cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G501VW-FI074T upgrde NVIDIA video card?

morpheuz
Level 7
I have a Asus G501VW-FI074T notebook with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M video card built in.

The video performance in a virtual machine is quite bad with 4K resolution compared to FullHD, for instance when dragging a window, even when I tuned performance to the maximum.

• Is it possible to upgrade it to lets say Geforce GTX 980M?
  • If yes, where to buy a compatible video card for my notebook?
  • Can I do it myself, replacing the video card?
3 REPLIES 3

Clintlgm
Level 14
I think if you need a stronger video card you'll need to sell the notebook you have and buy one with the hardware you require. Pretty sure Asus is soldering the GPU and CPU's to the mother boards now days.

If it is possible here is a link to some 980m for sale
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

JustinThyme
Level 13
Sorry Brother but even in the models that have replaceable cards none of them can be upgraded enough to meet minimum VR specs. 960M isnt even close. 980M tweaked out meets the requirements, not tweaked out its marginal. Anything less than 980M simply wont cut the mustard.

If you want to run VR you are going to need to pony up with the $$ and get a new machine.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I am not looking for VR capability, but it seems that for 4K displays a stronger video card is required than Geforce 960m.

The link to the 980m selling is much too expensive.

Was on holiday, which is why I reply late.

Isn't there someone who already did this upgrade? It should be possible, it is no Mac after all.