cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading The Rog g20: Recommended Buying List?

Tw1nDestr0yer
Level 7
So my warranty for the Rog g20AJ is almost over and i'm planning to upgrade it.
I would like to upgrade the GPU, add more RAM, add an SSD, and upgrade the CPU
My question is, what would you recommend when shopping for parts?
Currently, my computer is i5-4660 CPU, Nvidia GeForce GTX750, 1TB, and 8 GB RAM
I don't really know too much about computers and would appreciate some recommendation.

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
Tw1nDestr0yer wrote:
So my warranty for the Rog g20AJ is almost over and i'm planning to upgrade it.
I would like to upgrade the GPU, add more RAM, add an SSD, and upgrade the CPU
My question is, what would you recommend when shopping for parts?
Currently, my computer is i5-4660 CPU, Nvidia GeForce GTX750, 1TB, and 8 GB RAM
I don't really know too much about computers and would appreciate some recommendation.

Thanks!

o.k cool, where are you from the world and then I can give you links to parts you want, this is what I would go for

CPU ~ i7 4790 (non-k)

GPU ~ GTX 1080 or AMD R9 480

MEMORY ~ 16gigs DDR3

HDD ~ 480GB+ SSD & 2TB+ SSHD

are you doing the installs yourself? need guides? I can link some from myself and a good friend DrewEon

thanks

Welsh Gaming

Welsh Whoopee wrote:
o.k cool, where are you from the world and then I can give you links to parts you want, this is what I would go for

CPU ~ i7 4790 (non-k)

GPU ~ GTX 1080 or AMD R9 480

MEMORY ~ 16gigs DDR3

HDD ~ 480GB+ SSD & 2TB+ SSHD

are you doing the installs yourself? need guides? I can link some from myself and a good friend DrewEon

thanks

Welsh Gaming

I live in Canada. But i will probably check out my local computer store or online store like amazon.
For guides, Its funny because i actually watched both you and DrewEon videos. Probably install it myself with your videos opened for help.
BTW, your videos are very helpful.

Tw1nDestr0yer wrote:
I live in Canada. But i will probably check out my local computer store or online store like amazon.
For guides, Its funny because i actually watched both you and DrewEon videos. Probably install it myself with your videos opened for help.
BTW, your videos are very helpful.

a lot of times it just comes down to people's budget, like if you want to upgrade the GPU, you also need to add in the extra money for power brick.
it also depends what you will be doing with the system, just for games, then maybe just a i5 4790 can do the same job.
I am glad mine and DrewEon have able to help others 🙂

Welsh Whoopee wrote:
a lot of times it just comes down to people's budget, like if you want to upgrade the GPU, you also need to add in the extra money for power brick.
it also depends what you will be doing with the system, just for games, then maybe just a i5 4790 can do the same job.
I am glad mine and DrewEon have able to help others 🙂

Budget. would like to spend as little as i can for what i need. Don't want Overkill yet.
Well, my system is working fine. but want a "faster" system. I live stream but a lot of times, i will have cpu problems/ game lag or fps issues. As well, I video edit a lot so would like something to help my videos render faster.

But for the previous recommendation, do you think it will be fine?

Tw1nDestr0yer wrote:
Budget. would like to spend as little as i can for what i need. Don't want Overkill yet.
Well, my system is working fine. but want a "faster" system. I live stream but a lot of times, i will have cpu problems/ game lag or fps issues. As well, I video edit a lot so would like something to help my videos render faster.

But for the previous recommendation, do you think it will be fine?

now I have a better idea, thanks for the info 🙂

cpu ~ get the i7 4790 a 8core cpu, a good around gaming cpu and great for video rendering cause of the 8cores

gpu ~ then see if you can either afford the gtx 1060 or gtx 1070 (Founders Edition) you can use a thing called "Shadow Play" this will allow you to record and stream to you tube and twitch tv, shadow play will use the power of the gpu rather then cpu so your not hit at all on fps of games. I have a few streams and record videos on my channel that I only use shadow play.

ram ~ having 16gb of ram will help with having a lot of programs open at once

storage ~ ssd for quick load speeds, 120gb for OS and a few games. or 240gb OS and quite a few games.

the above items are what I would be cheap and will do the job quite good, let me know if you need any more info on any of the above answers I give

Welsh Gaming

Welsh Whoopee wrote:
now I have a better idea, thanks for the info 🙂

cpu ~ get the i7 4790 a 8core cpu, a good around gaming cpu and great for video rendering cause of the 8cores

gpu ~ then see if you can either afford the gtx 1060 or gtx 1070 (Founders Edition) you can use a thing called "Shadow Play" this will allow you to record and stream to you tube and twitch tv, shadow play will use the power of the gpu rather then cpu so your not hit at all on fps of games. I have a few streams and record videos on my channel that I only use shadow play.

ram ~ having 16gb of ram will help with having a lot of programs open at once

storage ~ ssd for quick load speeds, 120gb for OS and a few games. or 240gb OS and quite a few games.

the above items are what I would be cheap and will do the job quite good, let me know if you need any more info on any of the above answers I give

Welsh Gaming

Thank You! Welsh Gaming!

Tw1nDestr0yer wrote:
Thank You! Welsh Gaming!

hey no worries, let us all know. what upgrades you done and how its gone? if you need any help, either grab me on my channel or leave message here

good luck

Whoopee