cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gtx 1070 performance issue (?)

stefan_gk
Level 7
Hello everyone!

I have been having some issues with my new card,and as a last resort before going back to the store and try to return it,i thought to write my problem here in case anyone could help me 🙂
A few days ago,i bought an Asus gtx 1070 rog strix OC.
I have not been getting the fps that other people do and i am experiencing stutters and fps drops all over the place.
Here's 2 photos of benchmarks scores at 1080p
58606 58607

I used DDU to clear all my previous GPU drivers and clean installed the new ones. I tried all three driver versions for the gtx 1070,plus the hotfix drivers that were supposed to correct the DPC issue.
I have also tried with win 10(clean install),but it made no difference. I messed with every setting i could think of,or read on forums.

For example,in bf4 i barely reach 95-100 fps on ultra at 1080p and its the same in overwatch. I watched a few videos with these games with the same settings,and they were reaching 140-170 fps in bf4 and 150-160 in overwatch.

The clock speed and the gpu usage is like everyone else's from what i read.

It seems that everything is working ok,but the performance is very low. I was having a better experience in games with my gtx 780,lol.

Is there a chance that my gpu is faulty?

My PC:
i7 4790
Asus h97 pro gamer
16gb hyperX
850w CM psu
win 8.1 64b
12 REPLIES 12

cljustin
Level 8
Have you checked GPU Tweak II and made sure you didn't accidentally underclocked it?

cljustin wrote:
Have you checked GPU Tweak II and made sure you didn't accidentally underclocked it?

Yes,i have made sure that it runs at the correct clock speeds. I also monitor the gpu usage and clock speeds while i am ingame or benchmarking.
Everything is as it should be. Except the performance.

have you check your ram speed?
if you using DDR3 ram and working atr 1333Mhz it will have a huge bottomneck to your 1070....
i have experience the same problem.
let's say same setting witch 3
before my ram was running at auto, maybe 1333Mhz or 1600Mhz i don't know. i get 50FPS around
but after i overclock the ram to 2000Mhz i get above 55FPS 10%

also you could try overclock you CPU, if the CPU really running at 3.6Ghz, it might, or might be the bottom neck for the card.
try overclock it to above 4.0 or 4.2Ghz

well in all the tweak i have done i do notice that my CPU i5 3570K and ram is bottomneck for the 1070 card if they are under default setting.
so overclock them will be a good method to improve the card performance, if you are using older i5 Cpu like 3XXX 4XXX.

Alucard147 wrote:
have you check your ram speed?
if you using DDR3 ram and working atr 1333Mhz it will have a huge bottomneck to your 1070....
i have experience the same problem.
let's say same setting witch 3
before my ram was running at auto, maybe 1333Mhz or 1600Mhz i don't know. i get 50FPS around
but after i overclock the ram to 2000Mhz i get above 55FPS 10%

also you could try overclock you CPU, if the CPU really running at 3.6Ghz, it might, or might be the bottom neck for the card.
try overclock it to above 4.0 or 4.2Ghz

well in all the tweak i have done i do notice that my CPU i5 3570K and ram is bottomneck for the 1070 card if they are under default setting.
so overclock them will be a good method to improve the card performance, if you are using older i5 Cpu like 3XXX 4XXX.

My motherboard supports up to 1600Mhz mem speed,which is the speed that my RAM is currently set at.
Also i cannot overclock my cpu,because i have the non-K version. But i dont think that an i7-4790 could bottleneck my gpu. I know that it is an older gen cpu,but it still is a pretty powerful cpu.

sorry bro i didn't see that's an I7 i thought it was an I5
yea your CPU will not a problem.
might be ram?
also the case?
because this 1070 will do whatever it takes to stop the temperature at 73C by default setting
if your case do have a good air flow you will have no problem achieve over 2050Mhz
my recommendation will be open MSI afterburner, monitor the GPU frequent and fan load, temp.
try a graphic card based game like witch 3 or something. setting to ultra and off the V-sysc
while you play just keep an eye on the Gpu frequent and temp
check if your GPU can hit around 2000 to 2050mhz and what's you top temperature.
if your temperature hit the roof and your GPU working under 1900Mhz, or even lower, you should consider that card was limited by temperature.

Alucard147 wrote:
sorry bro i didn't see that's an I7 i thought it was an I5

No worries man,and thank you for the replies

Alucard147 wrote:

might be ram?
also the case?
because this 1070 will do whatever it takes to stop the temperature at 73C by default setting
if your case do have a good air flow you will have no problem achieve over 2050Mhz
my recommendation will be open MSI afterburner, monitor the GPU frequent and fan load, temp.
try a graphic card based game like witch 3 or something. setting to ultra and off the V-sysc
while you play just keep an eye on the Gpu frequent and temp
check if your GPU can hit around 2000 to 2050mhz and what's you top temperature.
if your temperature hit the roof and your GPU working under 1900Mhz, or even lower, you should consider that card was limited by temperature.

My ram seems to be working fine,checked it with memtest,no problems there.
I have a NZXT s340 and the airflow is decent. the 2 front fans are blowing directly at the gpu.
My gpu temps never go over 66-67C under full load and the clock speed boosts from 1633 to 1980-2030 and stays in that range when i am ingame or benchmarking.
I could not wait anymore to find a solution and i have contacted Asus to request a replacement,since the store i bought it from says that i have to deal with them directly.

Nate152
Hi Stefan_gk

I'd say it's likely your 4790 slowing you down a little, most people with a 1070 are using new hardware. Here's my score with my 1070 overclocked and my 6700k at stock 4.2GHz.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Stefan_gk

I'd say it's likely your 4790 slowing you down a little, most people with a 1070 are using new hardware. Here's my score with my 1070 overclocked and my 6700k at stock 4.2GHz.

Hi Nate and sorry for the late reply,
my cpu load never goes over 60-70% when benchmarking or when i am playing a game. Could it really a previous gen i7 hold back the card by this much? I am not an expert or anything,but i thought that it would be ok.
Besides the lower benchmarking scores(which do not worry me,or care very much if i am being honest) i am also getting low fps and stutters ingame. That is my main issue.
Even if my cpu was kinda bottlenecking the gpu in terms of raw performance,wouldn't i at least have smooth gameplay? No lags,no stutters and certainly higher fps than my old gtx 780(i am gettin about the same or lower with the 1070)?

Also thank you all for your replies.

Nate152
Yeah you should be getting much better performance than a gtx 780.

Your frames per second will depend on what resolution you're playing at and the game settings, if you're cranking up the antialiasing try turning it down to x 2 or off and see if this improves gameplay.

You can try enabling V-Sync, if you're frames per second is going over your monitors refresh rate this will give stuttery gameplay.

What monitor do you have?