cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 Drained laptop battery won't charge.

Alex8850
Level 7
Hi,

I recently decided to "calibrate" my G751-CH71 laptop battery by reducing it to 0% energy. Now, when I try to recharge it, it stays at 0%, leaving the message "plugged in, charging". However, when I disconnect the charger, the laptop immediately shuts down, meaning the battery isn't really charging.

Any recommendations? Or should I send it to ASUS for a new battery.

Thanks in advance,

Alex
12 REPLIES 12

gtan777x
Level 7
I used to think like what you did there with the "calibrating the battery" esp coming from using a macbook pro for almost 3 years prior. however I've found that these gaming laptops dont really need calibration and if they are drained constantly to 0% it actually wears them down faster. My old G55's battery died that way. Wouldn't hold a single charge anymore so it was useless to keep the battery pack connected. Just had it hooked up to AC all day long. Was still able to sell it off for 1/3 the retail price and now I've got a G752 which I try to never use on battery as much as possible.

Make sure to drain your battery to 0% then charge it without turning it on for at least 10 hours. when you get it working download Power4Gear to monitor your battery health. Let your battery drain at least once a month. Otherwise let us know if you need to explore your repair options under your 12 month warranty.

I don't think Tom@Asus has anything to do with being an Asus employee or any kind of Mod for these forums.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
I don't think Tom@Asus has anything to do with being an Asus employee or any kind of Mod for these forums.
:cool:

The same thing is affecting my GL551-JX, except I didn't do any kind of 0 charge calibration. I updated to win10 Creator's a couple of weeks ago and noticed at about the same time that the battery wasn't charging and problems with running some games, could be totally unrelated though.

Clintlgm wrote:

To be called @ASUS you have to be an ASUS employee or representative.

JustinThyme
Level 13
These are lithium polymer batteries, not NiCad. They do not need to be calibrated or drained down to 0, that is actually counter productive. The chemistry, charging, discharging and everything is completely different.
Each individual cell is charged separately if you look there are a boat load of leads going to the battery. This is known as balance charging. If you managed to actually run it slap dead as in no voltage at all there is zero chance of recovery. There is a difference between cut off voltage and you just screwed the pooch and ruined it voltage.

My advice would be to leave it sit for a few hours until everything is at room temp then plug it in overnight, DONT TURN IT ON AND PLAY WITH IT!

If you wake the next morning and its still dead.....Congratulations, you have calibrated your battery to ZERO and there is no chance of recovery. You will need to get a new battery.

No need to send to ASUS unless you are uncomfortable or its still under warranty. Batteries are plentiful and not at all hard to find and takes all of about 20 minutes to replace if you take a 10 minute coffee break at the mid point.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Guys, I'm also having the same problem. I did 0 calibration in my G751 and it's not charging after that. It's just showing 0% plugged in, not charging. The led blinks red and green. Laptop shuts down after 1 min of usage.

Can you guys suggest me any method to repair this.
I'm from India and my warranty is expired.
Thanks in advance 🙂

Hi,
I have a similar issue. I left my G751JY on unattended and it didn't shut down, ran the battery to 0. I charged it afterwards, got partial recovery. The battery won't go beyond 85%. Is there a way to fix this, or a battery management tool such as Lenovo has? An earlier reply mentioned Power4Gear, I'll look into that. If anyone has a clue as to how to restore the battery I'd love to hear about it.
thanks,

Steve