cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move from RVE to RV E10??

mdzcpa
Level 12
This is a question for those of you here that originally had a RVE and then moved to the Edition 10. I was wondering about the experiences of those that made the swap. What do you feel the upgrade provided you? Were there any drawbacks?

You can see my current build below in my signature. To be clear, I have no intention of changing my CPU. My current 5960X rocks along at 4.5Ghz without needing a ton of volts, so I'm not going to give this sample up. It's golden for a cool running lower voltage 24/7 rig. I'd also add that my current system is rock stable. I game and work on the system 24/7 and it's incredibly solid. I'm wondering if I'm asking for trouble just making a swap cause I want to play with new stuff 😉

Thanks for your opinions.
12 REPLIES 12

jrmcdou
Level 10
My RVE was buggy so that was the main reason for me to upgrade. I also make use of the new features and like the looks a lot better. I'm tired of the red and black and wanted a green and black theme to go with my Nvidia cards. The LEDs make it look great in that regard. I also wanted the latest and greatest for Broadwell.

If yours is running solid and you are happy with it then don't bother upgrading unless you want those new features. You can also compare product pages. They give you all the detailed changes in the new board.
Rampage VI Extreme bios 1503
Core i9 7980XE @ 4.4ghz all cores
64 gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
2x RTX 2080 Ti FE NvLink/SLI
2x Samsung 970 Pro 1tb NVME
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair 1000D case
1x Dell U3818DW 38" Curved Ultrawide and 2x Dell S2716DG 27" 1ms GSYNC 2560x1440 144 hz
Win 10 Pro x64

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi mdzcpa!

I have just made this switch. I too have a great 5960X....in the grand scheme of things probably no overwhelming reason to upgrade...but the new board is very nice...and any slight weakness to upgrade urges can easily be triggered by this board.

My CPU and cache...oc to the exact same level on the new board. However it seems the RAM can tighten up at slightly lower voltage...at least for me....a nice bonus. It looks great!

Some other small refinements like usb 3.1 and some upgraded headers...RAM chanel switches...just slightly refined feel to it....

🙂

What did it bring me? One word: stability

mikeblunt2020 wrote:
What did it bring me? One word: stability

Stability just means your clocks are too low. :cool:

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi mdzcpa!

I have just made this switch. I too have a great 5960X....in the grand scheme of things probably no overwhelming reason to upgrade...but the new board is very nice...and any slight weakness to upgrade urges can easily be triggered by this board.

My CPU and cache...oc to the exact same level on the new board. However it seems the RAM can tighten up at slightly lower voltage...at least for me....a nice bonus. It looks great!

Some other small refinements like usb 3.1 and some upgraded headers...RAM chanel switches...just slightly refined feel to it....

🙂

So you liked the move...

Memory really runs better???

:cool:
Asus x670e Hero, 7950x, TG 7000, Master 4090, 970 PRO, 860 EVO, Intel 750,
SN850, SN750, 840 Pro, 2xSkyhawk 4TB, Pioneer S12U
EVGA T2 1600, Silverstone TJ11, Custom LC, Acer Predator x35, Philips OLED

Chino
Level 15
Yes, the R5E was an amazing motherboard. But the R5E10 just blows it out of the water. I'm having a lot of fun with the R5E10.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah..liked the move a lot...

Looks has a lot to do with it but other little things too...

The RAM runs better no doubt...not sure if the new T topology or what..i needed small offset 0.1 or 0.05 for SA volts and on this board i need nothing even for 3200 cas 13

I have also significantly reined in secondary and tertiary timings...

I said this to Menthol the other day....my notes are a bit messy from my ram tweaking on rve so maybe some timings i already tried...but quite a few i know have dropped on this board and remained rock stsble whereas on the other gave qcode merry-go-round

vmanuelgm
Level 11
Thanks Arne...

I am now more conviced to step up...

😉
Asus x670e Hero, 7950x, TG 7000, Master 4090, 970 PRO, 860 EVO, Intel 750,
SN850, SN750, 840 Pro, 2xSkyhawk 4TB, Pioneer S12U
EVGA T2 1600, Silverstone TJ11, Custom LC, Acer Predator x35, Philips OLED

Zarathustraa
Level 7
Just wish it had a waterblock built in, like Asus's Skylake board.