Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Aura sync?

  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Aura sync?

    I have a maximus viii formula motherboard and a Strix 1080 graphics card.
    There is one aura app for the motherboard and another aura app for the graphics card.
    Is there no way to sync them?

    thanks
    bart

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Ex-employee Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Reputation
    108
    Posts
    2,154

    Unfortunately the new software that allows synchronization between motherboard and graphics card is only available for X99 refresh or later boards so will not work with Z170 or older boards.

  4. #4
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    35

    Quote Originally Posted by Bahz View Post
    Unfortunately the new software that allows synchronization between motherboard and graphics card is only available for X99 refresh or later boards so will not work with Z170 or older boards.

    Come on guys...this is Asus' best effort ? Once they can't switch off led lights of the m/b when pc is off and once they can't sync their own
    products' lighting?
    People pay almost 1000$ for their top of line mb and gpu. Many x99 mbs are cheaper than maximus viii formula for.example!!
    I hope it 's just a matter of.an.update which is going to.happen soon!

  5. #5
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Reputation
    161
    Posts
    7,454

    It's limited by hardware AFAIK. There were some fundamental changes on the X99 refresh boards that allow standby control. Its an evolutionary process, so there are gen on gen improvements that don't lend to backwards compatibility. Consumers always want as much as they can get and think what they bought yesterday or was designed a year ago is still the latest and greatest. It isn't. Thats how the industry works, and no doubt always will.


    "but that's not fair!"

    "who said anything was fair?"

    Don't mind me, I'm just a grumpy fart.

  6. #6
    Ex-employee Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Reputation
    108
    Posts
    2,154

    Just as Raja mentioned, when the M8F was released it was never intended that this first generation of AURA could sync with other ROG products with AURA so that's why it was never advertised. One good news for those that have the Z170 Pro Gaming Aura which was released just last month (after X99 refresh) is using the second generation of AURA technology so that will be the only Z170 board that will have synchronization support with other ROG AURA products.

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Bahz View Post
    Just as Raja mentioned, when the M8F was released it was never intended that this first generation of AURA could sync with other ROG products with AURA so that's why it was never advertised. One good news for those that have the Z170 Pro Gaming Aura which was released just last month (after X99 refresh) is using the second generation of AURA technology so that will be the only Z170 board that will have synchronization support with other ROG AURA products.
    that sucks. It literally was last week that I bought it.
    It's nice that it was never intended to work, but it would have been nice if this was mentioned specifically in the advertising. If it had been, I would probably have gone a different route.

    Bart

  8. #8
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    It's limited by hardware AFAIK. There were some fundamental changes on the X99 refresh boards that allow standby control. Its an evolutionary process, so there are gen on gen improvements that don't lend to backwards compatibility. Consumers always want as much as they can get and think what they bought yesterday or was designed a year ago is still the latest and greatest. It isn't. Thats how the industry works, and no doubt always will.


    "but that's not fair!"

    "who said anything was fair?"

    Don't mind me, I'm just a grumpy fart.
    Thanks for marginalizing the concerns of a customer who just spent $1000 for your products based, in part, on advertised aura specs.
    I don't feel like this is so much a case of me wanting yesterday's hardware to do something for which it wasn't designed. If the Aura advertising mentioned that essentially all the Z170 motherboards were yesterday's hardware, and incompatible. I probably wouldn't have bought one. my bad. I'm just a unhappy consumer expecting things that I don't deserve. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by %Bart%; 08-02-2016 at 03:45 PM.

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    I'm guessing the spatha and claymore won't sync either?

  10. #10
    ROG Member Array noodlemctwoodle PC Specs
    noodlemctwoodle PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Formula IX
    ProcessorIntel i7 7700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX DDR4 2666mhz
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix GTX 1080
    Sound CardROG Pheobus
    MonitorROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe
    Storage #2Samsung 950 Pro 512GB NVMe
    CPU CoolerCorsair H110
    CaseCorsair Air 540
    Power SupplyCorsair HX750I
    Keyboard ROG Claymore Core
    Mouse ROG Spartha
    Headset Kingston Hyper-X Cloud
    OS Windows 10 1709 x64
    Network RouterPFSense
    noodlemctwoodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    Imagine how I feel...

    I have the ROG Claymore, ROG Spatha, ROG GTX 1080 Strix 08G, ROG Formula VIII all bought for ROG Sync and now I find out I can't sync the motherboard and GPU due to a limitation on the motherboard, although when the Formula VIII was launched it was advertised that ROG Sync was coming in the near future to sync motherboard and GPU. Since then the Spatha and Claymore have come out with Aura with I bought to add to the light show, although now can only sync mouse and keyboard. I'm less than impressed given that I've literally spent £2000 on ROG and now the Formula VIII website has been changed and mentions nothing about Aura sync!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •