cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL552VW Cooling Fan - is cooling the bottom of the laptop necessary?

Dan87
Level 8
Hi guys! Nice to meet you all. I am a lucky owner of this lovely laptop.

Before spending lots of money on a cooling pad, I'd like to ask for your advise. I know this issue has been already discussed, but I believe my questions might be more specific.

Basically most of the air from our laptop is thrown away from the side. Therefore I was wondering if a cooling pad could be usefull at all on a GL552VW as it would cool the bottom of the laptop. I have read a topic regarding another model (G751JT) in which I believe they say pretty much the same. Here's the link https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55868-Cooling-pad-recommendation-for-G751JT

I am puzzled. If the cooling pad is not necessary/usefull, I would buy something more comfortable for my legs in case I use the laptop while I sit on the sofa or lay on the bed. Or at least something cheaper then the £30 pad I've seen.

What do you think? Thank you very much guys!
6 REPLIES 6

Tom2
Level 7
I believe even when you are cooling just the plastic it will help as materials and components can be affected. For my gaming stations I always leave a laptop cooling pad on my desk where i put my laptop. Gets warm when i take it to lan parties without the pad. I say get one for sure.

Hi Tom and thank you for your reply.

I see what you mean. It definitely make sense. May I ask you what pad model you own? And (if you ever checked) how many degrees does it manage to take down from your laptop?

Heat-wise, I was wondering if a vacuum fan would be more effective to reduce the heat. But for now I'm thinking about getting a pad because its more handy for my legs.

Whats up Dan,

Not sure what the model is but it has 2 usb ports and 2 fans on the bottom. Looks to be 90mm sized fans. Havent checked the temps I just know its been a lot more comfortable for my wrists where there is usually heat. I have a friend with a regular pad and it seems to work just fine its a lot more comfortable than mine though as it is more ergonomic with no moving parts for a solid feel. At work I just use a normal art tray to elevate my laptop and give it great air flow haha. And my laptop is on 8 hours a day. But make sure not to neglect cleaning out your vents with an air duster at least once a month as dust can accumulate heat dramatically in most cases.

I see Tom. As I need something comfortable for my legs and that makes the laptop breath (and get some cool air, preferably) I will definitely go for a cooling pad! Thanks for sharing your experience!

cooling pad is definitely worth it. the air is going to laptop and cooling its components inside from the bottom, then the hot air is going out from exhaust on the left side, in case of GL552.
so cooling the bottom with cooling pad is much better because it cools the air going inside the laptop. and even better for this is to open the hardware upgrade panel on the bottom, because more cooling air is going inside. but on the other hand even more dust is going there, so its up to every user prefers.

Kyblik wrote:
cooling pad is definitely worth it. the air is going to laptop and cooling its components inside from the bottom, then the hot air is going out from exhaust on the left side, in case of GL552.
so cooling the bottom with cooling pad is much better because it cools the air going inside the laptop. and even better for this is to open the hardware upgrade panel on the bottom, because more cooling air is going inside. but on the other hand even more dust is going there, so its up to every user prefers.

Don't take off the hardware upgrade panel just for cooling.