Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    G751JL to G751JY - Is it worth the upgrade?

    Hello everyone. I currently own the G751JL with basically the same core specs as the JY (excluding the GPU). I would like to hear opinions whether or not the upgrade is really worth it to move from the gtx 965m 2gb to 980m 4gb? Thank you!

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    105
    Posts
    4,126

    Well it wouldn't be worth it to me, If you want to upgrade go for the G752 VY, which would actually be an upgrade with dual M.2 NVME slots, better temps less issues that the G751 all had.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Reputation
    8
    Posts
    513

    Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    Well it wouldn't be worth it to me, If you want to upgrade go for the G752 VY, which would actually be an upgrade with dual M.2 NVME slots, better temps less issues that the G751 all had.
    g751 had issues hmmmm...thats an official statement? i think g752 has not more and not less issues! wich issues u speak from? the temps are very pretty when the pastings are correct...only thing i see is dual nvme.
    whatever ,think what you want, the sound bug isnt gone on 752 thats fact.

  4. #4
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    The G752VY is signifcantly more expensive than the JY so I wasn't really looking towards that one. Personally just want a good performance laptop with a price around $1500. I've seen issues here and there with the g751 series but probably as much as others. If anyone has anymore suggestions, they would be much appreciated. Thank you!

  5. #5
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    38

    I'm very happy I went for G751JY intead of 752... G752JY is not worth the extra price in my opinion, it doesn't even score better on benchmarks with the other CPU that is much more expensive. I've had some annoying problems with my G751JY (mostly sound related), but I found it for an extremely low price, and I don't think G752JY is better on that part. Performance wise the 980M is awesome, but even though the 4720HQ CPU is quite good, it's gets throttled in heavier games with not too good core optimalization/multi threading. Also, the 75hz(overclockable to 100) G-sync IPS screen is incredible!

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    105
    Posts
    4,126

    So you willing to pay $1500 for a slightly better GPU in the same notebook?
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  7. #7
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    38

    As far as I know the only difference is no SSD and 965M on the G751JL... SSD is to me a lifesaver, and the 980M benchmarks over doubled of what 965M is capable of... But yeah it still sounds a bit weird to suddenly buy the same product just better model.

  8. #8
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Taking all opinions into consideration, I believe I'll just wait around for price drops and save more to raise my $1500 budget. I planned on giving my JL to my brother and picking up pretty much any form of an upgrade but perhaps it is best to wait. I appreciate the responses. Thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •