cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Edition 10 - Memory Issue

Crash55
Level 8
I just built a new PC using this board and used 4 DIMMs. Upon boot though only 3 of the 4 are being found. Slots B1, C1, D1 are all found but not A1.
I reseated the memory and no change. I then swapped the DIMM in Slot D1 with the one in A1 and still nothing is seen in A1.
However the DIMM that was in A1 is now seen in D1.

Memory is GSkill TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB)DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Model F4-3200C14Q-64GTZSW

The LED on the MB for Channel A is not lit up.

I also noticed the LED for PCIe 1 is not lit but the one for PCIe Slot 3 is. I have GPUs in both slots and my monitor is connected to the card in Slot 1

GPU's: GTX 1080 in PCIe slots 1 and 3
HDD: Intel 750 in U2 slot and WD Black in SATA1
21 REPLIES 21

day187
Level 7
The board has dipswitch you can use for RAM lanes so you don't have to take them out to tell which one is faulty, have you checked that they're in the correct position?

My V 10 had problems with the led not working straight out the box i returned and the new one is great, i would do the same unless anybody else can give you any advice

Day

Crash55
Level 8
Also I had one of the SATA ports. My data drive was in Port 2 and suddenly stopped working.
I thought it was due to a software or BIOS change but I undid those and the BIOS wasn't seeing It.
I changed the port it was plugged into and it started working again.

So I think there are issues with the board.

I will double check the switches and try backing off the heat sink screws

Crash55
Level 8
I tried resetting the dip switch for Bank A and no luck.

I could only get to one of the CPU cooler screws and backed it off a half turn.
To get to the other i need to pull off the fan and the only way to put it back on is by removing the GPU.
Also in swapping the modules around I had the cooler off several times and I only snug the screws. So I really don't think they are too tight

I checked in the BIOS and both GPU's are running at x16. However only the LED for slot 3 is lit.
I watched carefully during boot and the LED for slot 1 never lights. The other three briefly come on. So I think there is a problem there as well.

I guess I have to wait for ASUS Support to get back to me so that I can RMA the board.
With the LED and SATA port being bad I think it needs to be swapped even if the memory issue is due to an over tightened cooler.

Crash55
Level 8
I called Asus and they told me to return the board to NewEgg. NewEgg doesn't cross ship so I guess I will be with a board for a while.

My big concern though is that this means that I will need to put all the components into some sort of static bags while I wait.

For the CPU and cooler do you think I should order new thermal paste? This will be the fourth time I have reinstalled the cooler.
Last time the paste was there and covered all but the center - my guess is that was the spot of direct contact.

I really don't like removing the CPU and putting it back in its packaging. Makes me a little nervous

Crash55 wrote:
I called Asus and they told me to return the board to NewEgg. NewEgg doesn't cross ship so I guess I will be with a board for a while.

My big concern though is that this means that I will need to put all the components into some sort of static bags while I wait.

For the CPU and cooler do you think I should order new thermal paste? This will be the fourth time I have reinstalled the cooler.
Last time the paste was there and covered all but the center - my guess is that was the spot of direct contact.

I really don't like removing the CPU and putting it back in its packaging. Makes me a little nervous

If the DIMMs don't map in some channels when you get the new board and pre-test on an open testbed (out of the case), try setting Rampage Tweak Mode 1 in the DRAM timing page of UEFI. If you still have the original board, I would try this before you RMA it.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
If the DIMMs don't map in some channels when you get the new board and pre-test on an open testbed (out of the case), try setting Rampage Tweak Mode 1 in the DRAM timing page of UEFI. If you still have the original board, I would try this before you RMA it.

Why test outside the case? I have plenty of space inside the case and most of my cables are still routed to where they need to be.

I hadn't removed the board yet so I tried setting Rampage Tweak Mode 1 and no change. Channel A showed no data at all.

I tried loosening the heat sink till it was just barely held in place and no change.

Crash55 wrote:
Why test outside the case? I have plenty of space inside the case and most of my cables are still routed to where they need to be.

I hadn't removed the board yet so I tried setting Rampage Tweak Mode 1 and no change. Channel A showed no data at all.

I tried loosening the heat sink till it was just barely held in place and no change.

Always worth trying out of the case. Sometimes, a small amount of pressure on the board can cause this.

Crash55 wrote:

When you install your heatsink, uneven pressure can warp the motherboard. Warping the motherboard prevents the CPU from making contact with all the pins in the socket. So sometimes it fails to pick a certain memory slot.