cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0d q-code on maximus VIII Gene, failed boot after forced restart.

ChairmanMeow
Level 7
My computer didn't get past POST with code 0d for the second time. Both times I fixed the issue by resetting the power supply (flipping the switch on the back) and everything seems to be back to normal. Prior to this it got stuck in an infinite "Restarting..." screen when I attempted to restart and I had to force shut down, leading to the problem described above. What is the cause of this and should I be worried about a defect?

I have BIOS 1701

Specs:

Maximus VIII Gene
32 GB 2667 Mhz Corsair RAM
Intel 6700k
NVIDIA GTX 980Ti
17 REPLIES 17

Chino
Level 15

Corsair RM750i

What does AMI SEC error even mean? (code 0d) I can solve the issue by clearing the power so I'm really confused as to what the cause or meaning is

Also I can't reliably reproduce the problem so I don't know how much resetting to stock is going to tell me. I have the memory set to XMP in the BIOS and the system is on a 7% overclock (automatically determined in the bios, TPU I)

Nate152
Hi ChairmanMeow,

Since you started two threads I deleted your other one and moved this thread to the maximus viii motherboards section.

If everything is fine now I wouldn't be too concerned but it seems there may be an issue with your psu.

One thing you can try is disabling surge protection in the bios.

AMI SEC = AMI Secure Boot

Ok thanks. It's a very sporadic problem that I can't reproduce. So the problem would not be in the motherboard or the CPU? What does 0d even mean because the user manual is very vague on this.

Also, do you think the infinite Restarting... loop is a related problem, or is it because I force shut down the computer that this happened? (last time I force shut down the computer as well because Fallout 3 froze while running)

Nate152
OD = Reserved for future AMI SEC error codes.

I see your psu is configurable to multi +12v rail or single +12v rail. Install corsair link and see what it's set to and set it to "single +12v rail" if it isn't already.

Ok I'll try it when I get home from work. I'm relatively uneducated with regards to power supplies. How would multi / single rail cause problems in this config?

Nate152
Well that I can't answer and it may have no effect but I prefer a single +12v rail psu as power comes from one source, with a multi rail psu power is split between the rails.

Give us an update after checking with corsair link.

Question: After getting code OD did you get an overclocking failed message when booting up?

Nope. If I just hold the power button to shut down and then reboot it will always just go to blackscreen and code 0D until I flip the switch on the back of the PSU and turn it back on again. Then it just goes as normal. I've submitted a ticket to ASUS tech support but they haven't gotten back to me.

I just read up on single vs multi rail and it seems single rails are less safe because they are less protected against short circuit?

Nate152
After frying my 1000w dual rail psu I will never use a multi rail psu again but this is mainly if you're running multiple gpu's.

Using the power button is not the best way to shut down your pc you should be shutting it down in windows, does it work ok if you shut it down with windows?