cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gene and 32GB memory - feedback needed

gtinut
Level 7
Hello all,
I just purchased new mb and this time it is GENE to replace aged HTPC.
I am still in process of updating FW and adding better hardware to it like quieter cooler.
i5-6600K, M2. 950 PRO, WIN10 PRO
Currently has only 8G of RAM but want 32G but not sure which memory to get.
Option 1: 2x 16GB sticks 2666 or 2800 - Patriot Viper 4
Option 2: 4x 8GB sticks -same speed as above.
You may ask why so much memory, trying to future proof this machine and will be running VM.
6 REPLIES 6

Chino
Level 15
Grab the 2x16GB kit. I had the chance to test a Kingston Savage 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 kit on the Maximus VIII Impact and it was awesome. Even managed to overclock it to 3200MHz just by raising the voltage.

Chino wrote:
Grab the 2x16GB kit. I had the chance to test a Kingston Savage 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 kit on the Maximus VIII Impact and it was awesome. Even managed to overclock it to 3200MHz just by raising the voltage.

wow so insane clocks on such small motherboard! ImpactVIII ftw!

I currently use G.skill 32GB (16x2) @ 3200Mhz 14CL . Teach me how to Overclock Rams am so noob at it.

Nate152
Hi gtinut,

Welcome to the ROG forum.

I'm with going with the two stick ram kit too it will put less strain on the cpu's imc.

AKBAAR - You have one of the fastest 3200MHz kits with 14CL.

Here's the thing with ram overclocking, once you start having to loosen the timings you're really not gaining anything. To me the best performance increase would be to see how far you can get the frequency without loosening the timings.

If you want to try it on the extreme tweaker tab set:

1) AI overclock tuner to XMP or manual if you set your ram manually.
2) Dram voltage - 1.50v
3) VCCIO voltage - 1.25v
4) CPU System Agent voltage - 1.25v

Then slowly increase the Dram Frequency and see how far you can get. You can choose the frequency with the Dram frequency or I would do it by slowly raising the BCLK as its more incremental.

In all honesty you won't notice much of a performance increase if any overclocking your ram, all the extra voltage doesn't make it worth it for every day use but would be fun to test.

I would say anything beyond 100MHz is good, if you try this let us know what you get, I don't think gtinut would mind. 🙂

Nate152 wrote:
Hi gtinut,

Welcome to the ROG forum.

I'm with going with the two stick ram kit too it will put less strain on the cpu's imc.

AKBAAR - You have one of the fastest 3200MHz kits with 14CL.

Here's the thing with ram overclocking, once you start having to loosen the timings you're really not gaining anything. To me the best performance increase would be to see how far you can get the frequency without loosening the timings.

If you want to try it on the extreme tweaker tab set:

1) AI overclock tuner to XMP or manual if you set your ram manually.
2) Dram voltage - 1.50v
3) VCCIO voltage - 1.25v
4) CPU System Agent voltage - 1.25v

Then slowly increase the Dram Frequency and see how far you can get. You can choose the frequency with the Dram frequency or I would do it by slowly raising the BCLK as its more incremental.

In all honesty you won't notice much of a performance increase if any overclocking your ram, all the extra voltage doesn't make it worth it for every day use but would be fun to test.

I would say anything beyond 100MHz is good, if you try this let us know what you get, I don't think gtinut would mind. 🙂

awesome thanks i luv this! going to try it out

went with G.Skill Trident Z 3000 c14.

gtinut wrote:
went with G.Skill Trident Z 3000 c14.

nice congrats man, go for 3200mhz and your gona be the man!

I tried Nate152 advice I managed to go for 3400 Mhz from 3200 Mhz. although am getting wierd hickups from time to time, but i cant pin point the problem is its the ram or the cpu