cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 1080 Strix OC temps's

asmodyus
Level 10
Just got a new GXT Strix Gaming OC Edition. Have it running in OC Mode and the cards at full load gets 77 to 81C is this nomral?

Also in GPU-Z in OC mode it only shows GPU Clock of 1768 and a Boost of 1907 thought the boost was higher in oc mode
25 REPLIES 25

Nate152
Hello asmodyus

If you look at the GPU Tweak II graph the maximum boost clock is 2063MHz, the voltage and boost clock do fluctuate a little.

Click professional mode at the bottom right and set a fan curve, select "user define" then click the little gear to the right, move the little red boxes to your desired temp and fan speed. I have my Strix 1070 set to when the gpu hits 60c the fan runs at 100% or you can set it to manual and crank the fan up before you play games.

Maximum temp under full load is 61c.

Try this and give an update how much lower your temps are.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello asmodyus

If you look at the GPU Tweak II graph the maximum boost clock is 2063MHz, the voltage and boost clock do fluctuate a little.

Click professional mode at the bottom right and set a fan curve, select "user define" then click the little gear to the right, move the little red boxes to your desired temp and fan speed. I have my Strix 1070 set to when the gpu hits 60c the fan runs at 100% or you can set it to manual and crank the fan up before you play games.

Maximum temp under full load is 61c.

Try this and give an update how much lower your temps are.

Okay currently it hits 80 at 67% Fans speed

Nate152
Thank you

80c is ok but if it gets too much warmer it will downclock itself to compensate the high temperature to prevent damage.

To get temperature lower try setting a more aggressive fan curve or crank the fan to 100% before starting a game.

Give us an update again please. 🙂

asmodyus
Level 10
So full load fan at 100% 71c this seem hotter than is should compared to other people post.

asmodyus wrote:
So full load fan at 100% 71c this seem hotter than is should compared to other people post.

Load temperatures depend a lot on your ambient temperature and the airflow inside your case.

Nate152
If you take notice in your screenshot your gpu is running at 2025MHz shown in red. 🙂

71c is much better, how is airflow in your case, you can crank your case fans up a little too.

asmodyus
Level 10
Yeah I have a Cooler Master COSMOS II with all the fans so I temp pretty good inside. So are does temps okay or should It be less. I talked to Asus and there willing to RMA it but I don't want to mess with that and be out of video card for two weeks if that normal temps. They said it was little on the high side and I could return it so not sure if its worth doing.

asmodyus wrote:
Yeah I have a Cooler Master COSMOS II with all the fans so I temp pretty good inside. So are does temps okay or should It be less. I talked to Asus and there willing to RMA it but I don't want to mess with that and be out of video card for two weeks if that normal temps. They said it was little on the high side and I could return it so not sure if its worth doing.

Do you have any radiator front mounted as intake for CPU cooling? Maybe an "open" designed graphics card isnt what you nedd, maybe in your case(case) a blower style cooler is better? 71C with 100% fan speed isnt acceptable though, but you might get that high temps with bad airflow or front mounted radiator so if thats is your case replacing the card will not help. IF you have a front mounted radiator I suggest you mount it as exhaust in the top instead. This will yield you 5-10C lower temps on your graphics card provided you have ample of intake fans too but your CPU will get about 5C hotter.

edit: 3 weeks ago my card ran about 2C lower, expect higher temps in the middle of summer 😄

asmodyus wrote:

Try testing your PC without the side panel. Alternatively you can also remove everything and test your system on top of the motherboard cardboard box. That way we can remove the case as being a factor since your system will be out in the open air.