cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-working fan control on STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING

martinsoerensen
Level 7
I just got this GTX 1060 but the fans seem to be acting very oddly. When it is powered on, they are off as they should be and stay like that until I start a game which heats up the card. Around 55 deg. according to GPU TweakII, the fans go very loud (max?) and stay like that. Even if I close the game and let it sit on the desktop, it stays very loud although the GPU temp goes down below 35 deg.

I have tried setting silent mode in GPU TweakII and turning 0dB mode on and off with no effect. It doesn't seem to follow my fan profile either. It just stays at max level.
If I reboot the machine, the fans go down in speed and it stays quiet until I again start a game which heats up the GPU.
Another curious thing is that in GPU TweakII, the fan speed is always read as 0, even when it is clearly on max speed, so for some reason it is not able to read the speed.

I am using the latest game ready Nvidia driver and ASUS GPU TweakII.

This is clearly unacceptable behaviour and the 0dB mode was one of the key features that made me choose this specific version of the 1060.

Is my card faulty or is this some known software issue?

System specs:
Core i7-6700k
ASUS Z170-A
ASUS PG279Q @ 120 Hz
15 REPLIES 15

Nate152
Hi martinsoerensen,

I'm using the Strix 1070 with a user define fan profile in GPU Tweak II and mine ramps up and down as it should, are you setting your fan speed profile here circled in yellow? Try setting your fan profile a couple times and see if it takes.

Yes, I tried changing that setting and it doesn't have any influence whether I set it to auto or user defined.
The only reaction I get from the GUI is when I disable 0dB mode. Then the fan ramps up to max and stays there until next reboot, no matter what else I do (even if I reenable 0dB mode).

Nate152
All right,

I had the same problem but after setting the fan profile like three times it worked. Try uninstalling GPU Tweak II with the removal too and try installing it again.

You can get the latestet GPU Tweak removal tool below, Asus must not have it up for the Strix 1060 yet but it will be the same removal tool.

Select your operating system then click utilities, it's the second file down on the list.

http://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

So I tried reinstalling it by using the removal tool first. Still the same problem. If I change the fan speed manually and set the lowest possible non-0 value, it ramps up to max. There is no change in the fan speed between 38% and 100% and again it won't go back down to 0% (I tried it many times).

Perhaps the GTX 1060 is not supported by the current version of the software? Even so, I would expect the fan speed to be auto-controlled without requiring any special software being installed, like all my previous graphic cards.

I think that if I don't find a solution very soon, I will ask for my money back and then consider what else to buy.

As you can see from this screenie, it says 0% fan speed although it was very loud and clearly not 0%. Also, the die size etc. is not correct, indicating to me that the GTX 1060 is not properly supported.

Nate152
Hmmm yeah I'm not sure what's happening but you're missing the release date, directx support and yes wrong die size. The fan should still control automatically but temps may be higher than you like, maybe try an older version 1.3.1.2

http://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

hi guys i ahve read your problem
i had the same problem with my GTX 1080 with the fan

when i start my computer with all the Asus software the fan dont start at all.

but when i have download the afterburner software
https://gaming.msi.com/fr/features/afterburner

i just enable the Auto Fan on - in the software
and mark it : start up windows
and your problem will be solved with another softare
but i didnt have to chance to fix this problem via the ASUS software, yet!?

PeteCrook wrote:
hi guys i ahve read your problem
i had the same problem with my GTX 1080 with the fan

but when i have download the afterburner software
https://gaming.msi.com/fr/features/afterburner

i just enable the Auto Fan on - in the software
and mark it : start up windows

I support Pete's suggestion. I have a Strix 1060 and had a ton of problems using GPU Tweak (mostly GPU-Tweak didn't seem to do anything, or coming up with no settings at all).

Uninstalled GPU Tweak, installed MSI Afterburner and the Fan Curves stuck and worked (and besides, Afterburner has better options for the User fan curve, e.g. the update frequency and hysteresis setting).

Markus

Blueflash
Level 7
martinsoerensen wrote:
I just got this GTX 1060 but the fans seem to be acting very oddly. When it is powered on, they are off as they should be and stay like that until I start a game which heats up the card. Around 55 deg. according to GPU TweakII, the fans go very loud (max?) and stay like that. Even if I close the game and let it sit on the desktop, it stays very loud although the GPU temp goes down below 35 deg.

I have the same card but it behaves differently (more or less correct). Without GPU-Tweak installed (or with MSI Afterburner on Auto without user defined fan curve) it will rev up fans slightly (1000rpm) at about 55°C but they will stop again when temp goes down (within seconds, as soon as 54°C).

Markus

I have the same Prblem with my Strix 1080 OC but nether GPU tweak nor Afterburner nothing to the fans. Is there a special way you have to set up Afterburner for it to work?

EDIT:
Found a solution, I plugged in a fan in one of the fan connectors and viola it had a RPM reading and for what ever reason made the GPU fans behave as well. No more Jet planes starging in my PC 😄