cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system issues, restarting problems

mirkoj
Level 7
Hello,
I'm finally turning to help here as I'm out of ideas.
I've built an high end system for 3d aniamtion and rendering, and it is one of my 4 working systems.
But problem is even with being most expensive one it is giving me a lot of problems, more then all others combined.
2 biggest issues are:
- RAM is detected as only being 2100Mhz both on auto and XMP profiles even being 2666MHz
- System reboots itself randomly, but mostly under heavy load. Heavy load being GPU rendering with all GPUs and there is some push on CPU as well at same time.

Now to cover system specs:
asus rampage v extreme (not 3.1 version, older one)
5960x with Corsair h110i cooler
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666MHz, 2 kits of 32GB (4x8 sticks) total of 64GB RAM
4x Asus Titan X and 3x Asus PA328Q monitors
Corsair AX1500i power supply
Samsung 850 pro 512GB SSD
all in Corsair 900D case, all fans replaced with noctua fans.

So far there has bin couple BIOS versions.. I've bin updating all of them, no changes in behavior and restarting.
Also tried from default optimal BIOS settings, to gaming 8core CPU profile, to auto tunes with AI suite 3. Also no effect on both rebooting and ram speed detection.
Windows 10 OS is reinstalled fresh couple times also no effect on rebooting.

So I'm out of option... thinking either issues with having 2 kits of RAM instead of one 64GB kit, or CPU that is not so good batch or something.
Also to add that rebooting happens much more as OC increased. So far 4.4 was never stable at all, 4.2 was staying for couple days before having OC failed BIOS version.

Anyway to speed things up,I'm trying to figure out what the hell is going on here on one side and for any help to try and tweak my system to be as best performing as possible.
I've pushed ton of money n it and I really hope that it will perform stable and realistically fast.

Thank you for all ideas and help.
7 REPLIES 7

NemesisChild
Level 12
It is not advisable to run multiple memory kits, even if they are the same make & model.
Test system stability with just one 4x8GB kit only.

Let me get this straight, you're running three Titans on a single AX1500i?

If it reboots under load or high stress situations, then I would zero in on the PSU.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Nate152
Hello mirkoj

Even though 64GB is likely not plug and play and you mixed ram kits you still might get lucky and get them to work by raising a few voltages. An unstable system can cause what's happening and I imagine it's something with XMP and mixing two kits.

Try setting your ram manually instead of using XMP and try raising these voltages.

1) Dram voltage - 1.40v
2) CPU VCCIO voltage 1.20v - 1.25v
3) CPU System Agent voltage 1.20v - 1.25v

You can try Maximus Tweak Mode 1 in Dram Timing Control.

If this doesn't help it could be the two kits don't want to get along or it could be your cpu overclock, then you'll want to try with a 32GB kit at stock/default settings.

mirkoj
Level 7
@NemesisChild
actually there are 4 titans, but PSU I don't think it is issue, I'm monitoring both PSU over software and from the wall it goes max up to 1200 W from the wall and everything in PSU software seems fine.
Still I can't rule it out.. maybe to pull out two titans and see how it behaves but 1500W PSU should be more then enough for 4 GPU system.

@Nate152
yea I somehow feel that ram could be issue not sure but I guess easiest way to test is to pull out sticks and see with single kit.
I didn't need 64 GB at first so later when I started hitting limits I had to upgrade.. didn't make much sense to buy another 64 GB kit and keep this 32GB expensive kit in drawer.

One more interesting thing. One of my other systems is another asus rampage V extreme 3.1 version and also 2 kits of 43 GB ram,some fury hyper x Kingston stuff.
And there are no restarting issues and also windows and bios recognize it;s speed as 2666 without problem.
Maybe I can go and replace RAM;s between these two see how it goes.

mirkoj wrote:
@NemesisChild
actually there are 4 titans, but PSU I don't think it is issue, I'm monitoring both PSU over software and from the wall it goes max up to 1200 W from the wall and everything in PSU software seems fine.
Still I can't rule it out.. maybe to pull out two titans and see how it behaves but 1500W PSU should be more then enough for 4 GPU system.

@Nate152
yea I somehow feel that ram could be issue not sure but I guess easiest way to test is to pull out sticks and see with single kit.
I didn't need 64 GB at first so later when I started hitting limits I had to upgrade.. didn't make much sense to buy another 64 GB kit and keep this 32GB expensive kit in drawer.

One more interesting thing. One of my other systems is another asus rampage V extreme 3.1 version and also 2 kits of 43 GB ram,some fury hyper x Kingston stuff.
And there are no restarting issues and also windows and bios recognize it;s speed as 2666 without problem.
Maybe I can go and replace RAM;s between these two see how it goes.

Software monitoring is not reliable, the only way to get true readings is with a voltmeter.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Chino
Level 15
For the best result, grab a single memory kit with the capacity you desire. To avoid manual tweaking, get a 2400MHz memory kit.

I've used both the Fury and Savage lines from HyperX on my X99 systems and none of them has presented any problems. So I can definatly recommend you grab a kit from them. 🙂

mirkoj
Level 7
actually I'm doing reading with meter on the wall, you plug that into socket and then plug PSU or whatever to it so those are reliable 🙂

also after further inspection, more detailed one, here are new things.

even tho both Corsair Dom Plat kits got identical product number or whatever I see now that their timing is slightly different
1st kit have 15-17-17-35
2nd kit have 16-18-18-35

But even after removing 1 kit leaving only single one and setting up XMP profile in bios it is STILL reported as 2133MHz in BIOS and in windows.
So.. even single kit is not as it should be?

So next step I've cramped in there hiperx fury also 2 kits that I had in another computer and was correctly reporting all the time and see how it goes...

First got in 1 HyperX fury kit then another one then both.
They both have same timing ie 15-17-17-35, both are reported in windows task manager->perofrmance as 2667MHz, sepparetely and when together.

On the other side.
Corsair Dominator Platinum kits have difernt timings and none of them is reported iin windows as 2666MHz.

Sooo.. any ideas around? Any way maybe to push both at manual timing to both have 15-17-17-18 maybe that would work?
I'm really not into buying another kit of 64GB and having two pricey kits sitting in my drawer 😞

So for now two kits from hyperx fury 2666 works fine all detected and good.
Those are like half the price of dominators and still .. heheh
Now need to figure out what to do with those corsair kits.. will push them to my other system and see how it works there, taht one is not under so big stress right now
And will look and see if this main system is working fine for couple days testing.