cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual problem

Randolla
Level 7
Greetings all!

I have an unusual problem. This issue has occurred since I built my rig. Originally I thought that I had a bad overclock but it still occurs in the most basic of settings.

Here is what happens:

I like to have my machine go to sleep so it is easy to wake up. This problem only occurs when it is in sleep mode or when it goes into sleep mode. It never happens when I am using the computer for web surfing or gaming.

What happens is this: The rig just goes dead. It still has the ROG LED lit but the power button is no longer blinking like is does when it is in normal sleep mode. When I press the power button, it will start but then shut down after a few seconds. It will continue to loop like this. I have to clear the CMOS to get it into the BIOS. I am getting a 6F code which is a " System Agent DXE initialization (System Agent module specific)" according to the manual. I have no idea what this means.

Once I get into the BIOS, I t will start once I choose the same settings that it had before this problem occurs. In other words, it doesn't matter what overclock or basic stings I choose, it will start until it happens again. Sometimes it won't happen for days and other times it will happen right away once the rig sleeps. When I get it restarted, I am brought back to the same place I left the machine when it went to sleep which leads me to believe that it is NOT an PSU issue.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanking you all in advance

Intel 5930K @ stock
ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme Motherboard
2-EVGA GeForce Titan X SC SLI
Case Labs Merlin Full Tower case
NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid CPU cooler
32 Gbs G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2666
EVGA Supernova P1200 PSU
Acer Predator X34 Monitor
Samsung 512 Gb XP941 M2 SSD
HT Omega eClaro Soundcard[/font
5930K @4.5
ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme X99
16 Gbs Corsair Dominator 2666Mhz RAM
Two, EVGA Nvidia Titan X's in SLI
Samsung XP941 M2 512 Gb M2 boot drive
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU
Case Labs Merlin Full Tower
NZXT Kraken X61 AiO CPU cooler with four 140mm Noctura Industrial fans
Overlord Tempest O27X Monitor @ 118 Hz
3 REPLIES 3

ftjacques
Level 7
In older BIOS versions of this motherboard, I sometimes had to completely power down the pc before it would boot again.

By that I mean switching off my power supply, and waiting ~1 minute so the capacitors fully discharge on the motherboard (even after you shutdown the power supply, you'll still see lighting for awhile on the motherboard, until it's fully discharged).

Have you tried this instead of a full CMOS reset? While not being a "solution" to the problem you specified, it would be less frustrating than re-configuring the BIOS each time...

Also, in order to help others here come up with a possible solution, what is your current BIOS version with which the problem occurs? (Newer BIOSes really improved boot up problems, I don't personally use sleep mode, but it might also have been improved at the same time)

ftjacques wrote:
In older BIOS versions of this motherboard, I sometimes had to completely power down the pc before it would boot again.

By that I mean switching off my power supply, and waiting ~1 minute so the capacitors fully discharge on the motherboard (even after you shutdown the power supply, you'll still see lighting for awhile on the motherboard, until it's fully discharged).

Have you tried this instead of a full CMOS reset? While not being a "solution" to the problem you specified, it would be less frustrating than re-configuring the BIOS each time...

Also, in order to help others here come up with a possible solution, what is your current BIOS version with which the problem occurs? (Newer BIOSes really improved boot up problems, I don't personally use sleep mode, but it might also have been improved at the same time)

It has happened with every BIOS I have had. Currently on 2101.
5930K @4.5
ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme X99
16 Gbs Corsair Dominator 2666Mhz RAM
Two, EVGA Nvidia Titan X's in SLI
Samsung XP941 M2 512 Gb M2 boot drive
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU
Case Labs Merlin Full Tower
NZXT Kraken X61 AiO CPU cooler with four 140mm Noctura Industrial fans
Overlord Tempest O27X Monitor @ 118 Hz

I have the 5820 processor and am on Bios 2001 as it's the only stable version I've found since first building my system ~6 mos. ago so this may not be relevant. I went through a long period of same problems associated with waking from sleep and finally gave up and disabled all sleep options in power setup. I also found that the system would not even boot from a restart or cold start unless I turned off the ups or unplugged the power supply. I discovered a fix eventually by unplugging my (charging) Garmin watch that was tethered to the USB when I shut down the system - the mb does not seem to like anything drawing current (even through
keyboard) in a USB port other than something benign like the Logitech Bluetooth keyboard antenna. Good luck!