cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g75 hard drive carriage compatibile with G751JY-VS71(WX)?

MeteoricDragon
Level 7
I'm new to the prospect of M.2 form factors in laptops

I'm planning to buy:

• G751JY-VS71(WX)
  • Samsung 1TB 850 Evo 2.5" SATA III SSD.

and then

• Put the SSD in
  • Start up computer for first time
  • Install Macrium Reflect
  • Clone the HDD to the SSD.
  • Remove HDD and store away

And then just use the laptop normally.

My question is: is my G75 hard drive carriage compatible with the G751?. whereas I could take the carriage out of my G75, temporarily put it in my new G751 to hold the SSD while cloning the HDD TO SSD?
17 REPLIES 17

JustinThyme
Level 13
if its the slim form fator 9.5mm it should work but I don't understand why you would do this. First and foremost before you jump off the cliff not every G751JY that did not come with the M2 drive installed, particularly the WX stripped down versions, will even have the M2 connector on the MOBO. You will be able to see where it goes but the spot will be void of a connector. So make sure you know 100% that its even capable.
Two, That is not a SATA M2 slot, its PCIe but NOT NVMe. You will need to get something comparable to the Samsung SM951 AHCI drive. The choices are limited.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-512GB-AHCI-MZHPV512HDGL-00000/dp/B00VELDBJ6
Make sure the first 4 letters are MZHP as a MZVP is NVMe and will NOT work.

If you just want to use a SATA III 850 EVO in the primary slot you dont need to worry about M2 at all. But why cheat yourself out of 5x the speed that M2 has over SATAIII?

So if you just want to put what you said above in no need for a carriage, just put the SSD on the right side, clone the HDD to it (ALL PARTITIONS!!!) When its done pull out the old one and put the SSD in its place and reboot, done. If you are installing a Samsung consumer version drive the Samsung data migration tool works better at cloning than just about anything Ive tried and is MUCH faster. Only caveat is it only works when cloning to a Samsung drive.
Also be aware that ASUS pulled a crappy joke on folks, the Secondary drive bay is sata II as is the optical bay.

If it were me Id make sure the machine can take a M2, get the SM951 linked above, install macrium reflect a shut down the machine, open up the service bay, move the primary drive to the secondary, side. Install the new M2 SSD in its place on the left, reboot where you will mostly likely get prompted right to bios to select the drive as it has moved. Then once booted install Intel IRST drivers from the intel website for the M2 drive. Then clone your spinner to the SSD. Shut down, remove spinner, reboot, select new drive as boot device if necessary, done.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
if its the slim form fator 9.5mm it should work but I don't understand why you would do this. First and foremost before you jump off the cliff not every G751JY that did not come with the M2 drive installed, particularly the WX stripped down versions, will even have the M2 connector on the MOBO. You will be able to see where it goes but the spot will be void of a connector. So make sure you know 100% that its even capable.
Two, That is not a SATA M2 slot, its PCIe but NOT NVMe. You will need to get something comparable to the Samsung SM951 AHCI drive. The choices are limited.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-512GB-AHCI-MZHPV512HDGL-00000/dp/B00VELDBJ6
Make sure the first 4 letters are MZHP as a MZVP is NVMe and will NOT work.

If you just want to use a SATA III 850 EVO in the primary slot you dont need to worry about M2 at all. But why cheat yourself out of 5x the speed that M2 has over SATAIII?

So if you just want to put what you said above in no need for a carriage, just put the SSD on the right side, clone the HDD to it (ALL PARTITIONS!!!) When its done pull out the old one and put the SSD in its place and reboot, done. If you are installing a Samsung consumer version drive the Samsung data migration tool works better at cloning than just about anything Ive tried and is MUCH faster. Only caveat is it only works when cloning to a Samsung drive.
Also be aware that ASUS pulled a crappy joke on folks, the Secondary drive bay is sata II as is the optical bay.

If it were me Id make sure the machine can take a M2, get the SM951 linked above, install macrium reflect a shut down the machine, open up the service bay, move the primary drive to the secondary, side. Install the new M2 SSD in its place on the left, reboot where you will mostly likely get prompted right to bios to select the drive as it has moved. Then once booted install Intel IRST drivers from the intel website for the M2 drive. Then clone your spinner to the SSD. Shut down, remove spinner, reboot, select new drive as boot device if necessary, done.

The reason I'm choosing the G751 with the 850 EVO is for a good deal. It's tax free weekend here in Tennessee, which means I won't get charged 10% sales Tax as long as the price of each item is under $1500. Other models with M.2 Form seem to have less superior graphics cards. such as G752VT-DH72 which has 3GB GTX 970m which also costs over 1500, meaning tax gets charged.

The only other advantage I see with using the Sata III 850 EVO is more space than the 128GB SM951, and it's around the same price.

that IS a crappy joke, and it's not funny 😞 ! Thanks for letting me know.

Is the Primary slot is the slot that has the HDD in it when I first open it up, and not the side that may/may not have the M2 connection?

Just to make sure my sense of orientation is correct, when you say the right side, You are referring to the right side when the laptop screen is folded down and the computer bottom side up?, or the right side when the laptop screen is up and keyboard is facing up? I'm guessing the former is more likely but I want to be sure.

I'll try out Samsung data migration tool as per your advice.

JustinThyme
Level 13
The primary side where the M2 slot would be if you have one would be on the left as you are looking at bottom up with the service cover removed.

In this borrowed image the Yellow image shows the M2, Red shows the SATA III. the other side is SATA II.

A lot of folks put an M2 in, nothing says you have to use a 128GB, 512 GB SM951s are readily available. As far as space is concerned a lot of people put the M2 in, remove the 850 Pro from the case and mount it on top of the M2. In my opinion no amount of space is going to make up for the difference in speed.
spinner, 100MB/s for 7200 rpm drive
SATA III SSD 500MB/s
M2 PCIe AHCI up to 2500MB/s

Me I have a G752VY with 2 512GB M2 NVMe 950 pros in raid 0 and a 1TB SATA III 850 evo.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
The primary side where the M2 slot would be if you have one would be on the left as you are looking at bottom up with the service cover removed.

In this borrowed image the Yellow image shows the M2, Red shows the SATA III. the other side is SATA II.

A lot of folks put an M2 in, nothing says you have to use a 128GB, 512 GB SM951s are readily available. As far as space is concerned a lot of people put the M2 in, remove the 850 Pro from the case and mount it on top of the M2. In my opinion no amount of space is going to make up for the difference in speed.
spinner, 100MB/s for 7200 rpm drive
SATA III SSD 500MB/s
M2 PCIe AHCI up to 2500MB/s

Me I have a G752VY with 2 512GB M2 NVMe 950 pros in raid 0 and a 1TB SATA III 850 evo.

If I have a SM951 on left side and HDD on the right side, Will I have 2 drive letters (C:/ and D:/) and thus need to decide what is stored in the SSD and what isn't? Or is it one volume (C:/) that automatically puts more often accessed data in the SSD? If so, I could see using a 512 GB SM951 with 1TB HDD instead of the 1TB 850 EVO.

JustinThyme wrote:

As far as space is concerned a lot of people put the M2 in, remove the 850 Pro from the case and mount it on top of the M2.

It doesn't look like there's room for an m.2 to fit on top of a 2.5" drive if the 2.5" is installed on the left side. If there's room, that means I could actually have 3 drives installed(if i wanted to)? 1 in M2, 1 in Sata III, 1 in Sata II?

JustinThyme wrote:
They will be separate drives. Mine is set up with programs and things that need accessed with higher speed on the primary and media on the other drive.

You've sold me on getting the SM951 if there's an M2 slot in the G751JY-VS71(WX), But I'm dying to know if the slot is there. If I can find out today, I can order the SM951 512GB Tax free.

Google image searches are just showing pictures of the G751JY.

EDIT UPDATE:

I just found this article. http://techforpennies.com/asus-rog-g751jy-vs71wx-gaming-laptop-review/

it mentioned there is a sata III drive but said nothing about M.2. SO I'm guessing that the m2 is not there. I'm guessing that this laptop will be much faster still than my G75vw with GTX 670m 3GB right? 🙂 I may even be able to play youtube videos!

JustinThyme
Level 13
They will be separate drives. Mine is set up with programs and things that need accessed with higher speed on the primary and media on the other drive.

JustinThyme
Level 13
As for both on the left side some have removed the SATA III drive from its case and go it in there with modifications. Others got a sata III extension cable and connected it on the left side then ran the cable over to the drive on the right side. That review you listed is a test of just how it came. Like I said before that WX is a stripped down model with a spinner HDD and DVD instead of bluray.

JustinThyme wrote:
Like I said before that WX is a stripped down model with a spinner HDD and DVD instead of bluray.

Is there a reference guide to the model numbers on the laptops? I have to guess what jy means, wx means, etc.

Fortunately, I have a blu-ray drive I bought for my g75vw. I'll swap out the blu-ray for the original. and put the blu-ray in the g751jy. The samsung evo 840 SSD in my G75vw has 9 terrabytes written (which is considered quite used i think?), so I can't see putting it in the new laptop, even though i have the original HDD it came with. The more that the SSD has been written to, the more it slows down, right?

By the way, Is there a way to wrap text in the forum post editor? mine keeps running off the edge of the screen and scrolling sideways.

Yes the naming themes are confusing, the best thing to do is look on Asus Site there you will see what Asus puts in each JY JT JL or WX, the letters after that are vendor specific they usualy take out stuff and put in cheaper stuff to make there versions look cheaper than each others. When you buy you should get exact spec's of the actual unit you are buying. The WX seem to be the most stripped down models that Asus Sells also the GLXXX models seem to be cheaper versions of the G XXX series

9 TB is very little of the lifetime of a SSD remember you can buy a EVO 1 TB SSD, I would have thought you would have written a lot more to that drive in a G75

The running off the edge is not a common problem, I think you should look to your Browser for the error. At least mine wraps at the edge as it should
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro