cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero does not recognize Samsung 950 PRO M.2 NVME

N0va
Level 7
Hello,

i bought a new Asus Maximus VIII Hero and with it a new Samsung 950 PRO M.2 NVM Express. I installed the SSD in the M.2 slot but the motherboard does not detect it. I can not find the drive anywhere in the BIOS.
I tried several things with the boot options to be able to install Windows 10 on the SSD but I did not manage to get it working.
Then I installed Windows on an old, normal 2.5 inch SATA SSD with all the provided drivers from the CD; Windows does not find the 950 PRO in the device manager.

Except of this issue with the M.2 Slot the board works fine with an Intel i7-6700k, 16 GB Corsair Dominator 2666MHz RAM and an EVGA NVIDIA GTX 680 SC.

Are there any options I missed in order to get the 950 PRO working? Because at the moment it just looks like the SSD or the Board are broken. I have no other board with an M.2 slot so I can not really check if the SSD is ok.
9 REPLIES 9

Chino
Level 15
At the step where the installation asks you for a media, does the Samsung 950 show up on the list?

Also which version of Windows are you installing?

N0va
Level 7
I tried installing Windows 10 on the M.2 SSD and it did not show up in the list of harddrives (none showed up since I only had the M.2 SSD connected). Then I installed Windows 10 on an old SSD of mine and now from the OS on this drive I do not see the 950 Pro in the device manager either.

I have the strong feeling that something is wrong with my Samsung 950Pro; since it just looks like nothing is connected. Since the board is working flawlessly I think if there is a hardware problem its on the M.2 drive.

N0va wrote:
I tried installing Windows 10 on the M.2 SSD and it did not show up in the list of harddrives (none showed up since I only had the M.2 SSD connected). Then I installed Windows 10 on an old SSD of mine and now from the OS on this drive I do not see the 950 Pro in the device manager either.

I have the strong feeling that something is wrong with my Samsung 950Pro; since it just looks like nothing is connected. Since the board is working flawlessly I think if there is a hardware problem its on the M.2 drive.

Correct.

Can you list your complete system specifications for me?

Chino wrote:
Correct.

Can you list your complete system specifications for me?

• Asus Maximus VIII Hero, BIOS Version 1701
  • Intel Core i7-6700K 4,0 GHz (Skylake) Sockel 1151
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum Series DDR4-2666, CL15 - 16 GB Kit
  • EVGA GTX 680 SC
  • Samsung 950 Pro 512GB internal SSD (M.2 with NVMe, PCI Express 3.0x4)
  • BeQuiet Dark Power PRO: 1200 Watt PSU

For the Operating System Windows 10 64bit Education. Since the installation on the Samsung 950 Pro failed (it does not show up) I installed this Windows on an old Crucial SSD 128GB. I do not see the M.2 SSD anywhere in the Bios and from Windows on the other SSD I do not see it either; no entry in the device manager, Samsung NVMe drivers can not be installed "because no Samsung SSD is found". After installation of the drivers from the driver DVD there are actually no unknown devices left in the Device Manager.
During my previous attempts on installing Windows on the Samsung 950 Pro I tried the system without the GTX 680 since it was preventing me from booting without CMS. But this did not help either. I tried various different boot options but no positiv result. This is why I am currently trying to get the Samsung 950 Pro working not as boot drive just to see if it is working at all.

I reseated the SSD in the M.2 Slot several times but as you can see in the first post; it sits in its slot with the screw in place and there is only one way to insert it since the pins are assymetric so I am basically sure that I installed it correctly.

What I did not try is to disconnect all other devices; the USB devices except mouse and keyboard and my DVD/Blueray-drive. I will try this at home but I really doubt that the USB devices (front panel, fan-controller, water pump and led-module) and the DVD drive make a difference. But with them disconnected I only have curcial parts connected.

Jagdseelen
Level 8
You need to set it up in the Bios first.

Jagdseelen wrote:
You need to set it up in the Bios first.

Ähm ok; but how exactly do I set it up there??!

Denaba
Level 7
Hello N0va. I remember having this problem too, but let's see if my gray matter retained what I did.

Definitely remove all other devices and just leave the Sammy
Did you clear the CMOS? You mentioned you have made settings adjustments, might as well at this point just start like new. Check the mobo manual how to clear the CMOS. Later once we get the Sammy to be seen you can go back and make whatever adjustments in the BIOS for those things.
Go in to the BIOS after clearing, go to "Boot" and make sure Fast Boot is disabled. Then scroll down and make sure CSM is also disabled. Save changes and reboot
Go back in to the BIOS and go back to the "Boot" tab, scroll down to Boot Option Priorities which is in gray. Below that and to the right it should say "Windows Boot Manager (samsung.....)

See if this helps. I remember that it was a pain to install, but clearing things and starting fresh makes the drive appear. I have even read to reflash your BIOS (1701) as another method, shut down completely, wait 30 seconds and then boot up again in to the BIOS and this sometimes works too

FYI, when the BIOS does finally find the Sammy and you begin the installation of Windows 10, do not use the Samsung NVMe driver. Just use the Microsoft NVMe standard driver as this forum that I hang out found a problem where in the S.M.A.R.T. readings the "Unsafe shutdowns" is increasing when there has never been a shutdown. My system had the Samsung driver and already it says I have had 12 unsafe shutdowns. Even on days when I had no shutdowns it records it as unsafe. I uninstalled the Samsung driver and just running off the standard Microsoft one and I am at 12 since. Others are in the hundreds.
Here is the site looking at this and were providing as much as we find out on this

http://www.win-raid.com/t2041f38-SAMSUNG-PRO-NVMe-SSD-unsafe-shutdowns-NVMe-driver-W-x-unexpected-sh...

FYI and hopes this helps
[Asus ROG Maximus Hero VIII] [Samsung 950 Pro 512GB] [G.Skill 2 x 4GB = 8GB] [Asus PG278Q Monitor] [Asus Stryx 980Ti] [Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit]

N0va
Level 7
Thank you Denaba for your tipps; I will try them out as soon as I can. I send back my Samsung 950 pro and bought a new one which should arrive soon. Apart from my problems with its installation I was not very happy with the distributor; I only got the drive, no manual, warranty information or original Samsung packaging. So even if the old one was not broken I just wanted a product in original packaging from a more respectable distributor; who knows what kind of crap they tried to sell me.

I will reflash my Bios and start over with completly plain bios settings and follow your steps. I think I have not tried to disable "fast boot" so maybe that will help.

N0va
Level 7
Thank you all for your help and input!

I "solved" the problem today. Actually it solved itself. I got my new 950 Pro, flashed my Bios and plugged my new SSD. I keept the GPU and the optical drive connected but disconnected all other USB and SATA devices. The drive was recognized instantly in the BIOS and the Windows installation worked without any problems or further adjustments. So my inital thought was right: the Samsung 950 Pro, which I got first was just broken.

At least from my experience there are no adjustments necessary to install Windows on a Samsung 950 Pro with the Asus Maximus VIII Hero with Bios version 1701. Except a working SSD of course.

Thank you all again and this thread can be closed as far as I am concerned.