4-sata-device-cable-straight-to-right-angle.html