cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Documentation of my G751JY power issue and RMA warranty experience

martonlonart
Level 7
I'm starting this thread to share my RMA experience with the Asus Service Center for my G751JY.

My very expensive (as you all know) G751JY started intermittently losing power about a month ago. It would regain power after I'd twist the power cord or just wait awhile. Then, about a week ago, after accidentally jerking the power cord (but not that violently), the laptop wouldn't get power no matter what I tried.

Doing a bit of research online, I concluded the problem must be a broken power jack. I knew it wasn't the power adapter because I had tested it with a multimeter. I ruled out more serious problems like a fried motherboard because my G751JY is less than a year old.

I was dismayed when I read about people's negative experiences with Asus warranty repair service, found through google searches. Thinking the problem was relatively minor and not wanting to risk having a negative experience with the Service Center, I took my laptop to a local repair shop in Virginia Beach. They also said the problem was probably a faulty power jack but couldn't say for sure until they ordered a new power jack and tested it. I paid $65, half the payment for a jack repair, and would pay the other half when done.Taking five days to come in, the new power jack did not solve the problem. The shop called me, saying that I have a short on the motherboard.

At this point (this past Saturday, July 23) I knew I would probably be better off sending my laptop to Asus, even though their track record is not pristine, to say the least, because motherboard repair/replacement would be very expensive. I logged onto Asus live chat and was immediately greeted by a service rep. He assured me that my laptop is under warranty (even though a technician had tried to repair it) and gave me instructions to ship it to the service center in California [seriously, my laptop has to take a two-way cross-country trip to and from the East Coast?]. Online service was quick and friendly; the rep. sent instructions, a checklist (on which I'd have to describe the problem), and a free FedEx shipping label to my email.

On Monday, July 25, I picked up my G751JY from the local repair shop. They did not charge me the other half for power jack replacement. I immediately drove it to the FedEx shipping center and paid $15.90 to pack it in FedEx's laptop specialty box. Although the laptop fit snugly in the cardboard box which has plenty of padding, I am kind of worried that this expensive "specialty box," probably designed to protect smaller laptops (although they apparently have another specialty box for small laptops), won't adequately protect my 8-pound laptop on a cross-country trek.

The package is due to arrive this Monday, the 1st of August, though I hope it is there sooner.

I am documenting this experience live because I am invested in my G751JY which was one of the most advanced and expensive laptops as of last year. It cost me $2,600, and I am not rich!!! No, I had saved up for it, knowing that it would be good for gaming for the next 5 years or so. I expected top quality and durability. It worked fine, satisfying my gaming desires, until it started to lose power. Yes, I was using it a whole lot. Yes, I would use it in bed on top of my blanket. But I would not often move it from place to place. I even bought the special backpack for it.

I hope they fix it properly and in a timely manner.
0 REPLIES 0