cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix GTX 1070 Fans Airflow

amardilo
Level 7
Anyone know if the ASUS Strix GTX 1070 graphics cards fans pull air in or blow them out?

I have a ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING on order and noticed it has two 4 pin fan headers.

I have a spare 3 pin Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 fan and was wondering if I should plug it into the graphics card and if so should I mount it to bottom of my case or to the side panel of my case?

Would it help if I placed a fan at the bottom of my case blowing air onto the graphics card or put it on the side to blow air onto it from there?

My build (still in progress) currently blows air in from the front and blows it out the back (CPU fan pushes air out the top).
7 REPLIES 7

FelixFFM
Level 7
It blows air outwards, it's exhausted into the case, so good airflow is important. My card gets hotter when I have the case open, and stays cooler when it's closed.
Generally, exhaust fans are more effective with this scenario, as long as you have one or two intakes already.

FelixFFM wrote:
It blows air outwards, it's exhausted into the case, so good airflow is important. My card gets hotter when I have the case open, and stays cooler when it's closed.
Generally, exhaust fans are more effective with this scenario, as long as you have one or two intakes already.

Thanks.

The case I have is the Fractal Design Define R5. Would making the side fan (which would pretty much be right next to the card) exhaust air out the case help?

I already 1 have rear exhaust fan as well as 2 fans on the top of the case pushing air out the case and CPU radiator and 3 air intake fans, 2 of them are on the front and the other 1 is on the bottom.

Nate152
Hi armadillo

You'd want the side fan as intake blowing air in, you shouldn't have much of a temp problem with all the fans you have. I'm like you I have 3 intake fans in the front, 2 intake fans at the bottom, 1 side panel fan and 1 exhaust fan at the rear. With this many fans it's probably best to use the motherboard fan headers although connecting your side panel fan to to one of the gpu fan headers might be more convenient.

Being that your fan is 3 pin you won't be able to control it by pwm, it will likely just run at full speed.

I set an aggressive fan curve on my Strix 1070 and max temp under full load is 61c.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi armadillo

You'd want the side fan as intake blowing air in, you shouldn't have much of a temp problem with all the fans you have. I'm like you I have 3 intake fans in the front, 2 intake fans at the bottom, 1 side panel fan and 1 exhaust fan at the rear. With this many fans it's probably best to use the motherboard fan headers although connecting your side panel fan to to one of the gpu fan headers might be more convenient.

Being that your fan is 3 pin you won't be able to control it by pwm, it will likely just run at full speed.

I set an aggressive fan curve on my Strix 1070 and max temp under full load is 61c.

Thanks for the help, my order seems to be getting closer so hopefully I'll have the card soon (and my first full PC build will be complete :D).

The spare fan I have has a max speed of 1000RPM and not that loud (it's the same fans I have in the front of my case and that powered directly into the power supply isn't really noticeable) so hopefully it should be OK even if it's running at full speed.

Does the fan plugged into the 1070 Strix kick in straight away or is it (by default or in OC mode) only set to spin up when the temp hits a certain level?

Hi,

I want to make sure how it actually works because it seems like the fans suck air in, in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3mo01hLgmE

But since FelixFFM said they blow outward... I think I might misunderstand something.

So.... please tell me if the attached picture has the correct airflow, or it's the other way around.

Thanks 🙂

Nate152

Thank you for the quick reply !!

I've been away from PC for like 6+ years (using laptop during that time) and currently planning to build my new PC 🙂