cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coil whine, it has to be the mobo causing it...

thecore762
Level 7
Okay guys, here is my dilemma, I went through 4 graphic cards (1080gtx) and they all had coil whine during load. I've tried changing bios options and turn off all the power saving features off and that didn't do it.
I went through 3 PSU's and they all had the same result. EVGA G2, EVGA P2 and Antec 850...all of them had the same exact result.

At this point I have to place the blame on the Maximus Hero VIII mobo...no other answer.
The coil whine comes around the GPU area.

Its annoying because it whines even with Vsync on during games...I game on 1080p 144hz monitor.

Here is the rest of my component

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero VIII
i5-6600k CPU
16GB RAM 2133 HyperX (2x8)
Corsair H100i V2 CPU Cooler
500GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro
240GB OCZ SSD
120 SSD Crucial M4
EVGA 1080 GTX FTW
4 Case fans, 3 front, 1 back, 2 120mm radiator fans.

I don't know guys, I am out of options at this point, I am not sure what else to do.
The coil whine is so bad it comes through the case.

I am past the return policy period for the mobo. The only thing I can think of now is just go with a different motherboard? But damn that may need some time because I've already spent enough...
Plus I doubt ASUS would really be any help with RMA...and I don't think they do advanced RMA for this motherboards.

The coil whine feels its coming at first from the gpu, but its sounds like the noise is coming towards the mobo chipset? Hard to pin point the exact place.
20 REPLIES 20

Manul
Level 7
Maybe it does not depend on motherboard and they (GTX 1080) all have whine, only most people don't hear it but your own ears are physically too sensitive for this frequency?

Have you tried booting the computer without graphics card at all? Just insert your monitor cable in motherboard's HDMI/DisplayPort socket. Maybe play some games on Intel HD Graphics for a test? Maybe you could detect the whine if it comes from the motherboard this way?

Possibly. They were all different brands too.

MSI 1080 GTX Gaming X
Gigabyte Xtreme 1080 GTX
Zotac Amp Extreme
and EVGA 1080 GTX FTW

Anyways, I did follow your advice, but the intergrated g raphics card are garbage and can't really run any games even under low settings. I did not experience any coil whine when testing Counter Strike Source, but was only getting 10-12 fps.

Its really strange that 4 cards all caused coil whine. The MSI actually only had coil whine during benchmarking, not so much during high fps gaming. The other ones had coil whine during gaming sessions and benchmarks....maybe 144hz monitors causing the issue? I don't know...

meankeys
Level 13
Did you try a scaling adjustment?

It typically happens when a high amount of stress is put on the PWM, causing the inductors to vibrate within their housings.
Many companies have begun to combat so-called coil whine with measures that include but are not limited to concrete-core chokes and isolated inductor housings

Another facet is the whining’s presence in higher load scenarios. This means it will typically be apparent in game menus, FurMark, folding and other situations where the card is being asked to run at extremely high framerates or process a large amount of parallel information. Within games themselves (again, provided the title isn’t throwing a ton of frames at the card)
the noise will either be lessened or reduced to a “chugging” sound while multi card setups will accentuate the noise due to their relative ability to boost framerates. We also can’t forget that some people are more susceptible to hearing the higher octave “whining” sound than others.

Honestly before the 1000x series I've never dealt with coil whine gpu ever...so this is new to me.
A bit frustrating when your system revolves around super quiet parts...

I received a 2nd FTW card today and the same coil whine is present. 😞

thecore762 wrote:
I received a 2nd FTW card today and the same coil whine is present. 😞

First you post this:

"I am past the return policy period for the mobo. The only thing I can think of now is just go with a different motherboard? But damn that may need some time because I've already spent enough..".

Then you post this:

"received a 2nd FTW card today and the same coil whine is present".

Then this:

"So, I've tried a different motherboard, same components and coil whine is gone...
This leads me to believe its a bad motherboard. Disappointed atm".

And finally this:

"Just an update, got a 2nd board, same mobo, coil whine is there, I am not sure if the ASUS motherboard acts differently or not..".

Just a simple question. Did you suddenly win the lottery since your first post?

"need some time because I've already spent to much".

And then you received a second FTW 1080?
And 2 more motherboards?
WTF?

By the way. I've used Asus motherboards for over 12 years, and never heard any coll whine from any motherboard. Are you sure the sound is coming from the motherboard? I don't. To me it sounds like fans making the coll whine. CPU and the area around has no moving parts on the motherboard so very unlikely the coll whine is coming from there. Fans make coll whine, waterpumps can make coll whine. And off course GPU fans can make coll whine. And you say that when using onboard GPU no coll whine. That indicates that it has something to with heat and fans spinning faster when using dedicated graphic card. And by that I mean case fans and Waterpump. Even the fans mounted to the rad.

I really don't think it has anything to do with the motherboard.

Vinny1001
Level 9
I can confirm the coil whine is coming from the motherboard. I went through 8 months of swapping ALL parts, using previous working parts, and all sorts of drivers to solve Q code 00, audio issues, and the coil whine.

I used ALL of the same components on two other brands, MSI (Titanium Z170) and the Gigabyte Gaming Z170 boards that never gave any Q code 00 issues, no RAM issues, and no coil whine. They were whisper quiet with the same GPU/hardware.

Each Asus board I swapped through had some form of coil whine.

to test this, just purchase another brand and test the same hardware/GPU especially, and listen for coil whine. Then it would be safe to say if it's the mobo, gpu, or something else.

I experienced it only on the Asus Z170 boards. My old Asus board had 0 issues, so I am disappointed with the new version and the issues that come with it.
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

AKBAAR
Level 9
for me i think the CPU makes the sound when i stress it

ondersma80
Level 7
I have the Maximus VIII Hero Alpha and have no noise at all coming from the board. I disconnected some of my fans to listen while running 3DMark and RealBench and didn't hear anything but my PSU and GPU fan (GTX 1070). I have an older 80 PLUS Gold PSU, are you guys using newer 80+ titanium or platinum PSUs?