cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Formula + Sound Blaster Z Shutdown Freeze??

mijingakure
Level 7
Hello, I have Maximus VIII Ranger with Sound Blaster Z and it's having the famous known shutdown freeze problem, done a lot of research and tried all the solutions and problem doesn't go away, so I am wondering if I return the board and get a Maximus VIII Formula, would it be the same since it's the same chipest and I read some people with Maximus VIII Formula are having shutdown issue as well but they did not mention they have Sound Blaster Z so I don't know if SB Z will cause same problem on M8 Formula too, anyone have M8 Formula and SB Z Card please help and answer thank you very much 🙂
19 REPLIES 19

Nate152
Hello mijingakure

I have the maximus viii formula but I don't have the soundblaster z sound card, SupremeFX 2015 and sonic studio II sound really good.

It could be the sound card causing the freezing, have you tried it without the soundcard?

The only time I experienced my pc not shutting down is when I have an unstable overclock, other than that it's been working great for me.

Try your system at default settings without the sound card.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello mijingakure

I have the maximus viii formula but I don't have the soundblaster z sound card, SupremeFX 2015 and sonic studio II sound really good.

It could be the sound card causing the freezing, have you tried it without the soundcard?

The only time I experienced my pc not shutting down is when I have an unstable overclock, other than that it's been working great for me.

Try your system at default settings without the sound card.

Hi yes I believe its the Sound Blaster Z , it is well known problem, some people have this motherboard and sound blaster z and the computer can shuts down fine without the sound blaster z, but I love this sound card and I dislike the onboard sound card on the mother board, and the shop wouldn't let me refund so since i spent money on this I have to stick with this sound card 😞

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Do you have AI Suite or any of the Intel software (RSTe, MEI, etc...) installed?

I never install AI Suit and RSTe, all I installed are Intel Chipset Driver, MEI, Microsoft.NET Framework 4.5.2 , Intel USB 3.0 Controller, Asmedia USB Controller and the Intel Network Card Driver but its not those causing the problem, I've done 3 different versions of fresh windows 7 install without installing any drivers or anything yet, still cause shutdown freeze, cpu fan , motherboard lights, graphic lights/fan still running, screen stuck at windows is shutting down screen.

Hi

I doubt that changing to the Formula will fix the problem, I have the Hero and could no find a solution either.

After 6 months and endless tests with SB Z and SB ZxR I ended up with the SoundBlasterX G5 which delivers quite good sound compared to SB Z but unfortunately does not reach the ZxR. However the problem is gone as long as no PCI SB card ist installed in my case. It is still a very frustrating bug but I don't think it will ever be resolved. Maybe Creative brings out some new cards in future , then I will test again. I really miss the fantastic sound of the ZxR.

blacklotus83 wrote:
Hi

I doubt that changing to the Formula will fix the problem, I have the Hero and could no find a solution either.

After 6 months and endless tests with SB Z and SB ZxR I ended up with the SoundBlasterX G5 which delivers quite good sound compared to SB Z but unfortunately does not reach the ZxR. However the problem is gone as long as no PCI SB card ist installed in my case. It is still a very frustrating bug but I don't think it will ever be resolved. Maybe Creative brings out some new cards in future , then I will test again. I really miss the fantastic sound of the ZxR.

Hi thanks for the reply, have you tried other brands of PCI sound cards? I wonder if its just Creative's Card or its any PCI cards that will cause the shutdown problem

mijingakure wrote:
Hi thanks for the reply, have you tried other brands of PCI sound cards? I wonder if its just Creative's Card or its any PCI cards that will cause the shutdown problem

Yes I tried also tried Asus Strix Raid Pro and DLX and Phoebus Xonar. With all of them I did not have the shutdown issue. But I was not satisfied with these cards. I had coil whine noises from my GPU on the Line Out of all three Asus cards, and the software is really bad compared to Creative. The shutdown bug is really a SB Z Series with Asus Maximus Z170 boards issue.

blacklotus83 wrote:
Yes I tried also tried Asus Strix Raid Pro and DLX and Phoebus Xonar. With all of them I did not have the shutdown issue. But I was not satisfied with these cards. I had coil whine noises from my GPU on the Line Out of all three Asus cards, and the software is really bad compared to Creative. The shutdown bug is really a SB Z Series with Asus Maximus Z170 boards issue.

Sigh then we are so doomed, 6months and no one can fix this issue, and I love the sound quality and software of Sound Blaster Z 😞

mijingakure wrote:
I never install AI Suit and RSTe, all I installed are Intel Chipset Driver, MEI, Microsoft.NET Framework 4.5.2 , Intel USB 3.0 Controller, Asmedia USB Controller and the Intel Network Card Driver but its not those causing the problem, I've done 3 different versions of fresh windows 7 install without installing any drivers or anything yet, still cause shutdown freeze, cpu fan , motherboard lights, graphic lights/fan still running, screen stuck at windows is shutting down screen.

Correct.

Are you running the latest BIOS for your motherboard? Also please list your complete system specifications including which slot you're using for the sound card.