cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Cpu overheat without reasons

Retired
Not applicable
Hi guys,
i left my pc downloading windows updates. When i came back my computer was shut down. I thought the update went fine but when i started my computer, it did one long beep and 4 short beeps. On screen the error message that says missing cpu fan (i have a liquid cooling system and i explicitly told the mobo to ignore the warning) and an overheat warning (94°).
It is impossible that the cpu is at 94 degrees. The liquid cooling is running full speed (corsair h110i Gtx).
What do you suggest to do?

Sorry for my bad english.
14 REPLIES 14

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Are you sure the liquid is moving round the H110....does one of the tubes next to CPU feel warm?

Retired
Not applicable
Suddendly after posting the thread i thought the same. I started unmounting the gpu and the cooling. The cpu is very hot. I am checking the cooler. If i unmount the cpu can i start only the mobo with only the cooling system connected?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Check the cooler very carefully for leaks...check inside the case...the liquid is green but if the leak is slow a white deposit is formed...if this is what has happened.

Sometimes an air bubble might form and block flow.

Sometimes the pump impeller breaks but the motor spins so you get RPM reading but no actual flow.

If you unmount H110 check it and shake it about a bit maybe try it once more for a very short while....check if one of the tubes get warm to the touch near CPU block....sign of liquid but no flow....

I'd pretty much assume the thing has failed though all things being equal 😞

Retired
Not applicable
Cooler works. I started it outside the case. The copper becomes cold and the pump is spinning. I can hear the bubbles but i assume that unmounting the cooler made them. Inside the case or in the gpu i cannot find any trace of leaking. The backplate of my 980 strix is clean, as the cooler.

EDIT: i assume that it was dissipating because when the cpu get hotter, the fans spin faster (this means that the liquid was getting hotter).

EDIT2: when i put my hand on the copper of the cooling system it is cold, but not sub-zero. I mean: it becomes colder.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you can hear bubbles that's the problem....there should be none....if they collect again they will block flow again. Moving the cooler around probably shifted something..

Best get that sent of for RMA..

Retired
Not applicable
Arne Saknussemm wrote:
If you can hear bubbles that's the problem....there should be none....if they collect again they will block flow again. Moving the cooler around probably shifted something..

Best get that sent of for RMA..

It's 10 minutes that it's spinning. Now the bubbles are gone. I can only hear the pump spinning.
It's been 6 months that the system is running without any of this problem. Today I left my pc alone 2 hours and this came up.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I understand but I'd still recommend you send it off...it should be closed loop...no bubbles.

The fact that there is enough air in it now to cause this kind of problem is not good....but of course means it is loosing liquid slowly...leak/evaporation whatever you want to call it

The bubbles might be smashed up small now but might well join up again to form a blockage.

Up to you at the end of the day though...of course.

Maybe someone else will chime in who has had similar or seen similar

🙂

Retired
Not applicable
Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I understand but I'd still recommend you send it off...it should be closed loop...no bubbles.

The fact that there is enough air in it now to cause this kind of problem is not good....but of course means it is loosing liquid slowly...leak/evaporation whatever you want to call it

The bubbles might be smashed up small now but might well join up again to form a blockage.

Up to you at the end of the day though...of course.

Maybe someone else will chime in who has had similar or seen similar

🙂

Is there a way to check the cpu or the motherboard? I mean check if they are damaged or not, or maybe if the high temperature broke something. I can try to reinstall all the components and check if the problem is gone. If it is then the cooler is the problem.
Do you have some tips? Also if i have to do the rma and the cpu or other components were damaged, what have i to do? Thanks a lot!

EDIT: i've found and old usb cable that fits perfectly with my cooler. I can monitor the cooler before the start up and see if it dissipates the heat properly.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The CPU should be OK...it will throttle back when it reaches high temp....but of course high temp is not ideal and especially not for a long time.

Seems like you caught it OK today. There will be no damage to anything like board or memory if nothing leaked from cooling...no problem there.

You can remount and test no problem but personally I would not sleep well.....:o....if you did hear bubbles...and that would be a likely explanation for the original phenomenon....it's just the cooler that needs RMA