cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Edition 10 "issues"

markscottuk
Level 7
Finished my new build of i7 6950X, Corsair Dominator 128GB PC4-2400, Samsung 950 Pro M2 and Sansung 850 Evo 2TB SSD.

On the whole I am pleased with the performance but have a couple of issues:

Firstly, the time from powering on to getting the POST / WIndows 10 startup can be anything up to 30 seconds, the QCode seems to randomly stop at figures before finally handing off to the bootloader, what can I do to reduce this time?

Secondly, I am a bit confused as to how CSM works. I have a new build and I would have thought that all boot devices would work without CSM and in UEFI mode, but as soon as I turn it off, I get no boot devices.

I am also confused as to how to get the 950 Pro recognised as a GPT device, I was able to convert using the Shift-F10 cmd in the Windows setup but when I did, windows complained that it was not able to boot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Mark
32 REPLIES 32

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
markscottuk wrote:
what can I do to reduce this time?

This platform is complicated so cold boot to desktop is going to take longer than other platforms. The boot time is more than saved encoding video...if you know what I mean.

That said any device you don't use, disable in BIOS...like wifi or bluetooth...

Disable CSM...though I see you have trouble there...not sure what's happened....a uefi install to a clean ssd should have no problem. Maybe clean install format ssd in windows install process.

If you want super quick startup times use some form of sleep...fast start up enabled in Windows...

jrmcdou
Level 10
Computers are also designed to run 24/7 and weekly or monthly reboots depending on your usage is really all that is needed. I just turn off my monitors. There is actually more stress placed on the system by booting and shutting down every day. Also at idle very little power is used so your electricity bill won't be outrageous. I have always run my systems 24/7 and never had an issue.
Rampage VI Extreme bios 1503
Core i9 7980XE @ 4.4ghz all cores
64 gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
2x RTX 2080 Ti FE NvLink/SLI
2x Samsung 970 Pro 1tb NVME
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair 1000D case
1x Dell U3818DW 38" Curved Ultrawide and 2x Dell S2716DG 27" 1ms GSYNC 2560x1440 144 hz
Win 10 Pro x64

jrmcdou wrote:
Computers are also designed to run 24/7 and weekly or monthly reboots depending on your usage is really all that is needed. I just turn off my monitors. There is actually more stress placed on the system by booting and shutting down every day. Also at idle very little power is used so your electricity bill won't be outrageous. I have always run my systems 24/7 and never had an issue.

Do you know where you heard about this? I've been doing nightly shutdowns on my laptop for four years now, and it's been doing alright.
"Assuming kills" - Anonymous

Intel Core i7-5930K | Custom Loop | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
Corsair Dominator SE 4x8GB | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair 900D
Corsair AX1200i | Windows 10 Pro

Chino
Level 15

markscottuk
Level 7
Thanks. I have gone into the UEFI and tried to find settings that would allow me to enable UEFI boot. I have seen the boot options at the bottom of the page but all is listed is as follows (in attachment).

COuld it be that the boot device (Microsoft retail USB key) is not UEFI capable?

yes! when you insert a UEFI capable pendrive it says so in the boot device list!
so first make a UEFI pendrive with windows install files. get a step by step guide in windowscentral or alike... 😉

Make A bootable USB boot drive from a Windows ISO file with Rufus and select MBR Partition scheme for bios or UEFI computers, File system Fat32 and the select the iso file.
Or use the Microsoft windows 10 mediacreationtool that works for sure in Uefi mode.

Make Sure that the Graphics card has UEFI support (GOP Bios) that is needed to completely disable the CSM module, else you have to use Hybrid Uefi

After that Disable the CSM Module in the Bios, reboot and use F8 to Access the quick boot menu there the USB stick should be listed with UEFI before the stick name (example (Uefi Sharkoon 32gb).

One thing you should know about Uefi Boot is it will not list a device (DVD,USB drive,,) when it does not have the necessary bootable files on it.
UEFI firmware supports booting from removable storage devices such as USB flash drives. For that purpose, a removable device needs to be formatted with a FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32 file system,
while a boot loader needs to be stored according to the standard ESP file hierarchy, or by providing a complete path of a boot loader to the system's boot manager

With the old Legacy Bios even without a bootable usb stick or Dvd-rom it will stil be listed in the bios and when accessed it will say that the drive is not bootable,
Uefi will not list the device when it has no data on it, ( so if you have a empty Dvd drive Uefi won't see that drive at all ,
but when you put the Windows Bootdisk in there then it will see the DVD drive and tell you it can boot from it).

Windows 8, 8.1 and windows 10 official Iso's are all UEFI compatible, Winodws 7 i'm not sure but with an NVMe driver from samsung it should be bootable as well

Hivemind wrote:

Windows 8, 8.1 and windows 10 official Iso's are all UEFI compatible, Winodws 7 i'm not sure but with an NVMe driver from samsung it should be bootable as well

Does this means, that i wont be able to install Windows 10 from the Microsoft USB Pen in UEFI?

ivoencarnacao wrote:
Does this means, that i wont be able to install Windows 10 from the Microsoft USB Pen in UEFI?

What he means is that you can install Windows 8, 8.1,10 in UEFI mode without the need to do anything to the ISO. Windows 7, on the other hand, requires you to prepare some files in order to install in UEFI mode. Also Windows 7 only supports UEFI installation on the 64 Bit version.