ROG Member Array

GPU Tweak II design issue

Is there an issue with this programs algorithm?

I am having a problem setting a correct clock with this program. Here is what happens:

Setting the "boost" to anything results in an unintended amount of boost. For example, I want set the boost to 1936 MHz and I change the setting in GPU Tweak II to reflect that. I then run 3D mark firestrike / Heaven / Furmark and immediately crash. I am not crashing because my silicon chip is "garbage" or because its "not the silicon lottery". I am crashing because the card is actually trying to boost upwards of 2131- 2200 MHz. The GPU monitor attached to GPU Tweak II confirms this.

It does not matter how I change the setting the results are always the same. Any designated "boost" in GPU Tweak II is actually much lower than the boost that occurs when activated.

I have currently found a stable boost number. For this I am using a boost setting of 1911 MHz and the actual achieved boost that is stable is between 2012 - 2063 MHz. It works but the numbers do not match and we shouldn't have to do any guess work with these settings. We should be achieving exactly what we type into GPU Tweak.

This program does not seem to be functioning properly.

Please advise

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
    Asus ROG GTX 1080 Strix (non OC)
    Last edited by nimlocke; 08-02-2016 at 07:05 PM. Reason: added current video card and Mobo

Quote Originally Posted by nimlocke View Post
    I have currently found a stable boost number. For this I am using a boost setting of 1911 MHz and the actual achieved boost that is stable is between 2012 - 2063 MHz. It works but the numbers do not match and we shouldn't have to do any guess work with these settings. We should be achieving exactly what we type into GPU Tweak.
    Hello

Seems everything is working as should be expected. Research nVidia's GPU Boost 3.0 for normal behavior when setting the clock speed.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Is there an issue with this programs algorithm?

I am having a problem setting a correct clock with this program. Here is what happens:

Setting the "boost" to anything results in an unintended amount of boost. For example, I want set the boost to 1936 MHz and I change the setting in GPU Tweak II to reflect that. I then run 3D mark firestrike / Heaven / Furmark and immediately crash. I am not crashing because my silicon chip is "garbage" or because its "not the silicon lottery". I am crashing because the card is actually trying to boost upwards of 2131- 2200 MHz. The GPU monitor attached to GPU Tweak II confirms this.

It does not matter how I change the setting the results are always the same. Any designated "boost" in GPU Tweak II is actually much lower than the boost that occurs when activated.

This program does not seem to be functioning properly.

Please advise

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
    Asus ROG GTX 1080 Strix (non OC)
    Keep that stable overclock U have I have the same card wich boosts just like yours. GPU boost 3.0 works depending on voltage, power target and temperature. As long as the temps are good it will try to boost higher than what you actually set it too. IF you had the OC model then mb you would get another 25-50Mhz stable, thats all. Keep your card and be happy

ROG Member Array

Yeah, I understand what you are both saying. I had thought that GPU Tweak II would take the GPU Boost 3.0 into consideration and target the actual boost that you set into GPU Tweak. It just sucks that I had to do guess work in getting it to the sweet spot.

I could understand if GPU Tweak showed - Core clock setting as 1911 MHz and then the boost was going up to 2063 MHz, but that is not the case. GPU Tweak is saying that my boost is set to 1911 MHz but its actually much higher than intended. I guess I could leave it as it is an be happy that I have a stable over clock. I was just hoping for accuracy in my settings.

So this GPU tweak II is working as intended with this? Can an ASUS rep confirm this?

Also it doesn't seem to matter if I change the voltage %. It never maintains a constant voltage from the GPU tweak settings. I have seen the voltage peak to 1.081 when I played around with this setting but it was never consistent even with temps staying below 57c. In fact the cooling on the card is excellent and NEVER hits throttling temps yet it seems to throttle back anyway.... I don't understand this... especially with added voltage not increasing stability at all at any %.

Any suggestions?

regards,

Nim

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Yeah, I understand what you are both saying. I had thought that GPU Tweak II would take the GPU Boost 3.0 into consideration and target the actual boost that you set into GPU Tweak. It just sucks that I had to do guess work in getting it to the sweet spot.

I could understand if GPU Tweak showed - Core clock setting as 1911 MHz and then the boost was going up to 2063 MHz, but that is not the case. GPU Tweak is saying that my boost is set to 1911 MHz but its actually much higher than intended. I guess I could leave it as it is an be happy that I have a stable over clock. I was just hoping for accuracy in my settings.

So this GPU tweak II is working as intended with this? Can an ASUS rep confirm this?

Also it doesn't seem to matter if I change the voltage %. It never maintains a constant voltage from the GPU tweak settings. I have seen the voltage peak to 1.081 when I played around with this setting but it was never consistent even with temps staying below 57c. In fact the cooling on the card is excellent and NEVER hits throttling temps yet it seems to throttle back anyway.... I don't understand this... especially with added voltage not increasing stability at all at any %.

Any suggestions?

regards,

Nim
    I believe that the boost clock you set in GPU Tweak is the max boost the card will do IF it is close to throttling temps. If you keep temps. lower it will boost higher giving you more performance.

Moderator Array

Hi nimlocke,

The frequency adjustment option in GPU Tweak II is based on the reference slider point of the GPU boost frequency, hence such behavior.
    We have not taken the approach by defining it as the GPU Boost Frequency limit as we found the GPU frequency may be limited and not boost to the defined value in certain cases.

For your situation, we will suggest to try and setting the Power Target higher, allowing the GPU to consume higher voltage under high load (high current drain), which may hopefully help to improve the situation a little better.

Cheers.