cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are my vrm temps too high at stock?

Zarathustraa
Level 7
I have four blocks in my loop. A 5960x, the pch, aquaero 6 xt, and the vrms. After 15 minutes in Aida 64 the vrms hit 50 c at stock voltages. My room temperature is 20 c. Are the temps for the vrms too high for stock with that loop?
19 REPLIES 19

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I have just run the same thing in a room at 27 degrees and the VRM tops at 41 degrees...one fan blowing over stock heatsink.

To be honest the stock heatsink is direct Cu...probably better than any aftermarket heatsink with a thermal pad

I'd check out the mounting...what are CPU temps like....look like you have good flow in loop?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I have just run the same thing in a room at 27 degrees and the VRM tops at 41 degrees...one fan blowing over stock heatsink.

To be honest the stock heatsink is direct Cu...probably better than any aftermarket heatsink with a thermal pad

I'd check out the mounting...what are CPU temps like....look like you have good flow in loop?

1.1 gpm, and cpu temp are between 37 and 47.

kaese
Level 10
It seems a little high to me too. I use a Watercool HEATKILLER® MB-X VRM ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME NI cooler and can hardly reach 40C during stress testing.
However it is the first device in my cooling loop and my water temperatures stay always below 35C - so you might also check your water temperatures.
What is the sequence in your water loop? In general its a good advice to go from devices with lowest power per cooling area (such as RAM or VRMs) to ones with highest power per cooling area (CPU und GPU).

I'll have to check my water temps again. At the most I believe the water hit 35 c. The order of my loop is pch, cpu, fan controller, vrm, then Waterblocks.

Zarathustraa
Level 7
I'll have to check my water temps again. At the most I believe the water hit 35 c. The order of my loop is pch, cpu, fan controller, vrm, then Waterblocks.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you have reasonable flow rate the order of components does not matter at all. The loop as a whole comes to equilibrium with whatever ambient temp. Order would only matter with a horribly low flow rate so forget that.

The CPU temps sound about right...just have to check contact of block with vrm...

Are you at high ambient temperature?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
If you have reasonable flow rate the order of components does not matter at all [...] Order would only matter with a horribly low flow rate so forget that.

Lets have a look at the numbers:
P=c*dV/dt*\rho*\Delta T
where P is the power of the system during stress test and \Delta T the increase of cooling liquid temperature after passing through all water blocks.
\rho is the specific density of the liquid, dV/dt is the volume flow rate, in my case its 50 l/h (what keeps the system silent) and c=3500 J/kgK is the specific heat capacity of the cooling liquid (the specific heat capacity of water is 4187 J/kgK, it is a little lower by ethylene glcyol in the coolant).

Then the increase in temperature is
\Delta T = P / (3500*50/3600)
During a stress test with an overclocked CPU P = 300 W --> \Delta = 6.2 °C
when you add a powerful GPU its P = 550 W --> \Delta = 11.3 °C

Zarathustraa, you have your VRMs cooled at the end of the circuit and 10°C higher temperatures than I do cooling the VRM at the start of the circuit. We can explain 5°C temperature difference already by the sequence of components.
Further the temperature sensors may not be extremely precise and I wouldnt wonder if there is an error in the range of some 3°C.
Still I would reseat / double check the correct fitting of the VRM cooler and the heat conduction pad.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
If you have reasonable flow rate the order of components does not matter at all. The loop as a whole comes to equilibrium with whatever ambient temp. Order would only matter with a horribly low flow rate so forget that.

The CPU temps sound about right...just have to check contact of block with vrm...

Are you at high ambient temperature?

Took the words out of my mouth. The order of components doesn't matter.
Rampage VI Extreme bios 1503
Core i9 7980XE @ 4.4ghz all cores
64 gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
2x RTX 2080 Ti FE NvLink/SLI
2x Samsung 970 Pro 1tb NVME
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair 1000D case
1x Dell U3818DW 38" Curved Ultrawide and 2x Dell S2716DG 27" 1ms GSYNC 2560x1440 144 hz
Win 10 Pro x64

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sorry kaese but you are mistaken in your understanding of the physics for a closed loop.

Honestly we try to help people in as far as we can here. Bad info doesn't help...

The temperature increase through a block or temperature drop through a radiator is negligible at decent flow rate. the explanation here is not the position of the VRM block in the loop. I'd hate for the OP to take that idea anywhere in troubleshooting this.:(