cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Impact: Q-Code 99

Locutis
Level 7
Hey gang,

First build in a few years using a Maximus VIII Impact and getting the Q-Code 99 "Super I/O Initialization". The system does boot to the main BIOS screen but doesn't let me get into enter the BIOS. The keyboard appears to work as I can CTRL+ALT+Delete to restart but does't enter the BIOS when hitting delete or F2. Checked that everything is seated correctly and all fans power on. The unit is not in a case yet, just setup on the tray test bench style. Maybe it's just the keyboard but don't have another to try until tomorrow. Specs below.

Maximus VIII Impact (Shipped with BIOS 1202)
i7 6700k
Corsair H80i GT Watercooler
32 GB Corsair Dominator 3000
EVGA GTX 1070
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD
Corsair SF600 PSU

This is where it stays with the Q Code 99 on the debug LED.

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

jaggerwild
Level 7
Qcode 99 is a corrupted bios, follow the link try a blind bios flash back see if it fixes this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI-zGV8SLho
Asus X79 DELUXE
3930K WATER
2X Intel 520 Raid o
2X GTX 780ti DCII OC WATER
16 GB G skill 2133
Corsiar AX1200
Acer 24" 1080
Swiftech MCP655 Vari
HWlabs 3/120
Asus DVD

BLIND BIOS FLASH LINK http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12749-RIVE-BIOS-FlashBack

Thanks,

Should I do the lastest BIOS or and older one?

i tried the newer one and the older one, right port, right filename, ntfs/fat32 and no success at all
i just wanted to update bios from 1701 to 1902 and this happened to me on gene 😞
whats wrong with 1902? board is already on rma and this sucks a lot, both thumbs down for asus, this is very disappointing and never ever happened to me 😞
i wish u more luck

Nate152
Hi Locutis

Code 99 with display is likely a usb device such as your keyboard as you suspect.

Locutis
Level 7
Thanks guys, I am going to grab a Keyboard from work tomorrow and see if that does anything, one step at a time. X-Rated, sorry for your luck, I know how you feel and when building these things as I assume you know is part the silicone lottery which for me is usually bad luck

Locutis
Level 7
Well, ran home for lunch with a could of standard USB keyboards from work, same issue as the first one. It's almost like the keyboard and mouse aren't registering with the system until after the splash screen. Gonna try flashing the BIOS when I get home from work.

Locutis
Level 7
OK, I'm in the BIOS. I removed the 1070 and using on board HDMI, removed the SSD and have only the keyboard plugged into the 3rd USB slot, the first one above the the Keybot port and the BIOS flash port. I have not flashed the BIOS yet. Going to start adding the other parts back in one at a time. One thing to not, I still couldn't get into the BIOS by Delete or F2 on the splash screen but it did let me go in via F1 when it got to the screen I posted above.

Locutis
Level 7
So it appears to be running as it should with everything plugged back in and I can get into the BIOS at the splash screen now.

Next question for you all. Have the system running for about 45 minutes now sitting in the BIOS. The CPU tops out at 35C at idle and the PCH temp settles in around 56c. Is that too hot for the PCH? The clear wrap is off the heatsinks.

Thanks.